Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Champion
    If you look very closely at the seats you can see lap belts I believe.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,NEVER GIVE UP!!!

RC Champion
    Tmaxx225 it would probally go around 105ish.

Those lap belts were there just to drive it to the tire store to pick up my wheels. Ive had 4 point harness seat betls for a while now on all 4 seats. And a lap belt in the middle of the bench seat that will be converted to a 2 point soon. I also have a winshield Here is how it sits now.

Well I towed her down to Destin FL. Its been tons of fun driving around the beach roads.

New Pics.

Windshield installed, and a couple of other small stuff.

I have a video but It was to long to upload. I will try to get another one tomorrow.
    Last edited by rustler 007; 07-28-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

RC Champion
    Neat pictures, man I bet that things fun to drive
    I know it's been said probably twenty times on this thread
    but I can't keep from saying AMAZING JOB!!! Wow that thing is
    awesome.

genXrated
    Beautiful! Excellent job on your new toy!

RC Champion
    What is the wind shield made of, Plexi Glass?

RC Champion
    Thanks Guys,

1979chevy its plexi glass. But soon I might go with tempered glass.
    You can only have 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why the switch to tempered glass?
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

bbay1977
    Hello Rustler 007,
    Nice looking ride. I was on the net looking around and seen a thread from you. I came here and seen your sweet ride. I do have a question for you though. I also live in Georgia and was wondering what all I had to do to make my rail buggy street legal? It was years ago, but it needs to be completely restored. It took me some time, but I did get the VIN# off the tunnel. I am trying to ge a new title for it now. I am not sure if I need one or not though. All I got with mine was just a bill of sale. I am going to get a new bill of sale made that has the VIN# on it as soon as I can. Any information will be a hige help.

James
    Last edited by bbay1977; 08-01-2011 at 01:56 AM.

RC Champion
    Nice project. What motor?

In Ga you need:

Drivers Side Mirror
    Rear View Mirror
    Front/ Rear Turn Signals
    Head Lights
    Tail Lights
    License Plate Light
    Rear Running Lights at night(your tail lights have to be dim when brake isn't pressed)
    You don't need a windshield, but I highly recommend it. A mosquito to your eye going 55mph, isn't good.

Now here is the thing. Its against federal law to remove a VIN from one chassis to another. But since yours is a Pan Buggy, you can just register it as a Volkswagen Beetle.
    You can only have 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Why the switch to tempered glass?

I meant safety glass. It has a cleaner look. Also, plexi glass scratches VERY easy. Driving on Florida beach roads ruined mine, because their was tons of sand thrown up from other cars.
    You can only have 2

bbay1977
    Thanks for the information. I have a glass shop near me and was going to get them to make me a windshield for it. I have to get the new Bill of Sale made and then get a officer to fill out the T22B form. I had them run the VIN#, but nothing came back. I was worried that the pan might have been stolen, but they told me the VIN# wasn't in the computers where the last tag was bought back in 1986. I just hope that the DMV says the same thing. As for all the requirements, I was going to place all of that on anyway, so I have all of that covered. I was also going to add a whindshield whiper to mine also. I didn't see one on yours, do you have any problems with that on your buggy? With all of the custom work I want to do with mine, it is going to take some time to finish. I have to add in some more rails to make it more safe to drive. This was built over 50years ago and I guess he didn't think the extra rails was needed. The older man is 72 now and he built it when he was 17 he said. To me I got a good deal on it. I only gave $500 for the way it is sitting now.
    It was all cut from a 1966 type 3 VW. The engine is the 1600cc type 3 and the pan is also a type 3. It has disk brakes on the front and drum on the rear. I was told that I shouldn't have taken a first build like this to be my first, but since I already have it, just don't give up on it. I shouldn't have too much money invested in it. I am going to do all of the work myself. I have never built a engine before, but I have seen some rebuild videos and it looks easy. The most It looks like I can mess up is the gasket set. I am going to have the heads reworked and case cleaned and inspected. All of the other work will be done by me. I haven't seen too many places that carry parts to make a type 3 for off road. Most parts I come across is for buggys like yours or they are for baja's bugs. I will have to make most of my parts for the frame.

James

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler 007 View Post
    I meant safety glass. It has a cleaner look. Also, plexi glass scratches VERY easy. Driving on Florida beach roads ruined mine, because their was tons of sand thrown up from other cars.
    Would lexan have the same issue? I know it's lighter but then again also comes with a hefty price tag.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Champion
    Just put some rainX on your windshield, that stuff works.
    You shouldn't have to put a wiper on it if you do that.

bbay1977
    I haven't got a price for the winshield, but it should be between $100 to $150. I will have to get the size and call about a price. This buggy has a small whindshield, so it shouldn't cost much. As for the RainX. I will have to try that first. I didn't want a big wiper motor bolted on anyway. If the it works, I will just leave the wiper off of it. I don't think I will be driving in the rain much anyway. I was going to install it just incase I was out and it did rain.

RC Champion
    Yeah I didn't really think you would be out in the rain in a buggy with no roof on purpose LOL.

RC Qualifier
    in a hole.... with my rustler and an electrical outlet
    i just discovered this thread and it reminded me why i want to hurry up and become an adult XD

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bbay1977 View Post
    I haven't got a price for the winshield, but it should be between $100 to $150. I will have to get the size and call about a price. This buggy has a small whindshield, so it shouldn't cost much. As for the RainX. I will have to try that first. I didn't want a big wiper motor bolted on anyway. If the it works, I will just leave the wiper off of it. I don't think I will be driving in the rain much anyway. I was going to install it just incase I was out and it did rain.
    I bought Plexi Glass from home depot. It was all of 20 bucks, also it was easy to cut.

Also getting caught in the rain SUCKS. I gotta try rainex. Thats a good idea.

BBay there is an amazing engine builder in austell GA. His shop is called Tims VW repair. I would recommend him building your engine. VW's are simple but can be very tricky when building the engine.
    You can only have 2

RC Qualifier
    Do you mind me asking how much this cost to build?
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Champion
    The buggy went way over budget...it ran just over 6,000.

Here's that video that I kept forgetting to put up. Im working on a camera mount that I can easily mount to the to of the buggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tepa18fRddE
    You can only have 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler 007 View Post
    I bought Plexi Glass from home depot. It was all of 20 bucks, also it was easy to cut.

Also getting caught in the rain SUCKS. I gotta try rainex. Thats a good idea.

BBay there is an amazing engine builder in austell GA. His shop is called Tims VW repair. I would recommend him building your engine. VW's are simple but can be very tricky when building the engine.
    Yeah, rain X works, so does plain car wax, lets the water just roll off.

bbay1977
    Thanks Rustler 007, I will have to check on the guy in Austell. I haven't had a chance to call about a price on the windshield yet. Been out of town on 2 trips. First trip was to Great Smokey Mountains and the 2nd trip was to Panama City Beach. The rain X is a thought though. If the price of the glass is going to cost too much, I will jusr add in plexi glass. My main thing I am looking for is safety. Either way, I am going to use the rainX. I never did like the idea of adding a wiper motor and having it in the way anyway. If the rain get too bad, I will be pulling over underneath something anyway. I am going to start my dash build this week and have been looking at prices of gauges. Man they almost want a arm and a leg for gauges. I thought about getting a cluster out of a PY Cruzier, but not sure if I could make the speedometer work. At least the fiberglass dash want cost me a dime to make. I have already had all the stuff to build it. I will only have the time in it.
    Rustler 007, was it hard for you to find someone to give you insurance on your buggy? I am going to have them insure mine as a rail buggy though. Incase I get into a wreck, they just don't drop the insurance and say they thought it was a VW bug.

RC Champion
    Hope all works out bbay1977. Check out ww.Thesamba.com. Go to the HBB offroad section, and post up a build thread. Id like to see how it turns out.

I havent updated in a while. Ive basically worked out all the bugs with the buggy. Ive had a blast with it.Ive taken it to a couple of car shows too. Its kinda funny how people walk right by $70k chevelles and Camaros too look at the buggy.

Here are pics.

First car show about a month ago.

Here some from yesterday

Funny thing is, I went mudding that morning, it just cleaned up good.

I repainted the buggy, and used a base/clear coat. So now its alot shinier, and doesn't nick like it did before. The first two pics are before the repainting.
    You can only have 2

RC Champion
    Sounds nice,
    (somethings wrong with my cpu settings )
    If you don't mind telling me, did you keep the same color or change it?
    Thanks.

RC Champion
    I painted it the same color, I just used clear coat this time. Now it has more of a gloss look, compared to a dull look.
    You can only have 2

RC Champion
    Ahhh, ok gotcha, thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123