Thread: battery heat

RC Racer

Cool battery heat

heyy at the moment im running stock brushed erevo, with 2x 8.4 5000 nimhs and the metal from the battery is sticking out from the batterys getting so hot, and iv just ordered a mm 2650kv combo. and i was wondering if my batterys will get hot with that system? has anyone had any trouble similar to this??
    Traxxas and yamaha - cant do anything without them

RC Champion
    if you ordered a castle creations brushless combo... I hope you have considered ordering some lipo cells too...

but if you cells are getting very hot, there is probably a malfunction in the nimhs ,,but you say both get hot hot,,,

nimhs can get hot hot,,, they most likely also will on a brushless system...

My kid has a MERV and Rally vxl... his nimhs get so hot they almost cant be touched after driving

when I pound my ERBE with Lipos... you barely can feel the heat :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Champion
    nothing wrong with his nimhs getting hot, hot on the brushless vxl... they always did... but lipo is a good advice I suppose most on the forum will agree with running brushless....
    Slightly Addicted

RC poster
    I played around with a FLIR camera and the results was pretty interesting.

ERBE with Outware fitted and powered by ********* 5000mAh LiPo 2s
    Ran it close to cutoff and about 50% wot, outside temp was around + 2-3 C.
    First picture is taken above and second is pointing at the battery with the batterytray door opened.

Actually the tranny got warmer than the lipos so go LiPo
    Last edited by Cyrres; 03-25-2011 at 09:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds to me like yer over geared. Try gearing down. And mwi you are wrong my friend. They should not be getting real hot. Sure they get warm, but not hot hot like he is describing. If our over geared the batteries are working hard to keep up with the amperage draw the motor is pulling. My brushed revo is geared down for torque and climbing and my batteries barely get warm. But when I had it geared for speed, I accidently got them so hot it started to melt the plastic shrink wrap. Which is not normal and not a good thing. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tha-mule; 03-25-2011 at 09:23 AM.

RC Champion
    maybe I exagerated at work in between things with a fast explanation to get the picture clear... the nimhs in my boys trucks (vxls) can be surprisingly warm warm, not hot hot as in hot ... now it is hard to know what 56fletcher means by "so hot" .
    and I am probably also overwhelmed by how warm the nimhs get compared to my lipos.... guess that why I call them hot :-)

LOL I really need a temp gun..... or FLIR..... exact science is better than terms like hot, warm and so on ... OMG LOL

but I feel fletchers so hot is not a good thing. Fletcher get some Lipos... a friendly advise
    Slightly Addicted

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    *yawn*

Nimhs run hot, it's what they do when you put any kind of load on them; 10lb truck + geared for 30mph = decent amount of load.

I don't know why you went with the 2650kv motor vs the sensible 2200kv choice ( 2650 is smaller afterall- faster doesn't mean anything if it runs hotter as a result... ), but anyway- you will 100% need decent lipo batts to run that BL system; nimhs will fry within a couple runs for sure.

Read, learn & enjoy:

EREVO FAQ
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup your MMM esc for maximum performance:

CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:

USEFUL LINKS
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    *yawn*

Nimhs run hot, it's what they do when you put any kind of load on them; 10lb truck + geared for 30mph = decent amount of load.

I don't know why you went with the 2650kv motor vs the sensible 2200kv choice ( 2650 is smaller afterall- faster doesn't mean anything if it runs hotter as a result... ), but anyway- you will 100% need decent lipo batts to run that BL system; nimhs will fry within a couple runs for sure.

Read, learn & enjoy:

EREVO FAQ
    TUTORIALS

CASTLE LINK GUIDE

USEFUL LINKS
    how do you know so much? your a genius and "mwi" coz iv got a peice of metal sticking out from one of my batteries iv covered that part with a bit of double sided tape and iv got electrical tape covering it and the battery gets so hot that it pretty much incinigrates the piece of double sided tape and electical tape. :\

RC Racer
    *yawn*

Read, learn & enjoy:

EREVO FAQ
    TUTORIALS

CASTLE LINK GUIDE

USEFUL LINKS
    yeah when i ordered it, i didnt know much about the mamba monster and i thought that the more kv the better but now i know, in the future i could just buy the 2200kv motor

RC Racer
    the only thing about lipos is that they cost heaps here in australia

RC Champion
    Lipos are expensive everywhere but its the fuel for your truck.. and the way to decent rides and fun ones. Traxxas !
    Don't sell your trucks with any batteries at all. And spare your customers the dilemmas

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Slightly Addicted

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^That. R/C is an expensive hobby, especially when you start playing with the larger, heavier & faster ( BL ) models.

Check out the Chinese vendor we all love though, Im sure they have an Oz warehouse; even if they dont, the prices are so low that the higher shipping is easily offset & you still end up with great packs for alot less than regular 'name brand' lipos. The ******* ******** packs are the best they sell, worth the money

P.S. 15 years in the hobby & I never stop reading/ learning, that's how I know so much
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    P.S. 15 years in the hobby & I never stop reading/ learning, that's how I know so much
    Well, that, plus, you don't see this guy sit on his hinder and post "I don't wanna go do research, somebody feed me an answer for free" type posts. Takes a considerable amount of effort to go educate one's self. And twice as much to make it palatable enough to share. Army, thanks for takin' that on.

Or you could do like I do, "Whoops! Note to self, don't do that again....."

(Please note: I'm not down on anyone asking even the most basic of question, but please don't make the short blurbs you get here your only education.)