Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by becdino View Post
    Why the sway bars?
    I'm thinking about buying a used pede and making it as light as possible also.
    Nice build!
    Dunno, they were only $10 shipped on eBay so I said what the heck I'll try them
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbcomputers View Post
    Dunno, they were only $10 shipped on eBay so I said what the heck I'll try them
    LOL ok that is what I thought I could not think of a point.
    But that works

RC Champion
    When you instaled your ten-t shocks did you lose up travel or down. I think you showed 4mm to 3mm. I have them on my slash and didn't lose or gain any.
    Thanks for the tip on the shock damping, going to give that a try.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrocker View Post
    When you instaled your ten-t shocks did you lose up travel or down. I think you showed 4mm to 3mm. I have them on my slash and didn't lose or gain any.
    Thanks for the tip on the shock damping, going to give that a try.
    I lost down travel...well ,I set them up that way at least (because that's what I wanted). The Ten-T shocks are a few mm's longer then the Traxxas ones. Here's a pic (not mine):

I installed small spacers under the shock piston so that the stocks don't totally open all the way. I ended up making the rear -4mm's same as the fronts. All this does is limit the amount the shocks open, it's compressed length does not change. With the 4mm spacers installed the shocks are about 1-2mm shorter then stock (which is what I wanted). I originally was using the farthest holes (closest to the tire) on the a-arm with the shock guards installed to the truck. With my shorted Ten-T shocks I moved both front and back one hole on the a-arms closer to the center of the car while maintaining roughly the same chassis height as I had before. I did this so I would have height adjustments in both directions, higher or lower if necessary.

What springs, pistons, and oil wt. are you running with your Slash w/ Ten-T shocks?
    Last edited by dumbcomputers; 04-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey. I have a customized stampede. Couldnt tell it was one until i looked at receipt. It has emx aluminum frame and a castle creations 5700 motor with a pirahna 2000 battery in it. How fast would you guys say it would go? I need to know 1: because my antenna has short range and wont allow me to go as far. Also how much is a good range antenna and how much are driveshafts(mine keep coming out of sockets)

RC Champion
    I only have them on the rear right now, waiting for parts to put the fronts on. I am running 30wt oil with the black springs. I am going to try drilling the holes in the pistons out but one at a time. Also have a set of silver springs on back order. I am running them on a 4x4 slash with 2.8 and buggy wheels.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice built !!! love the tires/wheels just to double check are those imex 2.2 with rpm 2.2 wheels right? how are the temps with the castle combo what gearing are you using?
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    nice built !!! love the tires/wheels just to double check are those imex 2.2 with rpm 2.2 wheels right? how are the temps with the castle combo what gearing are you using?
    Yep, they are IMEX Claw Dawgs 2.2" tires (*4" diameter) on 2.2" RPM "wide" Revolvers.

I only ran the car twice so far, I was waiting for all my spur and pinion gears to come in before proceeding. My first run was on 19/54 and it was slow as heck, my next run on 22/54 was much better but it was on a half dead pack. I just hooked up my temp sensor on my Spektrum telemetry setup so I can monitor motor temps from this point on. Currently I have 20/50 in it right now but haven't run it yet. My plan is to keep gearing it down till I get temps low enough.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what temps are you getting, how slow is the car?

RC Qualifier
    what temps are you getting, how slow is the car?
    I haven't checked temps yet...just installed the temp sensor like I said in my previous post. 19/54 if I had to guess was about ~35MPH. 22/54 is geared to 47MPH but I had a dead pack when I tried but it wasn't slow. Again, don't know the temps yet.

I want this Stampede to be at least faster then a stock MERV on 2s.
    Last edited by dumbcomputers; 04-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    + Front Tekno CVD's

Finally about ready to go Only thing really left is an aluminum motor mount which is already on order.

RC Racer
    You are going for lighter right?
    Have you done a weight test yet?
    Your build VS a stock pede?

RC Qualifier
    You are going for lighter right?
    Have you done a weight test yet?
    Your build VS a stock pede?
    4lbs 15oz without body and battery

RC Racer
    What is stock?

RC Qualifier
    What is stock?
    Didn't weight mine before I started. Traxxas claims ~4.2 lbs for the Stampede and ~5lbs for the Slash Ultimate, but I don't know if they included the electronics, body, etc. in that measurement.

RC Racer
    I wounder what is the best lighter the better or is 4.2-5 lbs the best?

RC Qualifier
    I haven't checked temps yet...just installed the temp sensor like I said in my previous post. 19/54 if I had to guess was about ~35MPH. 22/54 is geared to 47MPH but I had a dead pack when I tried but it wasn't slow. Again, don't know the temps yet.

I want this Stampede to be at least faster then a stock MERV on 2s.
    me too. After running this on sunday i kind of miss my merv..

Looks good!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    me too. After running this on sunday i kind of miss my merv..

Looks good!
    MERV was fast no doubt, but wasn't very fun unless you had a smooth off-road surface. When it get's rocky or too bumpy the MERV was just too small. It also couldn't do grass for squat. Ultimately I sold mine becuase it's so limited to where you can run it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Try a CC 3800, she'll move along just fine lol. 15/54 got me running around 47-50mph. Just a guess on speed, im catching up to and passing traffic in a 40mph zone lol.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Try a CC 3800, she'll move along just fine lol. 15/54 got me running around 47-50mph. Just a guess on speed, im catching up to and passing traffic in a 40mph zone lol.
    I have one Currently have mine geared to 47MPH but haven't run it yet. Hopefully the temps are tolerable. Even if it runs hot...who cares...at $90 ESC/motor combo I can sell the ESC for ~$60-$70 and get a new $30 motor

RC Qualifier
    Your run of the mill black tape and heat shrink shaft mod.

RC Qualifier
    are you going to get full steering out of that?

RC Qualifier
    are you going to get full steering out of that?
    Touches a hair on full right turns, but that's why they make end point adjustments on the radio. I usually run it at 80-90% steering rate anyway

Biggest issue is you can't take off/on the front bulkheads without removing the rear first and pulling the center shaft out the back.

Last edited by dumbcomputers; 04-13-2011 at 09:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah Racing motor mount and a upgraded rubber sealed ceramic bearing. I am blown away with the quality of this piece considering the price. It is clearly machined and not cast and fit perfectly.

RC Qualifier
    Shaft mod too big Had to redo it with a smaller diameter.

RC Qualifier
    Test Runs today, mostly on-road and some grass full throttle non-stop blasts back and forth. Ambient was around 68-70* on 2s 8000mah 20C Lipo.

20/50 = Thermal'ed ESC with in a couple of mins. Motor never made it above 110*.
    19/50 = Thermal'ed ESC in about 5mins. Motor never made it above 120*.
    17/50 = Ran it for about 10mins and it didn't Thermal. Motor never made it much past 130*.

I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with it's current performance 20/50 was really fast and fun, 19/50 was still pretty fast, 17/50 is still in the "fast" category but nothing that outrageous. Gotta get an ESC fan to see if I'll help.

Would 3s help my situation? Would 3s on lower gearing give me higher speeds w/ lower ESC temps?

RC Racer
    Did I not read something some where but why the 50 spur?

RC Qualifier
    I
    Did I not read something some where but why the 50 spur?
    4" tall tires.

RC Qualifier
    I

4" tall tires.
    try a 52 spur then. Maybe that little amount will get you where you want to be.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A 3s lipo will give more speed and punch, but the esc and motor will get more hotter in less time, I'm still not sure the esc can hold 3s lipo, IMO your truck is not properly geared.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-14-2011 at 08:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    A 3s lipo will give more speed and punch, but the esc and motor will get more hotter in less time, IMO our truck is not geared properly 4'' tall tires are about the same as stock tires if not a little smaller.
    Stock Stampede tires are 4.8" and stock Slash tires are 4.3". With 4" tall tires and 17/50 it's geared to about 40MPH which is about the ballpark the car is running in. Like I said earlier, not slow but not really that fast either. It's a bit slower then a MERV on 2s and my ERBE on 4s.

Another benefit of the 50-T spur is it is easier to install/remove the slipper clutch assembly and the motor rides lower for a lower CG.

RC Qualifier
    try a 52 spur then. Maybe that little amount will get you where you want to be.

I could also put a smaller pinion, that's not really the issue. Trying to get more speed out of the car.

Would putting in a MMP help me run 19/50 with my setup?
    Last edited by dumbcomputers; 04-14-2011 at 08:32 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stock Stampede tires are 4.8" and stock Slash tires are 4.3"
    sorry was thinking on the slash...try this if not already, http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/index.html

RC Qualifier
    sorry was thinking on the slash...try this if not already, http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/index.html
    I've been using it....This is what the calculator tells me which agrees with my real-life findings.

20/50 = ~47MPH
    17/50 = ~40MPH

The problem is I feel that 40MPH is slow and want to go faster. Yes I can gear it down to solve the ESC thermal issue but that really doesn't solve my problem as it will be slower then it currently is.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm...maybe I should get some bullet adapters and try this guy out. Looks like it will barely fit.

BTW, Castle doesn't have any recommendations for the Stampede but for a Slash 4x4 the highest gearing they recommend is 15/54 which only puts it at 35MPH on 2s...Talk about slow!

Last edited by dumbcomputers; 04-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Im running a MMP with 15/54. Temps on the motor are under 150 and esc is about 110 on a 2s. That's after a really abusive bash session. Not sure what the difference is between our calculations but im in the 40+ mph range. I will be jammin on 3s very soon too.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Im running a MMP with 15/54. Temps on the motor are under 150 and esc is about 110 on a 2s. That's after a really abusive bash session. Not sure what the difference is between our calculations but im in the 40+ mph range. I will be jammin on 3s very soon too.
    Thanks. What was your ambient on that run? Also are you running the stock tires?

RC Champion
    How did you get that body trimmed so clean? it looks like its cut from the factory because its so good
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiC MeRv View Post
    How did you get that body trimmed so clean? it looks like its cut from the factory because its so good

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD573&P=ML

RC Champion
    that mmm should help out dc

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast