RC Enthusiast

Merv Center Diff Upgrade

I was thinking about installing the center diff upgrade for my merv. Anyone have opinions on this upgrade? Do I need more than the diff when installing? Etc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    welcome to the site,

whether or not you need it, depends on what your intended use/goal is for your vehicle

i personally will not run one
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 03-30-2011 at 09:42 PM.

RC Champion
    If you want to do some crawling or low-speed running then you install it.

I wouldn't install it either.

RC Racer
    Runs awesome for me, made the world in difference imo. Currently setup for indoor offroad carpet. Mind you, i'm still in the midst of getting it tuned properly with the mamba setup, the stock vxl setup with a center diff worked wonders with a 7k/10k/7k oil setup.

If you decide to run a center diff, that will be the only part you need. It comes filled with oil from the factory, you can change the oil weight to suit your needs after some testing with it of course.

Many people will see an advantage to running a center diff when it comes to dirt racing, it will almost completely eliminate wheelies and keep the drive wheels planted giving you greater acceleration.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Qualifier
    With a center diff you also get better power distribution while cornering.

It really comes down to what you want to do. I consider the center diff to be a very good performance upgrade (it was the first thing I did)
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Racer
    Feel its the best thing you can do unless you love to wheelie.

RC Enthusiast
    Wheelies are fun but not wanted when going around a dirt track. I intend to race my merv. I went practice and found that the car wasn't stable going off jumps and loved rolling on hard corners. Yes my driving is probably a large factor but if this upgrade can help then I am interested. As for the tuning of the center diff well that is going to be a trial and error type of work.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the specs on what works for you. I will keep this in mind during tuning.

RC Racer
    I race mine and found it to be alot smoother after installing the CD. I kept the diffs stock for the winter and found it to work well but my first time on dirt I feel it needs to be tuned. Thinking I will start with 5,7,5 and see how that goes.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tat76 View Post
    I race mine and found it to be alot smoother after installing the CD. I kept the diffs stock for the winter and found it to work well but my first time on dirt I feel it needs to be tuned. Thinking I will start with 5,7,5 and see how that goes.
    As in 5k, 7k, 5k right? I've never had my merv on a dirt track with the cd yet, only in stock form.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbeau View Post
    Wheelies are fun but not wanted when going around a dirt track. I intend to race my merv. I went practice and found that the car wasn't stable going off jumps and loved rolling on hard corners. Yes my driving is probably a large factor but if this upgrade can help then I am interested. As for the tuning of the center diff well that is going to be a trial and error type of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tat76 View Post
    What's the part number of this CD for Slash VXL 1/16?

EDIT: Got it- TRA7014 Is it plug'n'play part?
    Last edited by zaki79; 03-30-2011 at 07:33 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    make sure that you don't get the pinion and sper gear to tight or loose. I used a piece of paper folded over on itself and the it;s perfect.

RC Qualifier
    I have had 2 BRAND NEW cd's come out of the packeage BONE DRY. So make sure you check the fluid level before you out it in. The cd will also really help reduce stress on the rest of your drivetrain. I.e. axles and f/r diffs. I run 30k rear and 50k front and center and its awesome.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I just checked the fluid level and it was wet but not full. I put 10k in the center and I am not pleased. Found out from Traxxas support that 100k should come in the center diff. So 50k sounds like a great idea. By the way what lipos are you guys running with the center diff?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbeau View Post
    I just checked the fluid level and it was wet but not full. I put 10k in the center and I am not pleased. Found out from Traxxas support that 100k should come in the center diff. So 50k sounds like a great idea. By the way what lipos are you guys running with the center diff?
    CD needs heavier than 10k imo, stock comes with 30k and I am currently running 50k and like it so far.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eurofocus View Post
    CD needs heavier than 10k imo, stock comes with 30k and I am currently running 50k and like it so far.
    I just changed my diff fluids to front 30k, center 50k and rear 50k. handles just great. I tried out a 3s 1300 lipo and now the car is controllable. Don't want to run 3s lipo's in my merv too often don't want any esc problems.

RC Enthusiast
    Since i put the center diff on its almost impossible to roll sideways while at full throttle full steering on the street. As soon as a wheel comes off the ground it kills the power bringing the wheel down again before you flip over. So much more fun now that i dont have to walk over and put it right side up all the time anymore. Not sure if it affected acceleration speed tho.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hondacobra View Post
    Since i put the center diff on its almost impossible to roll sideways while at full throttle full steering on the street. As soon as a wheel comes off the ground it kills the power bringing the wheel down again before you flip over. So much more fun now that i dont have to walk over and put it right side up all the time anymore. Not sure if it affected acceleration speed tho.
    My acceleration seems a bit slower. But can't complain because of how stable the my merv has become. Even jumping my merv is now more enjoyable. I also don't have to walk over to flip over the car. I would say this is the best upgrade for the merv.

RC Enthusiast
    I would like to retract my previous statement. My ESC was put into training mode. Once I switched it back into sport mode then everything changed. The center diff works great but I can still put a wheelie if I really try. It is just amazing.