RC Racer

Gear picth change

Been trying to get my run times up and have decided to change both the spur and the pinion. If I am going to change both I feel like I might as we change to the bigger picth while I am at it. Two questions: 1. What do I need to buy as far as parts? Slash parts or what? 2. How about what gear to start with? A little info on what I run. 11.1 3s lipo, 2.2 Proline Sand paw tires for the dirt,or sand in my case. No aluminum but all RPM everywhere. Stock VXL for the power. I was thinking that if I kept the stock picth I was going to need about a 17/86 but don't know how to convert that to the bigger picth. Don't run on the road much but when I do I use the stock anaconda tires on stock 2.8 rims. Probably could use the same gear for that as for off-road cause my car turns into an aircraft at about 60 and that tends to be to expensive.

RC Competitor
    Im guessing you want to change it to the 32p spur and pinion.

You can use the Slash Spurs but im not sure what their size is relative to the 48p spur. I'm going to guess that the 54t in the 32p spur is near the size of the 90t/86t spur of 48p.

If you use the 54t spur then the pinion should be a 7t pinion to be close to the 17/86 gearing.

54tooth: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZKW2&P=7
    52tooth: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWT8&P=7
    50tooth: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVPB&P=7

pinion: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVPA&P=7 (not a 7 but its close)
    Just call me Zoo. MM 5700 in a Rusty

RC Competitor
    I don't run 3s lipos though so im not able to help much with temp ect but i was thinking of changing my gears to 32p too and those are what i thought to use. you could possibly use a larger pinion too.
    Last edited by Zoocity; 03-31-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Double post... thought up extra info.

Here is a very handy website for guestimating speed, etc...

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Plug in your current values and then you can see what matches up gearing wise.
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Racer
    So I got the idea of where to start gear wise. Now what slipper do I use? The Rustler slipper won't fit will it? Or does the Slash slipper fit dierectly on to the Rustler tranny?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Use the stock slipper. The jato spur just bolts right on in place of the 48p spur.

RC Racer
    Just looked up the parts list and the only thnig I see is a piece right between the spring and the bearing in the slipper. Is that just a piece for the front drive? And you said Jato, Is that the same as the slash?

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Use the stock slipper. The jato spur just bolts right on in place of the 48p spur.
    +1 on the Jato spur.

Converted my Rusty to 32P a while back with 54T Jato spur - part #3956, goes stright onto the stock slipper. Robinson Racing Absolute Hardened Steel Pinions work great at they have the right shaft diameter - many sizes available, we run 14T for off-road racing.

Re. sizing, the pitch number (i.e. 32 or 48) refers to the number of teeth per inch of diameter. The original poster's 87 teeth 48P are therefore 1.81 inches across (87/48), multiply this by 32 and you get the equivalent spur in 32P which is about 58T. We went for 54T as that is the largest 32P spur that will fit under an RPM gear case (stock cover is no bigger) due to the teeth having no offset to the slipper mount (unlike the stock 48P ones). Even then we still had to shim out the gear cover with 2mm spacers under each screw (used black plastic ones on shock parts tree) to avoid it rubbing - quick and easy but essential. This spacing lets a little dust into teh cover but being 32P it doesn't bother the gears at all if you run them dry. The car makes a bit more noise with 32P which I like but it is very durable and IMO a very cheap and worthwhile upgrade, esp. for 2S+ brushless power. Have since done it to 2 other Rustys and we won't be going back to 48P.

RC Racer
    I just used the calculator that was posted on here earlier and your gearing hit right where I want to run. about 45 MPH with a 3s and Proline Sand Paws. The before mentioned 7 tooth pinion would have me at about 23 MPH and I want a little more than that. I think they may have been running Talon tires which would pick up the speed considerably. Think I am gonna orser the parts. Main reason is I run in very fine sand that gets all in everything including the gears. Really eats them up. Maybe the 32p will handle it a little better.

RC Racer
    my rustler has a 6800kv motor and i am running the robinson gen3 32 pitch spur(56 teeth) and i am currently using a 13 tooth pinion. i have a 16,17,18 tooth pinion also but the truck really moves out pretty good. with the 13 tooth gear. i have an aluminum trans. case so most of my heat is located at my esc. the truck does have more gear noise but i have no problem with the sound. in the long run i am very happy with the 32 pitch change.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know if this helps but if you every want to keep the same ratio while coverting from 48p to 32p or I guess any other pitch conversion, you take the new pitch divided by the original pitch. E.X. 32/48= 2/3 Then you take the 2/3 * the number of teeth in you original pinion and you will get the 32p equivilant size. do the same thing for the spur.

So say I want to convert a 19/90 48p gear ratio to 32p

32/48=2/3
    2/3*19=12.66666 so that means you pinion size in 32p will be 12t (you can round up or down)
    2/3*90=60 So your spur in 32p will be a 60t but I'm not sure if that gear will fit on the rustler do to clearance of the drive shaft.

RC Racer
    Bullet, That is what I wanted to hear. I knew there was a mathamatical solution for it just couldn't figure it out. When I bought my Rustler I bought a number of different spurs and pinions so I know about what speeds and temps i get with them. Now I can simply do the math. My main reason for swicthing to 32p, other than gearing change, is that I run in black fine sand that gets in everything including bearings and gears. My RPM gear cover helps but it still gets in there. I keep 20-30 bearings in my parts box cause they get eat up pretty quick. I hope the 32p gears will hold up better. I know my T-Maxxs' don't have as big a problem as my Rustler does with them.

RC Qualifier
    Ya, sand is really rough on RC's but it's fun so I guess you just have to do it, lol. I don't know if you know this but, the stock gear cover and rpm gear cover will not work with 32p gears because the spur sticks out too far, but the gears are so tuff that you don't need a gear cover. I hope you have fun in the sand!

RC poster
    Yeah, sand just eats those 48p gears. Mine lasted about two-three runs and then poof (or crunch, whatever ). I switched to 32p about 5-6 months ago and it's still running strong. I haven't had any bearing issues tho, I guess the sand around here isn't fine enough to work its way into the bearings.

I went to a 13t Emaxx pinion & 58t Jato spur 32p (from 19/83 48p), just the regular traxxas oem and they've held up pretty well. Stock slipper, no gear cover. Only thing to note is that the 32p is a lot louder than the 48p, at least on my truck. Same gear mesh, et al.

Another note that I don't think anyone mentioned, 0.8p is equivalent to 32p, that one hung me up for a little bit.

Will

My setup:
    Stock Rusty VXL
    13/58 32p
    Panther Paddles
    SPC 2s 8000mAh

Vids of my rusty in action on the sand are in the Rustler Video sticky, both pre & post gear change.
    Last edited by LoupFou; 04-02-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Shameless plug for my vids

RC Racer
    I have a slight problem. Just got my new gears in and i got the 54 tooth spur and a 50 tooth. I ordered the 3956R and found that my slipper won't fit. I take it that the 3956 and the 3956R are two different breeds? What do I need to do now. Order a slash slipper or get a different gear. I didn't realize that a Jato gear was different than the link posted earlier here.

RC Racer
    I see what I have done now. I order the gear for the optional center diff version. Gears reordered,without the R on the end this time!

Guys, the way to figure out gear ratios is to divide the number of teeth on the spur by the number of teeth on the pinion... then do the same with the 32p gears till you find the same ratio.
    For example:

86/17 = 5.05

so to find the same ratio in a 32p setup you use one of the 3 availiable spurs (54,56,58) and find the pinion that makes the equation work... in this case the closest you can get is:

56/11 = 5.09

Its the ratio you want to duplicate, not the diameter of the gear, thought he diameter of the gear IS what determines the ratio... because you can only get the gears in certain tooth counts you need to rely on the tooth count to find the same ratio.

RC Racer
    Even better Surfer! I used you method to figure what I will have and came up with this. I bought a 14 and a 12 tooth pinion and a 50 and a 54 tooth spur and come up with a spread of gears like this 3.57, 3.85, 4.16 and a 4.5. I run Proline Sand Paws that measure 4 inches.Ought to be a decent gear range for 3s set-up I hope. I had been running a 83/25 which was 3.32 and it would get a little hot if I ran it hard. Your input????
    Last edited by Hemi-Head; 04-06-2011 at 09:49 PM.

RC Competitor
    A little hot being... 100?

Yup, thats the way to do it. Where did you get a 50t spur though? You MAY have issues getting that to mesh with the pinions... the motor mount and adjustment holes may not allow for enough adjustment to get it to mesh, but the 54 will work fine.

RC Racer
    I consider anything over 190 too hot.190 is really a little hot for me but that would be my linit. The 50 tooth spur came from Hopmeup.com. Great group of Gals' there.

RC Competitor
    190? I get nervous at 155!

RC Qualifier
    this spur is a year old with no problems
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

RC Racer
    Does the aluminum case cut down on your heat much? What gear you running?

RC Racer
    Yea Zoo I tend to get em hot.The guys at Traxxas say to keep it down to 175 or so.

RC Qualifier
    yup alot, i can run a 19 tooth pinion with a 54 spur and its warm not hot at the end of the pack
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Yup, thats the way to do it. Where did you get a 50t spur though? You MAY have issues getting that to mesh with the pinions... the motor mount and adjustment holes may not allow for enough adjustment to get it to mesh, but the 54 will work fine.
    Only the 14t pinion(or larger) will fit with the 50t slash 4x4 spur and stock gearbox. You cannot get the 13t pinion close enough to the spur to get proper mesh. I've tried.

RC Racer
    Omega, that's on a 2s right?

RC Qualifier
    2s right now but, I ran the same set up in my slash on 3s. My 3s is too big for the Rustler but I had no heat problems.
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

RC Racer
    I gotta figure out how to keep the heat down a bit on my stuff. In the process of swicthing to 32p and the 12/54 seems like where I will start. The thick black sand I run in here along with the Sand Paws are really tough and tend to build up the heat. I bought a Integy motor heatsink and fan but it wouldn't fit. Think it was made for a brushed motor. I took the fan off and cut the heatsink in two. Put it up there like that. Two thin pieces insted of one wide one. Maybe that will help some. I will use the fan on the ESC and plan on getting an aluminum case in the near future.

RC Qualifier
    The aluminum tranny case will also adds weight giving you more traction in the sand, I want to turn my Rustler into a Beach truck and throw on a Bronco body and paint it like my 75.
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

RC Racer
    Weight to the back was not what I was looking for. Hard enough to keep my trigger finger light enough to keep the front end down now. One of my other projects is a stainless steel front bumper for weight. Just need to figure what to bolt to that won't break as easy.

RC Qualifier
    on road that how it preforms on 2s geared with a 14 pinon and 56 spur http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jS3DjAIhgQ
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit