RC Qualifier

Hey. Ive done every single slop upgrade there is... New area for slop! Help

Ok. 1/16 rally. Has rpm kuckles put on properly. ( ive done 5 sets of these and all work perfect) and have a second servo tO take away steering slop. But when i place me hand on my wheel. Instead of lets say the knuckles being loose causing it to wiggle top to bottom. The actual wheel gets pulled in and out. Like whem i do it you can see the bearing comes out with it. And allows alot of in and out slop with the wheels. What can i do? What do i do? Is it the bearing? What is it? And i noticed before it started doing this i can reverse at full speed strait. But now when i reserve its VERY wiggly like left to right left to right. Help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    This is what the little bushings are for that generally go behind the inside bearing and behind the hex pin... you can use more or less of them until the axle is tight when the hex is on... I generally loose them and just forget about them... but thats what they are for.

RC Qualifier
    Yup... I cut down some thin #8 mylar shims but they don't quite fit the 1/16th axles well enough to run em:

Temporarily, I carved out some meat from inside the hex where the pin fits, so the back flange of the hex can get tightened against the bearing.

Are there Teflon shims available that fit the axles properly?
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    Well if someone can help me fine some i have no problem spending a little money

RC Qualifier
    Some hardware stores have stuff like that. And if ta too thick, you can always sand it down some.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I think the hex should not need one it should snap on tighter than in the pic with the shim... if you really wanna eliminate more slop I think the shim should only be necessary on the inside of the carrier. Keep in mind, that little bit of slop can help prevent any broken parts by providing a little bit of give. Just something to keep in mind. After each race weekend I do almost a complete breakdown of one or both of my 1/16 models and the slop has not increased at all. Both have rpm carriers and have not needed tightening after months of running. I do recommend replacing the plastic rod ends' balls with steel hollow balls... and as the rod ends wear replacing them as well removes slop.
    Mini Summit / Rally

I don't know if you are going to eliminate slop completely. My Revo has a little slop within the bearings--even with new Avid ones. For my Mustang I replaced the plastic balls with steel ones and went to RPM carriers before the first run. After putting it together I noted a little bit of slop due to the bearings. But after getting the toe and camber adjusted, the car runs smooth and straight.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Hadn't thought about shimming on the backside bearing... will look into that, maybe easier to find shims that fit, too.

Fwiw, I put steel balls into brand new toe links and still had lateral play in them, 1 degree of slop with each. I've worked out an approach using teflon tape (well, Glide dental floss) which has taken the slop out entirely:

Also, my Avid steering bearings had wiggle on the GPM steering shaft, so ran some teflon there as well:
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    But after getting the toe and camber adjusted, the car runs smooth and straight.
    This makes a world of difference too... The little slop that's worn back into my suspension doesn't seem to matter much now that I've got the geometry dialed in.

Fwiw, the source of the stability issue I was hunting down turned out to be an mal-installed position potentiometer inside the steering servo.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    My car is annoying me....with all the slop its gonna drive me to sell it. Anyone found a solution? THat i can buy? Like a specific item? I really need this

im gonna sell my car if this cannot be fixed...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-21-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    It can be fixed. As we've pointed out here, it's not simple spend $ + plug-n-play kind of problem. Metal balls, shimmed axles, steering bearings, toe-flossed links, replace worn suspension parts, proper adjustments... Between these I have effectively zero slop.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    sigh! lol theirs just to much play in my axles? What kindoof shims? an dimensions?

would new barrings do the trick?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-21-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    How did you keep the floss in place? Does it stay put? This is a good idea Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Hadn't thought about shimming on the backside bearing... will look into that, maybe easier to find shims that fit, too.

Fwiw, I put steel balls into brand new toe links and still had lateral play in them, 1 degree of slop with each. I've worked out an approach using teflon tape (well, Glide dental floss) which has taken the slop out entirely:

Also, my Avid steering bearings had wiggle on the GPM steering shaft, so ran some teflon there as well:

I see knots.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    No knots, just wrapped several times around and the ball snapped in. Haven't seen any of them unwrapping themselves... Mine after a month of daily running on road and in dirt:
    The prototype project.