RC Competitor

1/16 E Revo Rear Diff??

I have a mini e revo and the rear differential went out of it and i replaced all but the bulk head and i have probably drove it 10 times sense and now it is starting to grind again i dont know if it has something to do with the bulkhead or if it is because i am runnung lipos with stock gearing anyone have any ideas?

Do you have the upgraded bulkhead (new design) or the old? Have you shimmed the diff at all?
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I dint know if i have old or new is there a way to tell? and no shimms

RC Racer
    When you say you replaced all, i'm assuming you did replace the ring and pinion at the same time? I've actually replaced the diff itself in my buddy's merv and not seeing any need to replace the pinion gear that meshes with it, he ran it and same deal happened after a couple packs/jumps. So from that point on my advise is to always change both gears. Traxxas actually sells the two gears without you needing to buy a whole diff or bearings that the pinion mates up to. When you do put it all back together, clean off where the bearings sit, there should be no reason to shim the diffs as many do... i'm running a 10th scale system in mine and have never stripped a gear or needed shimming and I run my merv hard at an offroad track. The unfortunate part of these cars is that the chassis has lots of flex, although this can be good... in the case of bulkhead flex it is not... which can cause stripped gears like in your case. Always make sure to have the cross screw that holds the bulkhead halves good and tight... and be careful not to strip it. I find many people don't tighten these enough and the gear mesh does not hold in place, only causing more stripped gears.

Traxxas 7079 is the part number for both gears. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I beleive the older bulkhead housing did not have the cross screw, whereas the newer one does.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Competitor
    okay then i do have the newer one and the first tine it stripped out it was these gears[IMG]http:/http://www.rcplanet.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TRA7082-2T.jpg[/IMG]

there was a little chip i dont know what grears it is this time but i thonk im going to check it out today

3S with stock gearing is asking for trouble. At least use the speed pinion (23T).
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you need to shim it then. It seems like some NEED shimming and others don't. If you buy team associated part#21141 (rc18diff shims) those are the shims. Use the search to find a thread on how to shim. If you don't I'm sure you'll keep going through diffs.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Competitor
    Okay thanks i just took it apart and it was the ring and pinion so im going to shim it and i might change the gearing do you think it will be necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by IMLIMITLESS View Post
    Okay thanks i just took it apart and it was the ring and pinion so im going to shim it and i might change the gearing do you think it will be necessary?
    If you ESC and motor stay cool, it isn't, but I doubt that they do.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Nope they over heat quite often.

RC Enthusiast
    I went through 3 ring and pinions, (actually it was the ring that kept getting teeth eatin off but when you buy a new one it comes with the ring and pinion), until I finally shimmed my diffs and now it's great. Can't believe I blew so much money.

And the first time I didn't know you could just buy the ring and pinion and let the guy at my local hobby shop convince me I needed the entire diff. It was over $20 when I could have just bought the ring and pinion for $11! Ate up another two ring and pinions before I found this forum and shimmed my diffs and haven't had trouble since. I know it's different for everyone but I ended up putting two shims in the back and one in front (tried to put two in front but it was making it bind up a bit). I also loosened up my slipper clutch quite a bit, I bet that is helping as well.
    MERV (sold)
    Evader EXT2
    Nitro 4Tec
    AE SC10RS

RC Competitor
    thats what i just did yesterday havent had a problem sence

RC Racer
    i am running a 3s as well, i dont know what gearing i should use? anysuggestions?

thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Start with 23/50 and drive the way you do but check the temps every 5 minutes until you know how it runs. Go a couple teeth smaller on the pinion if its running hotter then 150

RC Racer
    i have the speed pinon and the stock spur

RC Racer
    in the center diff i have the 23t speed pinion and the stock spur

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That would be 23/50! Do you have a good temp gun?

RC Racer
    no im new to all this stuff

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Before you smoke something with running 3s invest in a temp gun. Cheap insurance!

RC Racer
    yeah i do have one

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's good. Have you shimmed your diffs?be a good idea and set your clutch properly not too tight

RC Racer
    i have not shimmed my diff, i dont know how and i set my clutch according to a couple youtube videos

RC Racer
    this is a post of jimmie, will help you to shim your diffs! http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead
    I recommend you to read all the entire post!

RC Racer
    where can i buy them?

RC Racer
    and what kind?

RC Racer
    I bought them on ebay, and also on rcplanet: http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...tCode=ASC21141

RC Racer
    okay thankss

RC Racer
    glad to help!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    buy a few sets and if your ring and pinion is new you might need to break it in http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-amp-pinion-in

RC Racer
    okay thankss

RC Enthusiast
    I am running into this same issue. I only run 2s and bashing in very short grass/dirt. However my daughter is a "happy trigger" let's say so she won't go easy on the trigger when accelerating.

Maybe it's time for shimming since I can't keep replacing diff gears every couple of weeks.

This is an old post so ASC21141 are discontinued, which shims could I buy equivalent for merv 1/16 ?

Also should I loose the slipper clutch a little bit ? I'm still using stock gearing and haven't touched the clutch since bought this merv.

This is the first vxl brushless version so how can I tell if I have the new or old bulkhead ?

Every time I fix the diff I make sure I refill diff oil (moderated) inside the diff and grease in the gearing (outside)

Thank guys !
    Last edited by superticky; 11-25-2018 at 11:24 PM.