Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RC Champion
    I picked one up all so (vektor 4000kv) for my 4x4 pede. .Along with a Castle Mamba Max Pro.Hope all goes good.Will be running this combo on SPC 2s 6000mah.

RC Champion
    I was chatting with VxlRocket via PM about gearing.Seems we can gear it a bit higher with the Vektor motor.Lost more torque.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I Picked up a couple of those 4000kv Vectors. Since I mainly run 2S in my Digger I'm going to see how these little motors do. Man they are dirt cheap, hope they are spec'd as good as the 3800 internally.

The castle version of the Duratrax Element I've heard are cut down spec's of what castle normally does.
    without having both motors on a data logger, and just using what i can see, the 4000 is as fast or faster as the castle 3800. it makes the velineon look silly. it's got gobs and gobs of torque and for $80 less, it's definately my favorite. As far as it's effeciency, imo, it ran just as cool as my 3800 did.

This is why i use the HPI motors. the 2200, the 2650 and the 4000 are all imo exact duplicates of thier Castle counterparts but $150 less in some cases. now, i haven't data logged anything, but just by sight and temp, these HPI (castle made for the noobs)motors are every bit as good. i don't gear them any less than i would with the castle cases i've run all 3 motors in my track buggy, truggy and sc truck. you won't be disappointed.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    I was chatting with VxlRocket via PM about gearing.Seems we can gear it a bit higher with the Vektor motor.Lost more torque.
    what i said was this..
    i would gear it probably 54/13 and go from there. i could gear it as high as a 15 or 16, but i'm not sure how throttle heavy you are. the 13 is a good place to start. i do run a heatsink on mine too. the 13t in this heat (it's runnng about 100 degrees where i live) should keep temps right around 145-150.
    now, that statement was i regards to how you should gear based on what you said about mostly running on the street with some grass on 2S.(a 2s 6000mah 30c lipo) that should be perfect. i could run a whole main on 54/13 on 2S with that motor.

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    without having both motors on a data logger, and just using what i can see, the 4000 is as fast or faster as the castle 3800. it makes the velineon look silly. it's got gobs and gobs of torque and for $80 less, it's definately my favorite. As far as it's effeciency, imo, it ran just as cool as my 3800 did.

This is why i use the HPI motors. the 2200, the 2650 and the 4000 are all imo exact duplicates of thier Castle counterparts but $150 less in some cases. now, i haven't data logged anything, but just by sight and temp, these HPI (castle made for the noobs)motors are every bit as good. i don't gear them any less than i would with the castle cases i've run all 3 motors in my track buggy, truggy and sc truck. you won't be disappointed.
    Kewl deal man. My Digger is a 2wd Pede. I haven't ran into any heat problems as of yet with the 3800. I typically stay geared 19/83 on 2S with the occasional 3S. I purchased 2 of them one for the Digger and another for my Sl2sh. Can't hurt to try something else out just for grins.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I hope have the same good luck as vxl did.My stuff is still in the mail so it is going to be awhile before i can put my pede back together and try it out.I think i will start out with 11t pinion and go up from there.I will be using a 2s lipo all so.If all is good maybe i will pick up another one before the word get out and prices go up .Let us your opinion on them Digger..

RC Champion
    This is why i use the HPI motors. the 2200, the 2650 and the 4000 are all imo exact duplicates of thier Castle counterparts but $150 less in some cases.
    That's where your wrong I'm afraid. Not wishing to spark a debate here's what a castle employee said

Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    If you change the rotor, the kV will drop because of the stronger magnets in the CC rotor.

The efficiency of the motor will go up slightly, but still won't be as good as the CC3800 motor because of the difference in the stator lamination thickness. Thicker laminations = lower cost = higher iron losses = higher maximum flux density. Thinner laminations = higher cost = lower iron losses = lower maximum flux density.

The .2mm laminations in the CC motor are rated at 150watts loss / kilo @10khz, the .35mm laminations in the HPI motor are rated at 230watts loss / kilo @10khz (for comparison.) But the .2mm laminations are three times as expensive as the .35mm laminations.

Both perform well. But the .2mm laminations have a small advantage in high speed motors, at a large cost disadvantage.

We make both .2mm and .35mm lamination versions of many of our motors. Really depends on whether the application and cost target can justify the extra expense for the thinner laminations.

All of the CC branded motors use .2mm laminations. For OEM motors, some use .2mm laminations, some use .35mm laminations. Really depends on the application.
    btw this concerns the hpi vektor 4000kv motor
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I have a new body on the way to.Proline Chevy 2500hd.New motor,esc body it is going to be like a new truck all over again.
    Plus just put the ProTrac kit in to the other day.Going to paint the body gloss black with fluorescent green spiderweb.Got the spiderweb stencil off of e-bay.Just need to get some new tires for the RPM wheels.Need more $$$

Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    That's where your wrong I'm afraid. Not wishing to spark a debate here's what a castle employee said

btw this concerns the hpi vektor 4000kv motor
    understood...but you'd never know that unless you were told that. i'd bet my truck, if you did the castle 2650 and the hpi 2650 side by side in any challenge you'd never know which one was which...even after the race, checking temps. imo, splitting hairs over these massively over-powered motors on 6-9 pound vehicles is pointless unless you're looking to be the next adam drake...all of them are completely competent and will do well. just my 2 cents.

it's also worth mentioning that i have the castle versions of these motors as well and have tested them on the track as such...i cound never tell the differences and i've been racing on and off for more than 20 years.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 07-07-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling

RC Champion
    Plus you can not beat the price.Much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Plus you can not beat the price.Much cheaper.
    probably the best point made in the thread so far.

RC Champion
    understood...but you'd never know that unless you were told that. i'd bet my truck, if you did the castle 2650 and the hpi 2650 side by side in any challenge you'd never know which one was which...even after the race, checking temps. imo, splitting hairs over these massively over-powered motors on 6-9 pound vehicles is pointless unless you're looking to be the next adam drake...all of them are completely competent and will do well. just my 2 cents.

it's also worth mentioning that i have the castle versions of these motors as well and have tested them on the track as such...i cound never tell the differences and i've been racing on and off for more than 20 years.
    I agree that the differences make some of the motors inseparable. I'd just thought that everyone needs to know exactly why they're paying so much cheaper. Not that that's a bad thing
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    That's good info to know guys. I really appreciate y'all sharing that. By no means am i ditching my CC3800. I'm definitely going to test these 2 Vektors out.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Got my motor and MMP Today.

RC Racer
    informative thread. Im geared 14/54 on trenchers with a 2s 6500 70c SMC pack on my 3800/mmp combo. I am probably going to drop down to a 13t pinion. What are some signs of the battery bottoming out? Sometimes it will lag/stutter/jitter on a full trigger pull or blip from a dead stop or low speed. I assume my battery is up to the task but I have noticed this a few times. Also my power wires from esc to motor get hot to the touch, I am going to try and shorten them some more.

RC Qualifier
    Wow this is an old thread very useful info spc here i come

RC Qualifier
    I just started putting together a slash 4x4 mt. I have gearing to go in at 11/54 on 2S 5000mah 30c with a mmp 3800kv. I have the 2.8 trenchers as well.

I'm looking for 35mph to 40mph tops and I'm not having luck with the speed calculators online. Can someone tell me what the speed would be of this setup?

Ya, I know it's in old thread. But it's a great thread.
    Slash 2WD, Slash 4WD, T-Rex 250
    It's only money!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigART71 View Post
    I just started putting together a slash 4x4 mt. I have gearing to go in at 11/54 on 2S 5000mah 30c with a mmp 3800kv. I have the 2.8 trenchers as well.

I'm looking for 35mph to 40mph tops and I'm not having luck with the speed calculators online. Can someone tell me what the speed would be of this setup?
    I
    Ya, I know it's in old thread. But it's a great thread.
    If no ballooning of tires I get a speed of 29mph. Which I don't see the tires to balloon at that speed. Geared 13/54 will get you to 34mph. Again not including ballooning of tires that's one thing of the calculator I don't understand and don't know how to put that in since the tires balloon differently depending on tires and at different speeds they'll ballon more at higher speed

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    If no ballooning of tires I get a speed of 29mph. Which I don't see the tires to balloon at that speed. Geared 13/54 will get you to 34mph. Again not including ballooning of tires that's one thing of the calculator I don't understand and don't know how to put that in since the tires balloon differently depending on tires and at different speeds they'll ballon more at higher speed
    Thank you. I just found out I have the wrong pinion gear to begin with. I ended up accidentally buying a mod 1. I might go with the 13 pinion to begin with now.
    It's only money!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigART71 View Post
    Thank you. I just found out I have the wrong pinion gear to begin with. I ended up accidentally buying a mod 1. I might go with the 13 pinion to begin with now.
    Oh wow that 11 tooth mod1 is like size of a 13 or 14 mod .8. I just recently went to mod1
    Gears and my 20 is like a 24 or 25 mod.8 and my 38 mod1 is like a 50 or a few teeth lower of a mod .8

You should be fine with 13/54 on that motor. Depending on your ambient temps I can run 13/50 on my sons 3500 2 pole motor on a 2s and temps was 135 on motor and 125 on esc. And that was in 90+f weather
    Last edited by Er33; 01-18-2015 at 09:38 PM.

You will be fine with that setup on 2s unless you have any binding which adds heat...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Finally got the truck done minus the body painted.

I took my proline powerstrokes off my 2wd and put on the 4wd. Change the front factory fluid to 50wt and ran the same springs that worked well in my 2wd which are small yellow large red. Changed the rear factory fluid to 45wt and went up in size on the large spring to yellow and yellow. Either the rebound is a little too fast or the dampening is a little too stiff. I either need to go back down on the large spring to green and or go to 50wt in the rear too.

I used 50k front diff oil and 30k rear diff oil. I basically took all the grease out of the rear, filled it 3/4 with 50k and then swapped the diffs back to front.

I ran the 13/54 gearing with 2.8 Trenchers. I can pull a wheelie from a stop and flip it. At slow speed to punching the throttle it will pull the front end up a little only. The ESC fan came on only a couple times. I did not use the fan on the motor. I can put my finger on the motor as long as I wanted (I did a 10 second count). It was warm and not hot at all. I do have a temp gun, but the finger test is good enough for now.

If I gear it 15/54 that would put it closer to 40mph right? I'm wondering if that will be too hot. Maybe just a 14/54 and call it good.

I've been wanting to do this project for a long time. I thank you guys and this forum for your help!
    Last edited by BigART71; 01-21-2015 at 08:58 PM.
    It's only money!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234