Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help

RC Enthusiast
    i looking at a spare motor 3674 1300kv im thinking a 36 class so i can use that new xl water jacket that i bougt for the stock motor. thoughts??

RC Qualifier
    Should work fine.

A bit lower Kv than the the stock motor, but on 6S you will still turn approx. 29000 rpm.

It will have more torque than the stock motor, so you can turn a bit larger prop to compensate for the loss of RPM.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    i do have a chose the 2 are 1300kv or a 1900kv both are the same price the motor i have now is 2200kv im thinking the 1900kv is a little faster than the stock. would the 1900 be the right one?

RC Qualifier
    I'm a firm believer that staying in the 1500 - 1700Kv range is the best option. (stock is 1600Kv)

But that is just my opinion.

Several guys are running higher Kv motors like the castle 1515 @ 2200Kv and some report no real problems so far, others have reported problems with the flex cable at the high RPM's.

My opinion/belief, in general, not just for RC boats, is that the faster you rotate a piece of equipment the more wear and tear you are going to have resulting in extra maintenance. And, if something does go wrong, there is more chance it goes really wrong.

It depends a lot on what you are wanting to do with the boat. If you are looking for stable and reliable performance, at around the claimed 50 mph mark, stay with a lower Kv motor and pair it up with the right prop.

If you are looking for a high speed missile and bragging rights that your Spartan is the fastest ever, then the higher Kv motors are what you need.

The 1300 Kv motor at approx. 29,000 no load rpm is at the high end of the recommended 30,000 rpm maximum suggested for most sport boating applications. Doing a quick calculation though, even running a larger prop like an X642 or X645, the calculated speed is only in the mid 40's with the 1300Kv motor.

My suggestion would be to try finding something in a 3674 1500 - 1700Kv range to more closely match the targeted performance of the stock setup. (I'm going to be running Tacon 3674 1700Kv motors in mine)

But it's your boat, you will have to decide which motor is going to be best for achieving your expectations of performance.

Kevin
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 04-30-2011 at 07:50 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    i shopped a little bit harder, guess what it payed off bought a tecan 3674 1700kv real cheap here in the states...... im thinking this will be main motor rather than the 4074 2150kv ..if anything the 4074 will work in my e maxx brushless edi truck..

RC Enthusiast
    i got evey thing to day sweet!!!but how do you get in to the advanced setting on my programming card its a ******* card i can get in to the steps 1- 4 but cant get in the advanced set up to chang the timing help!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KGODKIN View Post
    i got evey thing to day sweet!!!but how do you get in to the advanced setting on my programming card its a ******* card i can get in to the steps 1- 4 but cant get in the advanced set up to chang the timing help!!!
    Should be straight forward.

Can you post a pic of your programming card so we can confirm it is the right one.

Kevin

RC Qualifier
    that is the wrong card.

you need this one
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/search.php

They are available elsewhere as well if you care to search.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    2nd day run with the new set up with the s215 prop top speed was 61 .2 mph holy crap all i can say! i ran 3 set of lipo's 3s 5000 all most a hour run... all temps were in the mid 90's *F .........
    TRAXXAS should go with this set up, they would be back on top!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-10-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Running good

RC Enthusiast
    hey kevin what size is the bullet nut i want to get one thanks

RC Qualifier
    I believe they are 4mm.

Find them here: http://kintecracing.com/Accessories.html

Or here: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...at=Flex+Cables

NOTE: the threads on the shaft are too long for the depth of the bullet nut. You either have to slide the drive dog back a bit, add a washer or two, or if you want to get extreme, cut a mm or two off the threads.

I slide the drive dog back a bit for starters and I'm hoping the set screw will hold it from pushing forward, if not I will try something else.

Kevin

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2nd day run with the new set up with the s215 prop top speed was 61 .2 mph holy crap all i can say! i ran 3 set of lipo's 3s 5000 all most a hour run... all temps were in the mid 90's *F .........
    TRAXXAS should go with this set up, they would be back on top!!!!
    great temps bro!

cool beans!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Enthusiast
    ok with the weight of a gps unit in front of the motor the boat is very stable at 55mph with the s215 prop ,what can i do or add for weight in front of the motor and kept it very low in the boat ........has anyone played with weights yet?

RC Qualifier
    Haven't heard of anyone using weights for ballast. Add a couple more batteries connected parallel/series for double the run time and more weight.

Have you tried adjusting your trim tabs down a bit, or give your strut about 1mm negative (down) trim to push the bow down for stability?

Kevin
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 05-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    next time out i will try the strut ....do you think the s220 prop will be to big? for the 2150kv motor ?

RC Qualifier
    Go easy on the strut adjustments, a little bit at a time. If you go too much you can cause the boat to "nose in" coming over a wave.

What motor are you running again? Leopard 4074 2150Kv?

I can't really give a definitive answer on the prop size. I haven't run my Spartan yet, but when I do I will be using an Eagle Tree system to help me evaluate amp loading etc. At that time I can perhaps give more knowledgeable answers.

But my gut feeling is that prop may be a bit much at those high RPM's for the following reasons. It is a matter of trying balance many factors.

1. S215 shows calculated top speed of 68 mph, S220 shows calculated speed of 70 mph. Only 2 mph difference on calculated speed.

2. There are two significant factors to consider with respect to these calculations, motor efficiency, and prop slip. A larger prop will put more load on the motor and you will most likely lose some RPM to a loss of efficiency, however, the larger prop will have more surface area working to move water to push the boat, so you should reduce the amount of prop slippage, which will compensate somewhat for loss of efficiency. Because of this actual results may well differ from calculated results. Possibly significantly.

3. High Kv motors are lower torque, higher RPM than lower Kv rated motors. Because of the lower torque you will reach the "break point" sooner where you are over propped, motor efficiency will drop significantly, and overload starts to occur. Overload will result in higher amp draw and more heat. Without trying it I can't say where that point is for your motor / esc. If you are propping up, be sure to monitor temps etc. closely for the first few runs. Preferably along with some type of amp monitoring device, but if not available, watch temps closely for indications of over loading.

4. The hull on the Spartan is ABS plastic. There are guys who have pushed this hull into the high 60's but we don't know yet how well it will hold up long term at these speeds. JPriami cracked his hull in a high speed (mid 60's I believe) spill. So more chance of damage at higher speeds.

You have to decide for yourself what you are trying to achieve, highest top speed possible, dam the torpedoes. Or, a good fast boat that handles well and provide hours of reliable fun for a few years.

5. Wear and tear and stress on drive components. The higher RPM is already increasing the wear factor on moving parts that mate with another surface, larger prop sizes are going to increase the stress on drive line components. May or may not be a significant issue.

If cash is determining factor, for 2 mph difference in calculated speed, I personally would go with an S215. You are going to see speeds in the mid 60"s range with things trimmed up properly, and hopefully it won't be too much load for your setup.

If cash isn't an issue, get both the S215 and S220 and try them to see which is best.

I think something like an Octura 440/3 3 blade prop would be interesting to run on a high Kv setup. I think the speeds would be good and the 3 blades should result in less prop slip and a good hole shot. (calculates at 60 - 64 mph depending on prop slip % used))

Kevin

Now that's a novel.
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 05-07-2011 at 03:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I think i will stay away from the larger prop an try the 3 blade
    Prop the,....the motor is a 4074 2150kv the s215 works very well with agood speed of 50/55mph easily reached.

i got my stock esc back saterday will it work for a spair and run the 4074 motor ? i do have a 3674 1700kv motor comming the esc should be a updated one!!! i had to wait 5 weeks for it.. or should i just e-bay it.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-10-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    i got my stock esc back saterday will it work for a spair and run the 4074 motor ? i do have a 3674 1700kv motor comming the esc should be a updated one!!! i had to wait 5 weeks for it.. or should i just e-bay it.
    Your choice of course, but even if it has been updated and is now reliable, Traxxas recommends in the Spartan owners manual to replace both the ESC and motor if upgrading to non OEM parts.

Based on Traxxas's own recommendation, I would say e-bay it and put the cash towards a new **** if you want a spare on hand.

Kevin

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ok with the weight of a gps unit in front of the motor the boat is very stable at 55mph with the s215 prop ,what can i do or add for weight in front of the motor and kept it very low in the boat ........has anyone played with weights yet?
    the best way IMO to keep the now down is mover your packs more forward
    some do add led weights infront of the motor on the hull
    some racers love doing this mod to help settle the boat at faster speeds

ebay bro!
    I don't think that esc will hold the 4074 or 3674
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-10-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Enthusiast

RC Qualifier
    Running great.

Did you ever try a 3 blade prop?

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    yes, it has alot of cavatation on take off mid range and hi speed
    its a bear.

RC Qualifier
    yes, it has alot of cavatation on take off mid range and hi speed
    its a bear.
    What size 3 blade did you go with.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    Octura X440/3 very quiet running prop ..

i'm going to try a Prather Stainless 220 should have it monday so far the s215 is the best prop for the 4074 2150 kv motor.
    i have not tryed the 3674 1700kv motor yet. i thinking the 220 prop would be a good match for that motor..
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-15-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Octura X440/3 very quiet running prop ..

i'm going to try a Prather Stainless 220 should have it monday so far the s215 is the best prop for the 4074 2150 kv motor.
    i have not tryed the 3674 1700kv motor yet. i thinking the 220 prop would be a good match for that motor..
    Good to know, I have a couple 3 blade props I will be trying eventually.

It will be interesting to see the results of the 220 on both motors.

I will be starting with an S215 on the 1700kv and if amp draws look good have an s220 to try as well.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    kevin, has you boat hit the water yet?

RC Qualifier
    kevin, has you boat hit the water yet?
    The ice is finally off the lake, but I was working this weekend so wasn't able to get out. This coming weekend I will be running, even if I have to get up at 4 a.m. to get calm waters.

Kevin

RC poster
    Hey kevin hope you have a good time with your boat this weekend.Please post results with your motor and esc combo.I am looking forward to a package coming soon from canada(wink wink) and I will be replacing my electronics soon.Have fun boys....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bdp1174 View Post
    Hey kevin hope you have a good time with your boat this weekend.Please post results with your motor and esc combo.I am looking forward to a package coming soon from canada(wink wink) and I will be replacing my electronics soon.Have fun boys....
    Will do, I will be running an Eagle Tree System for the first few runs, so hopefully I can post some data on my setup that can evaluated by others and help them choose components for their setup.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    ran the 3674 with the x442 prop very nice speed lot of tork. lol i wipe it out lastnight tore off the hatch allmost sank it. good thing i waterproofed the esc better. i was able to recover it from a nose up and run it back to shore 1/2 full of water. wd-40 the motor, all is well..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12