RC poster

[Rustler VXL] Stuttering, also noticable loss in power

Hello there,

I've bought my rustler a few days ago. I've had my fun with it for about ~10min (carebear driving, I'm new to this stuff) then the car shut down automatically. When I came close, I couldnt find anything wrong. The motor was barely cool on touch, couldnt feel anything on ESC either. All the wires were alright. When I turned the ESC on again, the car started stuttering at low speeds. I can only run it by full throttle or by push start. The next day I went at it again with fully charged battery and noticed a loss in power. The acceleration to top speed is noticably slower, top speed is lower, and most importantly I can't do a wheelie anymore.

I'm running it on stock 8.4V NiMH and stock gearing. I also tried everything the manual says under troubleshooting. Nothing seems to work.
    Does that mean I have a faulty ESC?
    Last edited by Ver7o; 04-22-2011 at 11:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    You could have overheated the motor. You probly already know this but i have to say.... it's not on training mode is it?

RC poster
    No, I mostly use sport mode and the problems are present on all 3 modes. I also tried resetting the ESC and TQ transmitter, with no luck.

you didnt get anything wet right?
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

I've had a few of those esc's do the exact same thing. Had to send it in to Traxxas for a replacement. They never actually told me what was wrong, but when I installed the replacement esc back in the vehicle with the original motor and electronics, it worked perfect again.

RC Competitor
    Is the LVC on or off?

RC poster
    Nope, nothing got wet.
    U mean low voltage Detection? It's off by default (red) for NiMH battery, so I didn't really change that.

I'm goin to take the car in and demand a replacement from my retailer or a full refund. I already took it in actually but the retailer said that was normal coz another rustler he had brand new in the shop stuttered also. I was naive enough to believe him, and I didn't want to be a pain the ***. But I will be this time :>. It's a shame I'm not from the US, I bet traxxas would replace my ESC for free or for a few bucks.

RC Racer
    1-888-TRAXXAS They will help. Always been there for me.

Traxxas support is great and if you just describe the issue for them by email, they will help you or if they knew that it's malfunction issue they will replace it for you foresure.

RC poster
    I sent them an email yesterday, describing my problem. I probably wont get a reply till monday.

Tnx for all te replies guys

RC Racer
    You said you're not from the US. Where are you from out of interest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ver7o View Post
    I sent them an email yesterday, describing my problem. I probably wont get a reply till monday.

Tnx for all te replies guys

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Europe, Slovenia.
    I got an answer from traxxas, saying I should sent the ESC in. And since it's only been a week of my purchase the repair will be free. I'll only pay for shipping which is probably pretty expensive but wth, I want my car running again.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S

RC Racer

I'm goin to take the car in and demand a replacement from my retailer or a full refund. I already took it in actually but the retailer said that was normal coz another rustler he had brand new in the shop stuttered also. I was naive enough to believe him, and I didn't want to be a pain the ***

Just FYI here. What the retailer was probably referring to is 'cogging' at very low speed and/or when first taking off from dead start slowly. That IS completely normal for this car. Uncensored BL motors do this for reasons I won't go into here

RC Racer
    Europe, Slovenia.
    I got an answer from traxxas, saying I should sent the ESC in. And since it's only been a week of my purchase the repair will be free. I'll only pay for shipping which is probably pretty expensive but wth, I want my car running again.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S
    Be sure to tell me how you get on... IE turnaround time, ETC.
    I live in the UK and wouldn't mind knowing just for future reference.
    Cheers.

RC poster
    To update my situation, I just got the brand new ESC today. Took a lil over a month but I got it
    It only cost me 5 bucks to send it to US and they sent it back free of charge. Very satisfied with traxxas support!

However, I do have a problem setting up the new ESC to my transmitter. Transmitter recognizes the new ESC and the car is working but throttle trigger is dead. Steering knob works as sterring and throttle. Example, if I turn the steering knob right, the car will go backwards and steer right. I tried resetting the transmitter to default but it didnt work. Any ideas?

RC Racer
    Look at you reciever. It has two places to plug in channel 1. Why I am not sure unless it is for a truck with dual ESCs'. You should plug in to the second number 1 with your steering and channel 2 with your ESC. Through me off when I replaced mine too! Two ports for channel 1??? Hope this helps!!

RC poster
    That helped! TYVM!

RC Racer
    Glad to help. Happy Bashing!