RC Enthusiast

Question Castle sidewinder sct3800 kv or velineon 3500 ?

Need help which is actually better Castle sidewinder sct3800 kv or velineon 3500 ?NOTE IM only in racing in a short course track or either jumping stuff.PLEASE tell me which motor is actually better.which 1 would win a race.

TRAXXAS SLASH!1:10
    THE BEST=FAITH IS A RISK

RC Champion
    I'd go with the CC sidewinder 3800 setup. The castle setup you can program the esc. With the velineon system you cannot. The 3800 and esc setup will not get hot like the VXL system.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    I have the 3800 SCT in my Slash and its a beast.. I had to dial out torque and punch control to get it drivable on the conditions that I use it in.. The important thing is that I can do this.. You can't do much of anything with the traxxas velineon.. I can make mine super powerful or tame as a kitten... Which one would win a race.. If they are racing each other, I would say the Castle, just because of the systems flexibility.. After running two battery packs (5000mah 40C 2S lipo's ) back to back yesterday on the pavement, short grass and some dirt, the motor temp never got above 110, the esc was still cool and the batteries where cool as well.. I can still gear up if I want to, but its running just under 40mph like this with so much power, I may just leave it this way..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    Cenracer what pinion/spur set up are you running?
    Tomorrow can wait till tomorrow.

RC Champion
    23/90... for now.. its running so cool, I will probably go to 23/86... It lacking a bit in top end. (mid 30's)... My son wants to be able to run into the low 40's..

RC Racer
    Thanks. I am starting @ 19/86 but haven't been able to really try it out besides on my driveway (20 -25yds). Once it stops raining, the guys who run the track can get some work done and I will bring it down there! But the acceleration is so nice!

RC Champion
    20-25yards... Thats like hitting the throttle and the brake at the same time.. Try the road in front of the house.. maybe you will have more room... Don't run in the rain.. that esc isn't waterproof at all..

RC Racer
    I know! Been working late and coming home in the dark so I need the garage light to see! haha I know that I am pathetic!

RC Qualifier
    +1 for CC SCT
    E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
    I know! Been working late and coming home in the dark so I need the garage light to see! haha I know that I am pathetic!
    thats not pathetic.. Its obsession.. I ran mine last night in the dark with my son.. we have LED headlights and taillights on ours so we can see where they are.. Too bad I can't see the curbs or parked cars... LOL

RC Racer
    I would also recommend the Castle combo, mainly for the fact that Castle customer care is very, very good.

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Is the sct3800 kv the castle setup to get for a 4x4 Slash?

edit, this is for a 4x4 Slash, with 3s 11.1v 5400mah lipos.
    Last edited by USMC_fallguy; 05-04-2011 at 07:18 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    thats not pathetic.. Its obsession.. I ran mine last night in the dark with my son.. we have LED headlights and taillights on ours so we can see where they are.. Too bad I can't see the curbs or parked cars... LOL
    I bought a rustler for my 8 yr old daughter and an evader for my 5yr old son. They love it! Every Sunday they ask me..are you charging the batteries? It used to be ... can you put a show on for me? Good bonding with them!

RC Competitor
    Wouldnt this be better for the Slash?

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html

RC Qualifier
    Yes the castle is better but I love my vxl system, has been running strong for 1 1/2 years and right now I have it geared 14/56 with 4.8 inch tall tires and it never gives up
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_fallguy View Post
    Wouldnt this be better for the Slash?

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html
    No it wouldn't be.. Unless you are only looking to do high speed runs.. That motor is too big for the slash, sticks out too far and has way to much low end power.. The best Castle combo for the Slash at this point is the SCT3800 combo.. It has crazy bottom end from the 4 pole motor and you have tons of programming and gear options..

RC Champion
    USMC_fallguy yes that setup the MMP sct system would be perfect for the 4x4. The sidewinder 3800 setup is the one for the slash 2wd.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    Does he have the 2wd slash or the 4x4.. Since this thread is on the 2wd side, I figured thats what he has... Its completely overkill for the 2wd...

RC Racer
    The 2400kv motor doesn't fit in the 2wd slash, unless your were to modify the gear/tranny box.
    That's coming from CC support. The 3800kv 4pole motor is the one for the Slash. Which can be paired with the MMP or the SCT ESC.

THX
    2wd Slash MMP/3800kv/Savox1258tg

RC Competitor
    I have the 4x4 slash. Just ordered that with the mounting hardware for the esc.

RC Champion
    sct 3800 hands down it blows the vxl away

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_fallguy View Post
    I have the 4x4 slash. Just ordered that with the mounting hardware for the esc.
    What mounting hardware are you talking about? Mounting hardware from Castle?
    You are mounting which ESC, MMP??
    Is there mounting hardware for the SCT ESC??

EXPLAIN AND PICS PLEASE
    THX

RC Racer
    My buddy just got the system about two weeks ago and ran it with 3s and it got SUPER hot. So hot it melted away from the servo tape...
    Rusty VXL W/ Sandrail Chassis (Coming soon...)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jpure009 View Post
    What mounting hardware are you talking about? Mounting hardware from Castle?
    You are mounting which ESC, MMP??
    Is there mounting hardware for the SCT ESC??

EXPLAIN AND PICS PLEASE
    THX
    This is what I got to mount the esc with; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

This is the motor, esc I got; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370502978733

RC Qualifier
    I don't know if I want to sell my vxl and get this system or not because my friend runs the 3800 in his stampede with mashers and it gets just as warm as my vxl geared 21/86 where my vxl is geared 14/56
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Racer
    THX USMC,
    I have the SCT, and found a small plastic platform to tape it on. I have it mounted where the VXL/XL5 ESC goes on the 2wd SLASH. If I can put pics up I will. U guys get what I'm saying though.

When i do upgrade to the MMP I will keep this in mind.
    THX

RC Competitor
    hi new to the forum but not to the rc world just got castle sct combo and all i can say it wow what a set upbest thing i ever got. it runs cool smooth very powerful well be running a 21/86. well get logger later on for to see that amps watts etc.

RC Enthusiast
    Which one is faster?

RC Competitor
    The vxl and castle motors have the same rotor and number of turns, but the castle has more wires and will have higher peak power

RC poster
    Have any of you installed the Bluetooth and used the app for velineon. I've seem some of these options throttle response and throttle trim. I put all that on my 4x4 slash for the temp, speed, and voltage. I've never messed with any of the throttle stuff have any of you?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    Sometimes I do the same thing wanting to run a pack down to storage voltage before putting one of my cars up.
    My wife is like “the neighbors are gonna hear that “ yet she’s right there to take her turn at the wheel when I drive in daylight.