RC poster

Center Driveshaft Rattling...

I just bought my slash a week ago and was running good until i started bashing a little on it at a skate park, now the center driveshaft is kinda loose and rattles, rubs, and has about 1/4" play sliding forward and back... Im not sure what i did but i tore apart the rear to see if something shifted back there but found nothing. Is this normal for being bashed on or is something messed up somewhere? It sounds horrible and i have a nice groove wearing into the front of the shaft.

RC Champion
    You may have a slight bend in the driveshaft, I have had to replace mine once already. It made a whap whap sound when driving and you could se a distinct wear make on one section of the shaft which was only on one side of the shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlydwyzSlash View Post
    I just bought my slash a week ago and was running good until i started bashing a little on it at a skate park, now the center driveshaft is kinda loose and rattles, rubs, and has about 1/4" play sliding forward and back... Im not sure what i did but i tore apart the rear to see if something shifted back there but found nothing. Is this normal for being bashed on or is something messed up somewhere? It sounds horrible and i have a nice groove wearing into the front of the shaft.
    I think the groove is from steering arm. Mine did the same until I adjusted the end points on the Tx. And the free play front to back is I think normal. Slight rattle also.

RC Champion
    I installed 2 small o-rings at either end to take up the play, this will still allow for chassis flex and nod bind the drives
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Competitor
    Normal for the play in the shaft. I also got a groove in the shaft from the steering arm.
    You could remove some of the free play by sliding the front and rear drive gears further down the shafts, but that may increase the chance for binding.
    Slash 4x4:
    Takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'!

RC Enthusiast
    Mine slash is new as well, and I just noticed today...after bashing at a skate park as well...that there is a wear groove in the drive shaft where the steering arm is too! Must be normal?

RC poster
    I think if im slow at work this week im gonna install a cover for the front opening for the driveshaft to keep dirt out and help with the rattling and ill get some o rings from work too so i can take up the slack of the shaft movement... Thanks guys for your help on this