Thread: 1/5 scale

1/5 scale

I was doing some surfing on the web for 1/5 scales. With bigger brushless motors. I hope Traxxas is working away, at coming out with a 1/5 4x4 truck. If not I think they are going to be missing part of the RC market. If you have never seen a 1/5 run they are so big they look like they are moving 100 mph when they are doing 40mph. 1/5 are a bast JMO but I wish mine was a 4x4, & ele. I can buy the XL but I still want a 4x4 so I am waiting to see who comes out with what. I found a couple but not what I am looking for.
    So now my Q&A
    1) Do you think a Revo would be a good 1/5 scale?
    2) Would you buy one?
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    I doubt it would be brushless...prob gas to compete with hpi and redcat racing
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Racer
    Redcat has a 1/5 brushless (XB-E)
    Traxxas MERV + ERBE + RALLY | Redcat Backdraft 8E

I have seen that one.^^^ That is why I started this thread. Game on 1/5 brushless.
    Castle makes a mod kit for a 1/5 already. So the motors & ESC's are ready.
    For those who have not seen it.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ml:woot::woot:
    I would even take a redesigned Maxx. The truck has to be able to hold 8000 mAh 8S batt tho.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 05-10-2011 at 06:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    A slightly redesigned slash 2wd, a slash 4x4 and a revo 1/5 would would cool. the 2wd slash would be a competition with hpi, the 4x4 slash would be a great fun 1/5 race truck, and the 1/5 revo would be just like the 1/10 revo, whatever you want it to be.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoman859

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    True 1/5 scale electric = $$$$, and then some; it would not have mass market appeal and would be a highly niche model. A stretched 1/8 MT can be made almost as big without that much work relatively speaking, and still use much cheaper 1/8 electric components.

A 1/5 'conversion kit' for the emaxx and erevo would be a much better seller if people just wanted a bigger truck- just look at the savage 5-T kit HPI sell, and the various XL or 1/5 scale aftermarket chassis available for the Savage platform; Traxxas is lagging behind quite badly in many areas of model development...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't think there is a market for it....

But I'd be VERY interested in seeing a revo chasis scaled up ~50%. We know it can scale down... lets see up....

Sorry: My link didn't work try again:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...cts_drive.html

RC Champion
    I think there is about a 10% chance on this.... Kinda like a true 1/8 diff that all erevo owners want but wont get anytime soon.

From traxxas it would be RTR so what do you guys think the price would be? $1000?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^I wish... figure more like $1200-1500 for a true 1/5 scale electric with a well engineered chassis and drivetrain; wouldn't be able to get away with weak plastic everywhere to save money as it just wouldn't hold up at all...

^ You are prob correct. But I am holding out hope. $1500.00 is a lot of $$$ for most pep. But if you stop & add up, what some pep have put into there trucks, & after spending $600 plus. You might be close if not higher then the 1200.00 - 1500.00. If it is well built & design not needing any upgrades (JMO) money well spent. I still think 1/5 are going to grow in popularty, & become a bigger market with BL motors. I will be watching as most pep to see who comes out with a well built true BL 1/5 4x4 MT. I am ready & waiting.

RC Qualifier
    The 1/5 scale market is growing like crazy here in parts of Utah, there are a lot of mx and atv guys with $$$ to spend and think the bigger the better. To guys with hobbies like that ^^ 1500-2k is cheap for a good time at the dunes without risking your neck all the time. We actually have a lhs or 2 that only deals with 1/5 rc's and I see models/brands coming out of those shops the general rc market (most of us) have never heard of. If Traxxas aimed for the right consumer it could be very profitable for them. However, Like aod mentioned, cheap plastics won't cut it everywhere and the production costs would be much higher so it would be a bit of a risk for a company who is already doing so well in the smaller scale markets.

I personally think Traxxas should jump in though, I think they could steal the market with the name they have made for themselves in 1:1 racing along with rc's. That is as long as they put a quality, lagit 1/5 scale design out. Heck they shrunk the Revo platform and completely stole that market with their many great 1/16 models, why not go the other way and let the Revo flourish in giant size.

So exciting to think about ...
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Enthusiast
    I have been waiting for a 1/5 scale brushless 4x4 monster truck from Traxxas for quite a while. My hope is that I won't have to wait much longer.

RC Qualifier
    No market because of HPI or no market? HPI is making a killing on 1/5 scale vehicles..

RC Enthusiast
    i buy a 1/5 scale revo for 1500.00 np **** i have 1300.00 in my e-revo now and not ever close to being done
    E-revo is the best!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    $3000 in my Gmaxx, $1500 in my TXT-1, $4000 in my old TXT-1; $1500 for a BL 1/5 scale would be cheap by my standards but unlike you Americans I simply dont have vast empty spaces to get something that large upto speed and then slow it down again, far too dangerous in an urban setting unless you limit your throttle use...

When I win the lottery...

When I win the lottery...

I want the first one. $1500.00 & not having to mod it to keep it together. The batteries have to fit with room to spare too. Parts are going to break but at least have them to scale of the truck.
    Money well spent JMO. If Traxxas doesen't build it someone will & It might be any one of us on here... Race is on who gets there first. I know there is alot that goes into pricing bla bla. But priced right with a descent profit, they will sell like crazy.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 05-16-2011 at 08:41 PM.

RC Champion
    Well.....heres my view on this. Current pricing is obviously based on the 5b and 5t, and with the guess that the system powering it would be the Mamba XL system. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the finished product to cost between $1500-$1700. That kind of money is fine for most of us as we don't spend that much up front. Me personally 10th and 8th scale is all I ever plan on owning......at my current level of income. If the stars align and as GN stated I were to win a jackpot prize in the lotto, then Id order a fleet of those suckers and the build the ultimate rc playground and invite most of you to come and go crazy.

RC Qualifier
    I hope so to. They should make an electric one, because the niche in the market for gas ones is used. They should put the castle creations 1/5 system in it. They used the castle creations system in the E revo brushless, so why not in a new 1/5 vehicle?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

This is an old thread, almost a year. Didn't want to start a new thread. Just an update another RC company came out with a 1/5 4x4 (2-stroke 26cc gasoline engine) selling for $1,600. I was told they are making an ele version, but I have yet to find it.. Still holding out for now....I will be supprised if Castle doesn't come out with a ele conversion kit for it, soon... If they are not making an ele version already...

the company will most likely use the 1/5 scale electric conversion setup they sell now in an electric 1/5. makes since because castle makes the 1/8 monster-1/7 motor for trx and the 1/8 also and the make the 1/5. would be nice to see a 1/5 electric for sale and not have to buy something extra like a motor/esc to convert it from gas. thats an RC i would buy and save for 4 sure.
    Living life.

Yes they are already make the LX2 & 2028 780kv, would just need the mounts..

RC Racer
    Gasoline revo ====AWESOME