Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Pros and Cons of the 2wd and 4wd Stampede, which to buy?

I am converting my nephews XL-5 into a VXL for him and have decided to get a Stampede for my own for bashing around with him. What are the pros and cons for the 2wd and the 4wd, I am trying to decide which one to purchase.

thanks
    Change is coming in 2012!

RC Qualifier
    2wd
    Pros: less expensive, simpler, fewer moving parts.
    Cons: less control, can't get over as many obstacles.
    4wd
    Pros: can go over all sorts of terrain, handles better, more control
    Cons: more expensive, slighty more complicated/more parts (not by much though, just center driveshaft and front diff)

Personally, I would recommend the 4wd
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo Brushless
    RC8.2e

RC Enthusiast
    Both are great trucks, cant go wrong with either one! But I do agree with wessle double t.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Id recommend the 2X4 to be honest. Its simplicity and excessive power make it a blast to not just drive, but own also. Plus, all your parts are interchangeable. Which makes alot of sense when buy or stocking spare parts.
    The 4X4 is a GREAT truck, but its extra cost and complexity make it more work to buy and own. Id start with a 2X4 pede... then if you decide you really want a 4X4, get one. If the guy (or kid) you run with has a 2X4 and you have a 4X4 your capabilities are matched... its just more fun if both trucks go the same places and do the same things. Truth is, I havent found too many places my 4X4 can go that my 2X4 cant... and my 2X4 is so much cheaper to maintain and fix. Im a big fan of both, but if I could only own one... it would be a 2X4 for SURE...

I think the 4x4 is the way to go.

I'm not sure what you guys call 'simplicity', but machanically, the 4x4 is simpler that the 2x4. Every time I rip into a magnum 272 I have to break out my old 'pede instruction manual to put the thing back together. The 4x4 has no tranny to speak of, just a spur, a pinion and two diffs, what could be simpler?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Theres no way the 4X4 is simpler. Ill give you the tranny on a 2X4 is the most complicated part... but theres only 3 moving gears... I could rebuild one with my eyes closed. The 4X4 on the other hand has a bellcrank steering system, far more complicated slipper system that can ONLY be adjusted properly by removing it, 2 differentials (as opposed to just one) 4 driveshafts... based strictly on moving parts alone the 4X4 is more complicated not to mention how it all goes together... But I supposed as with most things here... its all personal opinion.

We'll have to agree to disagree...

Both trucks have a bell-crank steering system, so that's out.

You can throw the drive shafts out, adding two doesn't make it more coplicated, just more reundant parts.

One diff, two diff, again, not more complicated, just redundant. The diffs on the 4x4 make sense, the planetary system on the 2x4 is voodoo magic...

I will give you the slipper clutch, but adjusting the diff on the 2x4 is a lot more difficult to tune and swap out. On the 4x4, you are only a couple of bolts away from anything being removed, including the slipper, to do anything in the 2x4 tranny you are ripping the entire back end out and apart. When I wanted to test different fluid weights in my Rusty's diff, I found it easier to have three trannies. I would put everything together the night before then swap them out trackside for testing, and that was still a giant pain in the rear...

I guess this is why my last truck with a Magnum 272, my 2x4 Slash is up for sale and my 4x4 'Pede gets most of my attention...

RC Enthusiast
    I think the 2wd pede is the way to go fer yah. It's more forgiving when u get kinda crazy with it. Well thats been the case with my 2wd vs my 4wd. I broke alot of stuff on my 4by when i got it compared to when i got my 2by.

A 2X4 pede doesnt have a bellcrank steering system. its direct from the servo saver. When you want to remove a diff in either a 4X4 or a 2x4 you have to remove the driveshafts so having 2 more up front does complicated the "ease" of a diff swap, though I will agree, not as much as the 2X4. However, for a guy who wants to run with his son, I doubt swapping a diff is a big concern. Furthermore, with 4 driveshafts there are twice as many failure points... and from what ive read... the fronts are almost more likely to fail than the rears... so to me, that IS an added complexity. More moving parts is always more complex to work on.
    The way the diffs work on all these trucks is exactly the same. They have 4 spider gears inside a diff housing... one diff isnt any different that the other, other than in the 2X4 its not sealed... not sure why teh 2X4 is "voodoo magic" its just a grease filled, non sealed diff... no magic there. Same basic parts as the 4X4... just in a bit different shape.

RC Racer
    I have both a 2x4 and a 4x4. I started with the 2x4 and almost feel like the 2x4 is more fun to drive than the 4x4.

2x4
    Pros: Cheap, easy to fix, fast, crazy handling, turns super tight, can use cheap motor/batteries and ESC if you buy roller.
    Cons: not much traction so can't climb over difficult things

4x4
    Pros: 4x4 climbs over anything, more forgiving handling
    Cons: turns like a bus, turning circle is 2x as large as my 2x4, needs much more powerful ESC/motor/batteries

All in all they are both fun but I'd probably recommend the 2x4 since your nephew has one and you'll be able to swap parts between the two. My 2x4 is a roller right now and sitting on a shelf but I find that we go to the beach more these days and we can drive the 4x4 in the sand much easier where the 2x4 just got stuck.

RC Qualifier
    id say drive his with the brushless then make your decision. its always more fun when you both have the same car. stock tires on the 2wd are not going to cut it. they will both need driveshafts with brushless. the 4wd is a much better car all around. my favorite car for bashing out of 30 cars ive had in the past 10 years. if you plan on takeing advantage of the waterproofness get 4wd

Lets face it, machanical sticking points aside, you just can't go wrong either way you go. ik623 makes an outstanding point, it would be easier to swap parts and repair both trucks if they are they same.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    A 2X4 pede doesnt have a bellcrank steering system. .
    My appoligies, for some reason I was thinking of the Slash steering and not the 2x4 'Pede...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-01-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: merge

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I have to agree with pave. Overall satisfaction goes to the 2x4. I can bash longer, for less money, with less effort with the 2x4.
    Even though I just got my pede 4x4 up and running, and am really exited by it, after running 2 packs through the pede4x4, I put it away and ran 4 packs through my 2x4. The 4x4 will be run sparingly to say the least. Still a killer truck, but when I hit lvc, I have a bigger smile on my face with the 2x4.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    when I hit lvc, I have a bigger smile on my face with the 2x4.
    This made me laugh... the smile-o-meter.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I just hope it doesn't turn into "permagrin".

RC poster
    I cant believe people think the 4x2 is simpler. i could do anything (aside from adjust the slipper) if half the time on my 4x4. not to mention its stonger if i put a 2x4 though what i do to my 4x4 id never get to run it cause id be fixing it all the time.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, so many opinions!
    Change is coming in 2012!

Theres no way the 4X4 is simpler. Ill give you the tranny on a 2X4 is the most complicated part... but theres only 3 moving gears... I could rebuild one with my eyes closed. The 4X4 on the other hand has a bellcrank steering system, far more complicated slipper system that can ONLY be adjusted properly by removing it, 2 differentials (as opposed to just one) 4 driveshafts... based strictly on moving parts alone the 4X4 is more complicated not to mention how it all goes together... But I supposed as with most things here... its all personal opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree...

You can throw the drive shafts out, adding two doesn't make it more coplicated, just more reundant parts.

One diff, two diff, again, not more complicated, just redundant. The diffs on the 4x4 make sense, the planetary system on the 2x4 is voodoo magic...

I will give you the slipper clutch, but adjusting the diff on the 2x4 is a lot more difficult to tune and swap out. On the 4x4, you are only a couple of bolts away from anything being removed, including the slipper, to do anything in the 2x4 tranny you are ripping the entire back end out and apart. When I wanted to test different fluid weights in my Rusty's diff, I found it easier to have three trannies. I would put everything together the night before then swap them out trackside for testing, and that was still a giant pain in the rear...

I guess this is why my last truck with a Magnum 272, my 2x4 Slash is up for sale and my 4x4 'Pede gets most of my attention...
    That's a new one on me.
    See this little gem?
    Attachment 1285
    At least on the Slash 4x4, with this tool all you might need to remove is the driveshaft cover. My cover doesn't go all the way to the back as I've heard reported that others do, so I need to remove... nothing to adjust my slipper.

Both Stampedes have a lot going for them. If I had to keep only one... sorry pav & rag, but it wouldn't be the 2WD. However, it wouldn't be a decision made lightly.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

I may need more time with the 4xpede. I still have a slight tick over last years slashx4 racing maintenance marathon with that driveline. The castle clearance special 1800kv/mmpro on 4s in this truck is a little heavy for it. Maybe a lighter combo, and reducing the weight of 2 batts will help nimble it up a bit. I do like the power of that motor though. Not too too much.

As of now, eat my 2wd dust(as you pass me).

I have tried that tool for adjusting the slipper... I just dont get it as accurate as Id like. It always feels like im guessing. With the 2X4 (id dont run a gear cover so thats one less step for me) I just remove the rear wheel and can see exactly what im doing. Personal preference in methods I suppose...

Also, on a pede... the front driveshaft cover bolt is covered by the RX box... so youd need to remove that before removing the driveshaft cover then adjust the slipper... I dont know... I just cant see how that can be easier than the 2X4...

Also, on a pede... the front driveshaft cover bolt is covered by the RX box... so youd need to remove that before removing the driveshaft cover then adjust the slipper... I dont know... I just cant see how that can be easier than the 2X4...
    Well, that's a bother. I never said it was easier though. Different strokes - I don't adjust slippers by sight. They simply take one look at me and adjust themselves.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    4x4 is well worth the extra cash and can have mods done to make it 2wd
    Be sure and watch for(crunch and smash) cars...>.<

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Well, that's a bother. I never said it was easier though. Different strokes - I don't adjust slippers by sight. They simply take one look at me and adjust themselves.
    This made me laugh out loud and my wife had to come see what was so funny... your like the chuck norris of RC.

I sure got a kick out of it...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    You give your truck the "crazy eyes" lol
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

The new ksbguy?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The new ksbguy?
    I figured someone would get it lol
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Last weekend I went through so many stock front stub axles (due to upgraded motor and tight slipper) that I ran out of spares. I have upgraded axles in the rear, so I simply removed the front half-shafts and the center drive shaft and ran it as a 2wd.

The difference was night and day. As a 2wd it was almost as squirly off the line as my 2wd RC10B4.1. With 4wd I could punch the throttle and take off in a straight line doing a 100 yard wheelie. As 2wd, punching the throttle would mean I'd be doing donuts 3 feet away from where I started. It's ability to climb hills became laughable, and I found myself getting stuck on relatively small obstacles that would have been trivial as 4wd.

It probably wouldn't matter much on pavement or short grass, but when the terrain gets tough, 2wd gets left behind.

RC Qualifier
    My only observation to add is the brakes on the 4x4 stop the Pede more quickly than the 2WD Pede. I like this.....

But, with the 2WD Pede, it is easy to throw the rear end into a skid while stopping and spin the Pede 180 degrees, making it ready to go roaring off in the opposite direction.

So, skidding around, 2WD, fast stopping 4X4.

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    There is also re-sell value. 2x4 has no market for used cars as the new kits are pretty cheap to begin with. I've seen a number of 2x4 cars that go un-sold for a really long time. 4x4 has much better re-sell value and are much more in demand right now at least.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    Yeah like pave said I haven't had any luck using that tool to adjust the slipper and like he said it feels like I am " guessing ". It only takes like 2 minutes to remove it and adjust and put it back together. Ever since I got the King Headz Motor Mount with the oversized bearing, it's more of a pain pulling the spur out, I really have to pull pretty hard towards me and try to bend it downwards to clear the chassis. Before it just popped out pretty easily. No biggie though.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Yeah like pave said I haven't had any luck using that tool to adjust the slipper and like he said it feels like I am " guessing ". It only takes like 2 minutes to remove it and adjust and put it back together. Ever since I got the King Headz Motor Mount with the oversized bearing, it's more of a pain pulling the spur out, I really have to pull pretty hard towards me and try to bend it downwards to clear the chassis. Before it just popped out pretty easily. No biggie though.
    Drop down to a 52T or 50T spur gear....it's SO much easier to get out.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

Im considering buying a Stampede also and since this is a monster truck Im going to assume your using this for off road driving... I recently bought a 4x4 Slash and 4 wheel drive makes a world of difference when driving on terrain other than the street... I can guarantee if you tested out a 2x4 and a 4x4 before you made the purchase it would be an easy decision. There isnt any more maitenance but with more moving parts in the 4x4 theres more of a chance of something breaking. The 4x4 drivetrain is a little more complicated than a 2x4 set up so its a little more work to fix it and change things like the spur gear but once you have it up and running you will be glad you went with the 4x4... heavily wooded areas are no match for my Slash, I can only imagine how much fun a 4x4 (waterproof!) Stampede would be in these kinds of conditions
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I have a 4x4 stampede broke 1 front drive shaft so I took the other 1 off now my 4x4 is a 2wd and is super fun it seems faster with only the 2 rear tires pulling it slings golf ball sized rocks across my yard about 20-30ft but does anyone know if this will hurt anything running my 4x4 pede with only the rear drive shafts connected?

RC poster
    I have a 4x4 but have recently broke a front drive axle so I took them both out of the front and I now have a 2wd stampede which seems faster with the 2wd set up but whenever I can make it back to the hobby shop I can get the drive for the front but can't say I'll put em in haha so my advice would be buy a 4x4 that way you get the best of both worlds with ten minutes of disconnecting/connecting the front drive axles

RC poster
    hello, I am planning to buy 2wd stampede vxl and just gone through these questions. I see that for sure could be better to have 4wd to run in the forest and snow etc. but the price is double? with 4x4 compared to 2wd.I can also compare "non vxl 4wd" and vxl 2wd. the latter have better components I believe.

I dont take it for wheelie but smaller turning circle is much better aroun our house. 4wd have better weight balance, not too much take wheelies? but can I add some weights or move batteries a bit forward or? is there big difference 3000 mah nimh or 4600 mah nimh accu in weight? (meaning more or less wheelie). I guess with lipo due to less weight and more power it would be more difficult to run on 4 wheels.

I have the 2wd vxl. My only gripe is that it handles like a dump truck. Its horribly unbalanced and narrow. The center of gravity is high up and very rearward making for a truck that wheelies and traction rolls a lot.

It is inherently simple, yes, but i dont think its any more or less simple than the 4wd.

My vote goes to the 4wd.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Brushed stampede 4x4 is roughly a hundred more than 2wd version. I believe its going to be a much better choice in the long run. On the batteries you wanna go with high mah number. Mah is like the size of the gas tank. A 2000 or 3000mah battery will only give you roughly 15 to 25 min run time. A 5000 or 6000 mah battery will roughly give you 30 to 40 minutes run time. Those are just examples. A 2wd pede can not be converted to a 4wd. If you bought a 4x4 and absolutely hated it, which I doubt you will, you can always remove front diff and run it as a 2wd. The 4x4's are a bit heavier so they tend to have a bit better handling whereas the 2wd as mentioned are light and seem to flip over a little easier. If you really want a 2wd Id suggest a slash as its wider stance and if you lowered it a bit is a lit more stable than the 2wd pede. I wanted several different models when I first started looking at them. A very knowledgeable Trx rep strongly suggested a Stampede 4x4 for my first according to what I was wanting(which was a mix of things), and eventually I owned 2 brushed Pede 4x4's and a brushless Pede Vxl 4x4. Now I own 13 Trx rc's lol.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-25-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    hello, I am planning to buy 2wd stampede vxl and just gone through these questions. I see that for sure could be better to have 4wd to run in the forest and snow etc. but the price is double? with 4x4 compared to 2wd.I can also compare "non vxl 4wd" and vxl 2wd. the latter have better components I believe.

I dont take it for wheelie but smaller turning circle is much better aroun our house. 4wd have better weight balance, not too much take wheelies? but can I add some weights or move batteries a bit forward or? is there big difference 3000 mah nimh or 4600 mah nimh accu in weight? (meaning more or less wheelie). I guess with lipo due to less weight and more power it would be more difficult to run on 4 wheels.
    I feel that the 4x4 is 100% worth the extra cash. The 4x4 can still turn plenty sharp for running it in the yard. The difference in parts make it a big upgrade over the 2wd. The 4x4 drivetrain is way stronger and has a simpler design that's easy to work on. If you like driving 2wd better, I would still say buy the 4x4 and just remove the center drive shaft.

My main reason I prefer the 4x4 is because of the diffs:

4wd: the diffs are sealed and very durable. No issues.

2wd: The diff is NOT sealed, so you can't add fluid to make it limited slip. With no limited slip, it feels like 1-wheel-drive when running it off road. I modified mine so it could be sealed, filled it with heavy diff fluid, then the planetary gears inside the diff started breaking.

RC poster
    I just went through this, and here is my story... needed two trucks for me and my 6yr old son. Better investment that iPad or X-Box. I decided on the Stampede 4x4 Brushed. Here is why:
    1) 4wd will do better in grass and mixed surfaces
    2) Brushed is fast for 6yr old
    3) Brushed gives me a chance to do my own upgrade to brushless
    4) Brushed has less “heavy duty”’parts, so more upgrade fun when stock breaks
    5) they match which means no one has an advantage to start, which avoids an argument on why Dad’s is better :-)
    6) lots of parts and hop ups
    7) allows us to try lots of different locations and surfaces we can learn what each other likes most.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast