RC Racer

Insight on using spartan in OCEAN???

Im currently about to purchase a spartan with all the upgrades for lipos:
    bigger hoses and inlets, aluminum motor cooler, 2nd pick up for water and second outlet, extra trim tabs, and sealed hatch with weatherstrip. Curious to know as if anyone has or can it be done to run it on calm ocean waters with lipos. lipos may not be good due to water getting them unless there is a waterproof lipos that i dont know about. so maybe just the regular batteries. will the salt water damage or Clog any of the lines or ESC? I would be of course running the boat in fresh water for a good 15 to 20 min. after ocean to flush any salt remains. Let me know any and all info on this matter of running in ocean water? thanks

RC Racer
    just make sure you get a good rinse of the boat components inside and out should be all you will need to do

RC Competitor
    I ran mine in the bay (ocean city) Bad Idea.....salt water corroded up everything....make sure you dont flip it ! and run tape!

RC Qualifier
    You will be fine once you don't get salt water inside to the components such as the RX. I ran and will only be running my Spartan in ocean/salt water. WD-40 is your friend!
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OnenOnlyCanuck View Post
    lipos may not be good due to water getting them unless there is a waterproof lipos that i dont know about.
    In fact there are waterproof lipos. Maxamps lipos such as these are all certified as 100% waterproof. Although they are pricey, I've heard you ge twhat you pay for.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-01-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    they sure are pricey but good to know. thanks on all this insight so far. I bet i should get extra trim tabs for the back due to the small current or waves i may encouter in the ocean.

RC Competitor
    Just a tip..... I use . . .lipos.... two 3s 5000mah 30c lipos in series.... I brushed 5 min. epoxy on both ends... 2 heavy coats..... they have a lot of use on them and they are WATERPROOF now !! under $30 for a waterproof lipo !!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-12-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Language abuse.

RC Racer
    Maxamps are a "water proof" case, the plugs are still open.
    and it's not water that's conductive it's what's in water and salt water is highly conductive.
    Given that saltwater is the preferred method of making lipos disposal safe and the spartan's affinity to taking on water, I'd call running in salt water a bad idea.

Spartan Manual
    See page 18, top right paragraph, titled "Where to Run" for:
    "Select a body of fresh water...," (emphasis added) and "Running your model in salt water is not recommended."
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Why make a boat that shouldn't be ran in sea/salt water? Is it a boat or something else?

Anywho...I would reiterate. For anyone running their boats in salt water; using a bit of common sense by rinsing/using WD-40 around the steel parts at the transom area after runs would prolong their life.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli72 View Post
    Why make a boat that shouldn't be ran in sea/salt water? Is it a boat or something else?
    The problem is that many people will just run the boat in salt water and stick it on the shelf. Next time they try to use it, it's all rusted up and won't work properly...that is why I think the manual says that.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Would have to agree why have a boat if not ran in ocean! I will be buying the biggest spray can of wd-40 tomorrow and I also got some salt away at a west marine boat store. It's applies by being sprayed on and will stop any kind of corrosion that may start after cleaning and running in my pool for 10 minutes to flush it all out. I like the idea of 5 min expoy lipo cheap batteries for waterproofing capabilities. Does anyone have any good ways to keep that hatch on and sealed? That seams to be the biggest issue for keeping water out of Spartan.

RC Qualifier
    I got the 'Hatch Seal Tape' from Kintec (Scroll down). I believe it's what most use. I'll be trying it out today for the first time.

RC poster
    Hello everyone. Here are some thoughts about using the Spartan or any other electric boat in salt water. Me personally I wouldn't do it. If you miss something by acccident it is corroded. I had a nitro boat that I ran in salt water. One day i forgot it flipped and water got in the engine. It seized up. If you are going to do it go to a jetski or waverunner dealership and get either bombardier lube or Kawachem. Yamaha makes one also. I used this on my jet skis for years and no corrosion. However, they have a lot of stainless steel bolts and what not. Just make sure you spray electronics before and after each use. And flush everything. I have run gas boats in salt with no proplems but they dont have batteries and brushless escs and motor. As for waterproofing batteries you can go to hardware store and get this rubber dip stuff. you dip each end of battery in and it seals them. It also looks good too.