RC Qualifier

My 2nd Villian IV build thread

I just got my New villian IV that I purchased off ebay.... Wow this think is mint it came with the box and all papers!!! I dont think this boat was ever ran...

This is my 2nd Villian IV the first one I slowly updated fixed the water leaks and added some much needed updates...

One day I got a little lazy and hit a rock... Fixed the damaged nose ( just zapped it all together) but now its the oh you dont have a boat to use.... use this one

after some glue...

Ok back to the Main thread!!! Here is the New Villian IV in stock form... I called my buddy who I got the first villian from and he said I need to run the boat as is just to appreciate it LOL I even have the stock Batts that I guess come with the boat... so I agreed and instead of tearing it down right away Im gonna drive it as is for all its glory.... Then tare it down and start the fun Im even gonna use the original controller

New Stuff waiting to be installed

Hmmm what shall i use to power this????
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-04-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: merge
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Champion
    velineon brushless motor. or the 540 thats in the spartan
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

Traxxas Marshal
    Nice looking boat! Don't see many in that condition these days!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    That thing looks great! I'm with your buddy on this, run it stock for a while just for old times sake!
    E-MAXX 3905 + Villain IV + Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the nice replies and suggestions on power...

ok here it is with all its glory and I guess that back in the day this was one FE !!! LOL

now some pics of my progress after the epic speed run HAHA...

OK now time for some power!!!

Last edited by cooleocool; 06-06-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: merge
    V Twin Emaxx

Traxxas Marshal
    Yikes! That thing looks slower than my stock Villain IV with the mechanical speed controller! Maybe it's the batteries?

At any rate, it looks like you've got a little more power now...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Yikes! That thing looks slower than my stock Villain IV with the mechanical speed controller! Maybe it's the batteries?

At any rate, it looks like you've got a little more power now...
    Im pretty sure the batterys are the slow issue...

Im getting ready to re appoxy the shafts and drill the holes for the water cooling any suggestions on what appoxy to use I want something thats not so brittle when dry... maybe Ill use less hardner when mixing the stuff

also i need some pics of esc mounting spots for my 2 vxl escs i cant find any good pics...
    V Twin Emaxx

RC Qualifier
    How are you going to cool the esc's?

Traxxas Marshal
    I wouldn't worry about the epoxy being any softer, you want it to be hard when you're installing the drive shaft housings. It shouldn't be brittle... make sure to use quality epoxy.

RC Champion
    I use the Villain EX rubber Grommets for drive tubes . U well hv to grind off the old epoxy using care , I used the drive shaft with a old pinion gear , you'll hv to drill out the old pinion gear to fit drive shaft . then used a cordless drill . this worked for me , I did 2 like this . you'll also hv to make the drv hole a little bigger but not to big or it won't seal good . soap well hlp to push drv tube throw rubber Grommets .

RC Qualifier
    Well here is a really bad vid of the boat running it was the maiden voyage of the twin vxl setup I kinda just shoved all electronics in their and hoped it would work... sorry bout the vid I didnt have someone to video and this was towards the end of the run... but kinda gives you a idea.... water was choppy...

My water cooling isnt working so well I have to fix that and their is no esc cooling at the moment... but temps were good not too hot at all but the batterys were really hot... thats nimh for ya now to get some lipos that fit...

once I get everything buttoned down and cleaned up I will have a sweet vid of the IV brushed VS IV Brushless !!!!

Running same pinion and same Batterys- 2x 8.4v Traxxas level 4
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: merge
    V Twin Emaxx

Traxxas Marshal
    Man, that looks fun! Makes me wish I could get out and drive my Villains (even though they're not nearly as fast as yours!).

The only thing I would really worry about will be those drive gears, but I bet they'll hold up decently for a while...just keep a couple on hand in case they do go out.

RC Racer
    The main point of running brushless is not to be trigger happy. I run mine on dual hobbywing system with 4000kv (8.5t) and dual 3S set-up and low punch.
    If I where to run full throttle from standing still, I will belive that I would have no spurs left. But it is great fun with dual brushless.
    And yours looks GREAT.
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447

RC Qualifier
    I cleaned it up a bit and got my escs mounted.... no water cooling for them yet dont know if I will.... they seem to be warm but not too hot at all after a full run... most of the heat is from the NIMH batterys and once I find a nice pair of lipos that fit, the heat should be reduced by alot....
    a few pics

their is alot of wiring going on I still want it to be accessible thats why I didnt route it under the electronics trey...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerhouse View Post
    The main point of running brushless is not to be trigger happy. I run mine on dual hobbywing system with 4000kv (8.5t) and dual 3S set-up and low punch.
    If I where to run full throttle from standing still, I will belive that I would have no spurs left. But it is great fun with dual brushless.
    And yours looks GREAT.
    Thank you sir.... do you have a pic of your setup just curious to see it... I have had issues with drive gears stripping but it was due to bad pinions... I havnt had any issues so far with stripping gears and I was def hard on her the first run!!! just in case I have 6 drive gears and alot of spare parts....
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-14-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: merge
    V Twin Emaxx

RC Racer
    I havenīt started my own thread but maybe I should. I also do not have a picture on the electronics since I re-painted the hull but the set-up is still the same, however a bit more tidy and also including cables between ESC and motor *smile*

There are some more pictures on my photobucket-account for further pictures
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447

RC Qualifier
    all I have to say is watch and enjoy... I did!!

!
    V Twin Emaxx

RC Qualifier
    now this is a brushless build...
    V Twin Emaxx