Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    205

    Question Center differential vs. slipper clutch

    From the manual:"The optional Center Differential transfers power to the front and rear differentials independently for smooth power delivery in rough conditions and maximum corner speed".

    I use my Slash for bashing - never under wet/muddy conditions.

    I installed the center differential in my 4x4 ultimate and think I have noticed a slight decrease in speed and an increase in heat of both engine and ESC. Am I wrong?

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25
    Noob question:
    Just curious, for what pupouse would one install the center diff?
    (more speed, better handling etc?)
    WiiiiiiBANG!doingdoingBAM! Dude, that was awesome!

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    205
    The center diff is for better handling.

    However, my question is if you actually loose some speed and run the engine and ESC hotter. I use Lipo 2S 5400mAh 45C batteries.

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Yes may be a fraction but on short tight tracks its a must......
    you can get into the turn better and power out of it much faster..... as for bashing sliper is still best
    another thing is change the center diff oil to 5K comes stock with i thing 100K its to tight.....
    changed diff oil to 20K front 5k center 7k rear and made one heck of a big difference.....

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,211
    I hat 50k in my center diff. It was too light for bashing, to heavy for racing.
    The lack of acceleration you notice may be from the center diff unloading, causing more power to go to the front wheels, and traction loss at the front. Put in a heavier oil to reduce this effect. ALso the lighter the center diff oil is, the more prone the plastic center diff case is to meltdown under hard bashing conditions. Flm makes an alum center diff case for $23 in case you like the loose diff, and are melting the plastic case.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Theres no need to run center diff for bashing..........
    Center diff is for racing only...
    anyone who runs center diff for bashing is crazzy the slipper is much better

    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I hat 50k in my center diff. It was too light for bashing, to heavy for racing.
    The lack of acceleration you notice may be from the center diff unloading, causing more power to go to the front wheels, and traction loss at the front. Put in a heavier oil to reduce this effect. ALso the lighter the center diff oil is, the more prone the plastic center diff case is to meltdown under hard bashing conditions. Flm makes an alum center diff case for $23 in case you like the loose diff, and are melting the plastic case.
    the center diff is NOT for bashing only for racing....
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-04-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: merge

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,211
    Please dont tell me what I can and cannot do with my truck. I bought it lol. Calling me crazy is just a little harsh.
    With the right oil wt, the center diff can perform just fine in most bashing situations short of super rough terrain. I like the increased control it gives on slick surfaces. You may enjoy doing donuts all day in the dirt, and wrecking your truck due to loss of control, but I dont. I can put much more power down with more control(on power and off) with the center diff.
    The definition of bashing in my opinion is having fun with your truck any way you want to. I have much more fun and get more satisfaction out of it using the center diff.
    As a mt, I like the slash x4 with the slipper for climbing and crawling situations. Set up in the stock config its just a different story for me.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Please dont tell me what I can and cannot do with my truck. I bought it lol. Calling me crazy is just a little harsh.
    With the right oil wt, the center diff can perform just fine in most bashing situations short of super rough terrain. I like the increased control it gives on slick surfaces. You may enjoy doing donuts all day in the dirt, and wrecking your truck due to loss of control, but I dont. I can put much more power down with more control(on power and off) with the center diff.
    The definition of bashing in my opinion is having fun with your truck any way you want to. I have much more fun and get more satisfaction out of it using the center diff.
    As a mt, I like the slash x4 with the slipper for climbing and crawling situations. Set up in the stock config its just a different story for me.
    If you understood What the center diff does you will realize that sunning a slipper durring bashing is a much better setup rather than losing rear power to the wheels...
    Not to mention that bashing put major stress on the center diff which will inturn work your motor and esc harder....

    if your adding thicker diff oil your defeating the whole center diff very tighter turns......

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    sterling hts MICHIGAN!
    Posts
    2,034
    i bash all the time with my center diff. it actually helps on takeoffs very well, and im running a mmp, a novak hv 5.5 with a 14 mm tuning rotor, and on 3s almost every day. i cant see any reason i cant drive it offroad... i still have the 100k in it too... and im most conditions it helps, not hurt.
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    205
    Just changed back to using the slipper clutch and emptied a battery in the same backyard lawn at almost the same outside temperature and same driving style.

    Now I feel that acceleration is almost identical and temperature of engine and ESC is too. The engine gets HOT! Like in BURNING HOT! Seriously considering spending some $ on a fan for the ESC and some passive cooling of the engine.

    As I suspected I prefer driving with the center differential. I like that the car can get around corners real fast and I think I'm going to look for a track sometime soon.

    Thanks for all your inputs. )

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    59
    I just had the set screw on my spur gear back itself out and destroyed the spur gear and center diff gear a couple days ago. so i got a 12 tooth spur from the lhs and went back to the slipper clutch with stock gear while im bashing in the driveway at home, (and waiting for parts). when i go back to work, i will put the center diff back in for racing with coworkers on the track. i prefer the center diff bc it rockets through the corners. when i bash at home, its basically the same conditions as far as ground and jumps so i never tried the slipper. it does take some getting used to when you put the slipper in bc the rear end gets looser easier, but still fun, new challenges always are. lol working to build a track at home as well.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,211
    Quote Originally Posted by laffy View Post
    If you understood What the center diff does oh but I do grasshopper... you will realize that sunning a slipper durring bashing is a much better setup just an opinion. I realize how much better my truck handles with a diff lol rather than losing rear power wonder why your truck spins out, and the the turning is not as controllable and precise to the wheels...
    Not to mention that bashing put major stress on the center diff which will this is what really gets me giggling inturn work your motor and esc harder....
    Actually, the diff unloading, and letting the front tires spin takes a good bit of strain away from the motor. More than a slipper effectively can. Kind of like a slipper that gives you better handling
    if your adding thicker diff oil your defeating The only way to defeat the center diff is to lock it. Otherwise, it is working correctly, to the specs I tuned it to. the whole center diff It is adjustable. You are supposed to change the oil to tune the diff for the handling characteristics you want. very tighter turns...... or just tighter... or wider... more or less oversteer.
    Have you actually used both the slipper and the diff??? You may be surprised how much more satisfaction you get when you can get the extra control that the diff provides. If the ft tires are unloading too much for you, go up in oil wt. Or just use the slipper for bashing if you like. Its all a personal preference. I have mine you have yours. You cant tell me what I like. The diff may be better for racing, but it is definitely not only for racing as you stated.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-06-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    205
    Update: Changed back to center differential and like it a lot more.

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1
    I have to chime in with my results using the Stampede VXL 4x4 and my experience with the slipper is on bashing it runs way cooler vs using the center diff. My motor, esc and lipos were running very hot with the center diff driving it through grass, dirt and round terrain usage. The slipper in it runs way cooler and zero issues with heat. I have an infrared temp gun and saw 125 temp in the summer with the slipper and 145+ with the center diff. The motor started bogging, esc I couldn't even touch and the traxxas lipo was very hot. It only makes sense because the slipper clutch is doing exactly what it should be doing in rough conditions, slipping instead of putting massive stress on the motor.
    That is my experience. I ditched the center diff and everything is great again.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier Fordbronco1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Have you actually used both the slipper and the diff??? You may be surprised how much more satisfaction you get when you can get the extra control that the diff provides. If the ft tires are unloading too much for you, go up in oil wt. Or just use the slipper for bashing if you like. Its all a personal preference. I have mine you have yours. You cant tell me what I like. The diff may be better for racing, but it is definitely not only for racing as you stated.

    ^Going by his join date and # of posts id say he knows what hes talking about^
    Slash 4X4 bunch of upgrades handful of shiny parts

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for posting this Rag6. Definitely good insights.
    Question, are you just running the Traxxas center diff #6814?

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    40
    First post, maybe a stupid question. Is the 6884 center dif housing a replacement for the 6814 assembly? I want to add the center dif to my slash 4x4, but I know I'm going to melt the housing where the bearing sits. The 6884 is a cheap replacement, so as long as I keep an eye on it after each run, I don't think it's necessary to buy an aluminum housing. I'm running with an 11.1v 3s lipo all the time, just bashing, never racing. Any input would be appreciated.

  18. #18
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,342
    I have 3 vehicles that are marketed as "bashers", they all came with center diffs. Like rag6 said, it's all about choosing the right oil. As far as the center diff creating a hotter motor and esc, totally possible. I went with super heavy diff fluid before and experienced similar results.
    Last edited by nickruger; 04-19-2018 at 03:30 PM.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    179
    I'm considering getting a center diff for my Stampede 4x4 VXL. I have my slipper clutch tightened so much that it never slips. I run 3s lipo and I have a fan on my ESC and heatsink+2 fans on my motor, but my ESC still goes into thermal protection sometimes (its not a significant problem, and the motor temps stay low enough). I'm also using MIP x-duty drive shafts and pro-line trenchers.

    The main reason I'm considering a center diff is because I would like to be able to transfer more power to the front wheels. Currently the truck wheelies non-stop and can even do standing backflips. If I loosen the slipper it makes it wheelie less but it doesn't help me accelerate any faster, and I hate the slipper clutch slipping so I don't loosen it (I don't have any problems with parts breaking due to tight slipper clutch). I'm thinking that if I could transfer more of the power to the front wheels then I could accelerate faster before the truck starts to wheelie. Does this logic sound right?

    When I'm trying to do speed runs the truck wheelies when I'm already going 30+ MPH, which makes it very hard to hit top speed. I have to accelerate very slowly even when already going very fast or I get yet another wheelie.

    Another reason I would like more power in the front wheels is because when I accelerate hard when pulling out of a turn the truck instantly wheelies and since its not completely straight it of course rolls over. I would like for the truck to roll over less and I think a center diff could help with that (I already have sway bars and use low shock mounting positions). Does this logic sound right?

    Does the center diff break easier than a fully tightened slipper clutch? This would be my only real concern. The slipper clutch is supposed to help things not break, but it doesn't do that when its so tight that it never slips, which is how I use and I don't have breakage issues.

    Also please don't tell me to loosen my slipper clutch, I've done that before and I hate it. The slipper clutch is an abomination in my opinion. Real cars don't have a slipper clutch for a reason; they are a silly hack designed for RC cars to prevent issues that should be solved in better ways. When I hit the gas I want the motor's power to turn my drive shafts (and the diff's to do their jobs), I don't want some silly slipping device to let that power go and make a loud squealing sound.
    Last edited by sevin7; 07-14-2018 at 07:38 AM.

  20. #20
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,197
    I think converting to a Slash LCG chassis would do the most to help your problems. I don’t think the center diff stands up to 3S, it can barely handle 2S.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    361

    Center differential vs. slipper clutch

    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I think converting to a Slash LCG chassis would do the most to help your problems. I donít think the center diff stands up to 3S, it can barely handle 2S.
    Yes, slash have really small and weak center diff, there is no place for bigger one like in 1/8 scale :/ On my 1/8 cars I would never mount slipper instead center diff.
    I wonder if you upgrade center diff case to aluminum one, will it be more durable?

    @sevin7
    I am not so sure that center diff will help you to solve your heat problems.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alexsasax; 07-14-2018 at 04:33 PM.

  22. #22
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1
    Awesome info guys. I created an account just to thank you all for the insight. I have decided to upgrade my Slash LCG to a center diff and I'm thinking I'll start with 50K oil just to see how I like it and then go from there.

  23. #23
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexProxy View Post
    Awesome info guys. I created an account just to thank you all for the insight. I have decided to upgrade my Slash LCG to a center diff and I'm thinking I'll start with 50K oil just to see how I like it and then go from there.
    Depending on what your running in the truck, you might want to look at getting an alloy cup as suggested. I run one on my 4pede on 3S with a max10 sct/3200kv 3665 motor and 2.8" trenchers. It does really well with 250k. I started with 100k and it just unloaded the diff constantly towards the front. Granted, with a slash, smaller wheels/tires, you won't be likely to have as much diffing out with lighter oil.

    I found that the plastic cup didn't hold the diff true and I chewed through a couple spurs trying to run a single pack on 3S. Now with a FastLaneMachine alloy cup and 54 plastic spur, it's held up really well.




    I run my stampede pretty hard:


    I went with the center diff because on 3S, I was just wheelieing everywhere. Now it still wheelie's, but it's far more controllable. Again, not likely as big of an issue on a slash being LCG, longer, smaller tires.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    361
    New steel diff design for 1/10th Traxxas 4x4, Is it real?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    New steel diff design for 1/10th Traxxas 4x4, Is it real?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks real:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6780

    https://www.rcplanet.com/traxxas-com...l-kit-tra6780/

    I ran across that a while back and forgot about it. So far, my FLM/plastic spur has been holding up though on 3S abuse.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  26. #26
    RC Racer GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    248

    Very interesting. I wonder if/how this changes the existing dynamic of whether you should be running a slipper or center diff. As someone who is mainly a basher, I've always been lead to believe that a center diff wouldn't really be the best option for me. In my case I run a Slash 4x4 Monster Truck on 4S. While using the slipper, I have to have it fully tightened down as allowing any slippage whatsoever while using that amount of power seems to just result in a melted spur. The truck runs fine with the slipper fully tightened down but makes me wonder more about the new center diff since I'm not actually using the slipper the way it's meant to be used.

    Also, it's always been the general consensus that using a metal pinion with a plastic spur is ideal. Using a metal spur is like going to your fuse box and preemptively wrapping all of your fuses in aluminum foil so that they can handle more power. But now Traxxas is using a metal spur themselves on their newest and best center diff? Maybe it's not that big of a deal? I already have a Robinson Racing hardened metal pinion so I'm good in that regard, but do I really want to eliminate having a plastic spur as a cheap failure point?

  27. #27
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Very interesting. I wonder if/how this changes the existing dynamic of whether you should be running a slipper or center diff. As someone who is mainly a basher, I've always been lead to believe that a center diff wouldn't really be the best option for me. In my case I run a Slash 4x4 Monster Truck on 4S. While using the slipper, I have to have it fully tightened down as allowing any slippage whatsoever while using that amount of power seems to just result in a melted spur. The truck runs fine with the slipper fully tightened down but makes me wonder more about the new center diff since I'm not actually using the slipper the way it's meant to be used.

    Also, it's always been the general consensus that using a metal pinion with a plastic spur is ideal. Using a metal spur is like going to your fuse box and preemptively wrapping all of your fuses in aluminum foil so that they can handle more power. But now Traxxas is using a metal spur themselves on their newest and best center diff? Maybe it's not that big of a deal? I already have a Robinson Racing hardened metal pinion so I'm good in that regard, but do I really want to eliminate having a plastic spur as a cheap failure point?
    It would be better put that the center diff isn't for most bashers. It makes the bashing alittle more complicated and most bashers just like to plug and play. When properly setup for your vehicle a center diff does allow for better control for better turning. The standard plastic center diff can work but center diffs tend to get hot especially when trying to calibrate it for your vehicle. I never tried the plastic center diff from my Platinum. I went straight for the Hot Racing metal center diff and I am still trying to calibrate it to the right oil weight.

  28. #28
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,400
    As a person that only bashes, I love center diffs and hate slippers. At least with electric vehicles. On nitro, you have 2 places for slip, the slipper and the clutch. Also, your not dealing with near the torque you have on tap with brushless. So a slipper is more easily adjusted to be effective. The slippers in my 2 nitro revos and savage x are set it and forget it. I haven't adjusted any of them or fried a spur in years.

    With my stampede 4x4 on 2S, the center diff took out almost all the wheelies, which took a bit away from the fun. But the center diff when running 3S really helped calm the wheelies down and gave me a lot better control. It still does everything a stampede should do and has give in the system so I'm not blowing diffs all the time.

    With my savage flux hp on 4S, it was a pain to drive without seriously dialing down the punch. The slipper was a hair line to adjust between slipping and melting the pad or not slipping at all and twisting a center axle in half. Putting a transmission in it with a center diff was leaps and bounds better. Now that I run 6S in it, I can't imagine trying to even try driving it without the center diff. It's still pretty wheelie happy, but manageable.

    With my ERBEv1, I only ran 4S in it and never really had issues with the slipper. I had the punch dialed down low and the slipper set to slip when it really needed to. It was still very wheelie happy, but I just had to be a lot easier on the trigger.

    I wanted to run 6S in it too so I didn't have to keep 2x2S packs around as I was running 3S in my smaller trucks and 6S in my bigger trucks. So it was the odd man out. I converted it to a 2.0 using a roller and run 6S in it. The center diff is weird in the fact that the "oil" in the diff is like putty and it doesn't really act like a "center diff" until you run a pack or so through it to heat it up. Still, with the "center diff" in it, it's very easy to drive hard/fast like I do with my outcast and now savage.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •