RC Racer

How to make a slot car faster

Hello me and my brothers pooled our summer job money to get the triple cup from scalextric and it is great we T-maxx when it is dry and any other time we want a quick race or it is rainy we just use our slot cars they are great! But now my brother for his birthday got a mrslotcar Mazda 787B And it is top of the line very good slot car and he kills us during races and i don't like that so i was wondering if any of you guys from the rc world have any advice to make a slot car go faster?I don't know much about electric stuff but i think some of you guys do? do you have any ideas? Here is the car i have a porsche 997. I have tryed all the stuff i know but i can't beet him!

http://www.scalextric.com/

RC Qualifier
    They may not make one, but I know the motor can be replaced with a better one.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

What have you done to your car so far?

RC Racer
    So far i have done nothing it is all stock but if something breaks i replace it with a old part from one of our old cars. Sorry i mean do you guys know of any ways to make it faster without buying anything because when i save up enough money ( i am broke ) to buy a new car ( the same as him ) i am going to but for now i want to be almost a quick as him if it is possible! lol

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by T -MAXX View Post
    Sorry i mean do you guys know of any ways to make it faster without buying anything
    Drive better?

Just kidding. We had a track at our local mall for a couple of years and I got into slots a little bit. I bought the scale cars I liked (ie, I wasn't that serious) but I did gut and build a Ford GT. In order of importance I'd say upgrade motor, add magnets, reduce weight, change tires.

I had mine stuck down pretty well (no, the pic's not upside down) but you replace motors pretty often with that much downforce.

Slash VXL
    Grave Digger 'Pede
    30th Digger 'Pede

RC Racer
    That car looks nice! I am not that serious either i just wan't to beat my brother nothing at the local track or anything like that. How did you decrease weight there is nothing that should not be there! lol I did drill holes in the front bumper for cooling and i can keep up with him! ( but he is on the bad lane me on the good! ) And i have no money so i won't wan't to go through to many motors. How are the wheels in that pic spinning? What else can you do to make a electric faster?

RC Champion
    Take the magnet that is located under the car off. It will go alot faster, however it will handle worse. It takes all of 5 mins to do

Rustler 007
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by T -MAXX View Post
    How are the wheels in that pic spinning?
    They're not...they're aluminum.

By weight reduction, on a typical Scalextric it's just removing the interior, although I knew a couple guys who would Dremel their chassis down.

I ran a 35,000 rpm motor, and on the track we raced, the extra magnet(s) was critical...I could carry a lot more speed through the corners although it made the breakaway lightning quick. Definitely no drifting.
    Slash VXL
    Grave Digger 'Pede
    30th Digger 'Pede

RC Qualifier
    two things: 1. bump up the voltage. 2. dewind the armature

RC Racer
    Sorry but bumping up the voltage will make us both faster so that would be unhelpfull and what do you mean by dewind the armature what is that? And also sure taking the magnet off will make you faster down the strait with what i have experienced is that with these cars you can barely corner you have to crawl through them and on the big strait you will not catch back up. It will be much slower to exelerate but reach better top speed.

RC Qualifier
    sorry i forgot i live in the past. before the slot cars got to be stupid fast, there was about 4-5 makers of motors. no standards. so we would take the motor apart and remove 3-5 windings from each poll. but i think now they have standards and such mods are not a lowed, but not sure.

RC Champion
    dont know how much this would help but there are 4 wheel drive ones ( i have a veyron i picked it up off of ebay its not scalextric)and its pretty good
    Last edited by zonda95; 06-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    sppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!

RC Racer
    I have looked at the four wheel drive ones they look cool but how much better do they perform then the 2 wheel drive? But a veyron would be sweet i love that car is it the super sport or the normal one? Any pics? Oh and good news we went to work today ( my brothers and i at our neighbers house cleaning the windows ) And we think we will have enough money to get two more ( one for me and my other brother that does not have one ) So the problem will soon be solved! Yeah

RC Champion
    Well, with your car you might try to add a second magnet to the back of it near the motor. I've got the blue and white mini from this set and all I did was add a second magnet to the back and some of the gummy silicone rear tires and those made a huge difference in how fast the car was! It would keep up with the now discontinued Scalextric Nissan Skyline R34 JGTT racer on the corners and would hang with if not out run it up to the next corner with just those mods!
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Champion
    this is the veyron http://www.autoartmodels.com/web/pro...965FCF90725EB9 although the rear axle doesent mesh now and ui mjust fix it. i havent run my slot cars in a while but from what i can remeber it was one of my better ones but i didnt modify them.
    sppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!