RC Qualifier

Buying A New Rustler In Parts

Any idea how much it would be? If someone could find all the things i need, and post it, that would be awesome. I don't exactly know what i'd need, other then a chasis, motor, and esc lol. Of course 4 tires, and arms and other stuff, but idk the other stuff. I want a range of how much it would be without the Servo, TX/RX, Motor, and ESC. That way i can see what parts of those i wanna put in.
    Rustler VXL! The Quest for 70!

RC Champion
    im gonna say it would cost double if not more than to get a new rtr rusty.
    I HATE CURBS

If someone could find all the things i need, and post it, that would be awesome.
    Are you seriously wanting someone to do all the research so you dont have to? I suggest going to the download page or your manual and look at the parts list it is complete with prices.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj1793 View Post
    im gonna say it would cost double if not more than to get a new rtr rusty.
    No, i'm almost POSITIVE it will be less. I'm gonna try to do some math, i might miss something.

Arms - 15$ all around
    Castor Blocks - 3$
    Bearing Carriers - 6$
    Chasis - 15$
    Wheels - 50$
    Trans Case - ?
    All Screws/pins/nuts/bolts - 20$.
    Bumper - 5$
    Rear Motor Protector - 7$
    Bell Cranks - 4$
    Camber/Steering Arms - 12$
    Bearings - 8$
    Washers -4$

Anything i'm missing? The total of that comes out to be... 149 if my did my math properly. We can also add another 40$ for a tx/rx. So we're at 189. Now if i get a nice combo package, like that guy who got a 2650, he said it cost about 180 or something i believe, so i'm looking at 360 so far. Hmm, not to bad. Or i could just buy a new truck, sell off the tires/motor/speed control for cheap and throw in my own system, and wheels. Hmmmm.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Are you seriously wanting someone to do all the research so you dont have to? I suggest going to the download page or your manual and look at the parts list it is complete with prices.
    I didn't intend for someone to use THIS method, as this would take too long. Just stuff of the top of people's heads with ball park estimates. As you can see in my post above i kind of did it myself. Just what's coming to my mind and what prices im throw out there though...

I dont get the point of it if you dont include everything. You think you might need shock towers, shocks, a top plate...the list goes on and on.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I dont get the point of it if you dont include everything. You think you might need shock towers, shocks, a top plate...the list goes on and on.
    I said... i might miss something. It's more useful if someone helped, rather then bagged on.. but i'm not gonna get into an argument.

I am trying to help but you seem set on taking the easy way out and seem to think you have it covered so I will leave you to it....good luck.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Also a servo and transmission and all that would be helpful. There are sites out there that buy RTR vehicles and part them out like a RC chop shop and profit about 100 bucks so I garantee you it's not cheaper piecing it together

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Heres some math... you got to $150 without the stuff dad listed. You can get a trans off e-bay, complete for about $30, shocks are say $12.... shock towers $8 or so... all this without a power system, radio, servo or body. Your at around $200.

Now, lets say you buy a brand new VXL rustler from tower hobbies. It costs $320 less $50 member discount so you just paid $270 shipped for a brand new VXL rustler. Youll get $50 for the radio, $110 for the VXL system and say $10 for the battery. That totals $170. You just got a COMPLETE Rustler VXL roller with servo, body, wheels and tires... EVERYTHING ready for your power system and radio install for $100.... whats cheaper?

Not to mention... all your prices above are ASSUMING you get free shipping. Many places on e-bay DO offer free shipping... some dont. It is absolutely cheaper to buy a complete truck and part it DOWN to where you want it than it is to start with NO truck and part it UP to where you want it.

RC Racer
    I have bought 3 rustlers in parts from some eBay vendors in the states. Prices for the parts were good but the shipping costs to the Netherlands made it not worthwhile (especially when the customs 'intercepted' some of my packages and I had to pay additional fee's).

If you only need a roller and you live in the USA then you could give it a try, otherwise just buy a new RTR...
    Rustler VXL, Slash 4x4 VXL

If you have the patience and bid on eBay it will cost less... 90% of my fleet was built that way...

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    I did list, that i knew stuff was missing. If i buy a new RTR Rustler, i'll keep the radio in it, no reason to swap it out. I was hoping, and i was right, that people would know the best approaches, or know of kits online... ok, so 100$ for a Rustler, and then the price of a power system. When i do this, this Rusty will become my speed vehicle, and my other one will become a basher. Haha.

if you get a membership discount from tower hobbies or can find a RTR one on eBay for a good price that would probably be the best bet... in order to buy everything on eBay seperately you would need to be willing to research and wait until you can find the stuff for the cheapest with free shipping or a bunch of the parts together and get combined shipping... the list for building one from scratch is longer than you think, it might be possible to get it cheaper but its defenitly going to be a lot more aggravating

lol
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    One thing to consider is whether or not you are planning to upgrade any of the parts or not. If you are planning on replacing the arms, bulkheads, shock towers, driveshafts, body, tires, etc, etc, then it might be better just to buy a chassis and build it up. I bought a VXL roller off eBay and am going from there. I have all my own electronics already, so for me it was easier.

Quote Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
    One thing to consider is whether or not you are planning to upgrade any of the parts or not. If you are planning on replacing the arms, bulkheads, shock towers, driveshafts, body, tires, etc, etc, then it might be better just to buy a chassis and build it up. I bought a VXL roller off eBay and am going from there. I have all my own electronics already, so for me it was easier.
    at this point though it defenitly wont be cheap... I think hes going for how can he build he a Rustler for the lowest price possible
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL