RC Racer

Motor and Esc options

I just bought a E-maxx 3903 and i want to upgrade it to brushless but i dont want to pay for the mamba monster but i also dont want to order a ezrun so what other options are out there?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You have already asked this question before, just in case you forgot about this thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-to-brushless

However, there are also plenty of other existing threads asking exactly the same questions if it helps:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...bo-for-my-Maxx
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...shless-systems

And the BL upgrade section in this guide has even more cheap(er) suggestions:

EMAXX 3906 UPGRADE GUIDE

bare in mind this old saying though:

Fast, reliable, cheap- pick any two...
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 06-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    Now if i got the Ezrun 120a 2700kv combo would i need to use 4s or could i get away with 3s? and what kind of gearing should i use?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    3s would be 'alright' but dont expect to gear for much more than about 30-35mph, 4s would be better for a ~10lb truck. As for gearing, about 18-20/68 should do nicely to compensate for the higher kv/smaller motor ( ~40mph ).

RC Racer
    What pitch are the gears?

Also would it be better to just get the 120a esc and use it with a tacon 2150kv motor? http://www.hobbypartz.com/ta18ofmo.html (link to the motor)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-17-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Work it out for yourself using the supplied info in my Guides, please- the BL section of the emaxx upgrade guide has just been massively updated; I've taken the liberty of grading escs and motor/ systems according to how suitable they are, so you can choose the best option for your budget and needs ( voltage wise ).

The whole point of me spending weeks writing the guides was so that people, like yourself, wouldnt have to keep asking 'what should I buy?..' type questions, since the guides equip you with expert advice and info & explain all the key elements of selecting suitable equipment and parts for any given budget or set of requirements ( bashing, speedruns, heavy truck, crawler etc etc ).

The gears are 32pitch / mod0.8 ( same thing ), as explained in the guides again- there are also links for where to buy them.

So, one last time:

Emaxx 101:
    EMAXX FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

EMAXX 3906 UPGRADE GUIDE

I suggest you take some time to read it all thoroughly, then refer back to the various sections as needed; I dont mean to sound rude, but you keep asking the same questions, just in slightly different ways, but the answers have been pointed out repeatedly already and I cant give you an answer for every possible variation of 'the best BL setup', you need to do some research and reading and work it out for yourself with the info provided in the guides...

/stick a fork in me, I'm done...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    Fast, reliable, cheap- pick any two...

Reminds me of the RC airplane moto:

Strong / Light / Cheap. Pick any two.