RC Racer
    Well.... Got my motor and esc back from traxxas today and to my suprise.... there is a new motor and maybe a new esc. The motor is a new design, maybe 10 mm longer and feels like its better made just by turning the rotor. There is no longer a temp sensor on the motor any more either. Well check out the picture below, I will try an get a run in tomorrow!!!!

Well, I ended up being able to take her out today and i have to say i am impressed. The motor only got up to 124 and the esc was around 110. I dont think to boat will go 50 mph but it does seem like a reliable boat now.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-18-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: merge
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

That's good to hear. Hopefully they revamped the ESC too because that seemed to be the main issue. Get that 540XL Aluminum Water Jacket from Kintec Racing. It covers almost the whole can compared to the stock silicone water jacket.

RC Competitor
    Awesome....I should be getting my replacement motor and ESC on Wendsday from Traxxas.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    That's good to hear. Hopefully they revamped the ESC too because that seemed to be the main issue. Get that 540XL Aluminum Water Jacket from Kintec Racing. It covers almost the whole can compared to the stock silicone water jacket.
    I have an OSE jacket (The picture was right out of the box), but I think the Kintec racing jacket would be a little small for the re-designed motor because its longer. I never had an issue with the esc, it was only when the original motor got way to hot that the esc failed. I will tell you, I have many Traxxas brushless products, and I was very impressed with the motor. To be able to run it pretty hard, for an entire 6S run and for the temps to only be 124 on the motor and 110 on the esc, I was happy. I also live in Texas and the water here is like 85-90 degrees in some smaller lakes.

What would the Castle link allow me to do??? Reprogram the esc (i.e. change timing, low voltage cut off..)
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC poster
    I just got an e-mail notification that my new motor and esc are being shipped.
    I'm interrested now after seeing the pics of the new stuff.
    Don't know if I'll put them in my boat or not, since my seaking and leopard combo are working fine.
    I'll most likely use them in something else.

RC Racer
    I ran the boat yesterday afternoon, on 6s (a little heavier batteries than the first time I ran it), and I ran the boat just as hard. My temps were 128 for the motor, 110 for the ESC, 108 for the batteries, and 91 for the stuffing tube. So far, I am still impressed with how this boat is running with the new re-design motor from Traxxas. Also, I think there is also a little room for a little bigger prop now, without getting the temps too high.

I would like to know some specs on the motor but if i had to take a guess (its a 4 pole motor that is around 1500-1700 KV).
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Qualifier
    .............no GPS???

RC Racer
    I had it in the boat and forgot to start it, so it did not record the run. I was kicking myself after the run when I realized what i did. If I had to guess, I would say 40-45 mph. I will try and get a reading this week but if not, def this weekend.
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Competitor
    Mine is on its way as well! I may have to buy another spartan hull since I already made a monster out of my current one (castle 1520 seaking 180a esc .187 flex cable 2nd set of trim tabs)...if possible? That def. looks like a different motor of some sort! I'm siked!

RC poster
    Just received my new guts from Traxxas after frying my Spartan with Lipo's...excited to run her!

My question has to do with temp sensor. Is there an infra-red sensor anyone recommends?

RC Competitor
    I was told by the boys at Traxxas Support to just disconnect it and remove. The new motor can is not compatable with the small bracket the sensor uses. Maybe the will update that too down the road.

RC Enthusiast
    My new motor and esc are scheduled for delivery today. It's been over two months since I last ran it. Can't WAIT!! Just not sure about running the 6S in it right off the bat. Don't want to be without a running boat again for two months. I think I'll make several runs on the stock batteries first, so that at least I'll get some type of enjoyment before a potential problem reoccurs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I demand / command some one to take some decent pictures of the motor- open up the front endbell and take out the rotor and get pictures of it + the inside of the motor ( good lighting + macro mode please, need good photos.. ) so I can see what's what with it. Pretty please...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tech10 View Post
    BTW I am 99% sure that is a CASTLE motor. See the endbell design
    Leopard motors have the same endbell....
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So do several others of the Castle clones..

This thread is interesting:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?p=408982

RC Racer
    ^Agreed, Castle may have consulted, but I doubt that the motor is made by them.

Why so much interest Army?

The two pole works well enough:

RC Enthusiast
    what is 2 and 4 pole what is that means i want to get different motor for my spartan but am not shure what 2 and 4 pole means and how can you tell what pole is what motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Poles means the number of magnetic poles on the rotor- 2 pole has a single north and south, 4 pole has 2 norths & 2 souths. 4 pole motors produce nearly double the torque for any given size of motor, and generally are a much more efficent design in high-load applications ( planes, helis, boats, heavy MTs etc ). 2 pole motors will spool up a little faster, but as everyone seems to have found out, they also run much hotter which is why they fail more easily ( the traxxas motor is made by feigao according to people in the know, which explains the poorer temps ).

2 pole motors are much easier to spin by hand, the shaft feels quite smooth as it spins. 4 pole motors feel much harder to spin by hand and feel very 'notchy' as the rotor aligns to the slots in the stator. There are some good threads which explain the differences in detail, but really all you need to know is that 4 pole motors are more powerful & efficient so long as you go with a good brand, though the Lehner motors ( see below ) are commonly used in large BL boats.

Brand-wise, the traxxas vxl motors, feigaos, hacker and lehner are good examples of 2 pole motors. Neu, NeuCastle, Medusa, Leopard, Hobbywing are all 4 pole motors ( leopard also make 2 pole motors but most are 4 pole ).

If you want a better motor I would suggest talking to traxxas about getting the updated version, or look at a leopard motor of a similar spec- say 36-39mm diameter ( smooth can ) by about 74-80mm long, in 1600-1800kv. You will still want to use a water cooling jacket on the motor for best results.

RC Enthusiast
    nice that thats some good lesson thanks a lot yeah i wanted to put 2200 kv castle motor i need to find cooling jacket for that motor if any one knows where i can get one let me know. Thats a lot of help on 2 and 4 poles i really got the idea now thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm- you'll like this then:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ham-castle1515

If you went with a leopard 4074 motor though ( smooth-can 2200kv available from the same site ):

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-leopard-4074L shorter version
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...eopard-40mm-XL longer version

I do love OffShoreElectrics, so much nice stuff..

EDIT: has anyone measured their new motor yet by any chance?
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 07-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.

RC Racer
    Sorry Army:

It's not going to fit without some mods.

As for the rest of the measurements, go where the info is

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was only interested in the dimensions so I could try and work out which motor it is/ based on, I didnt want to fit it anywhere myself as such.

However, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that that is a 1518 motor, so 1800kv most likely- I doubt they will be sold separately regardless so the peeps wantnig to use them in their trucks are outta luck pretty much...

RC Racer
    You may be right, I have a 1518, have to pop it apart and see how they match up. kv is based on many other factors other than motor size though, I've calculated a few of the old motors to 1800kv.

The motors are available separately, given the recent neodymium hike they may be better bang for your buck than the Castle ones.

The link to an on-line retailer has been removed. Please review Rule 11 of the Traxxas On-Line Community Rules, which prohibits the posting of links to on-line retailers.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post
    You may be right, I have a 1518, have to pop it apart and see how they match up. kv is based on many other factors other than motor size though, I've calculated a few of the old motors to 1800kv.
    Indeed it is, but in the case of castle motors they only do one winding at present, so to change the kv rating they use longer or shorter motors ( within the 15** class ). Assuming it isn't the odd-ball 1517 motor which uses different magnets then the length matches the 1518, hence 1800kv.

RC Racer
    Calculated kv is pretty close to 1800. I wouldn't call it A 1518 though, rotor specs and can diameter are pretty different.

The power may be different, but that's splitting hairs without the real manufacture's data.

Works well in the current application, so far