Angry too much torque?

hey guys my vxl rusty is geared 16/90 for heat issues and there is soo much torque that every time i even moderatly hit the throttle in grass the axle pops from the drive yolk, what should i do? thanks in advance!
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    slash axles ftw!

tra6852x
    i'm full of questions.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Once the axles pop out the first time they get weak, then it just happens more and more often. A set of rear slash 4X4 axles would be a good upgrade. Much stronger, though not indestructible. Otherwise you need to replace whatever section of axle is popping off with a new part. Probably setting your slipper a touch looser would help also.

Check the planetary gears (internal diff gears.) If they are damaged and acting like a spool, that could also be the cause.
    You should be able to check the diff action without disassembling anything. Just make sure each tire turns smoothly.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    16/90 is geared pretty high if you're trying to control heat. If things are popping apart in grass, how tight is your slipper clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    16/90 is geared pretty high if you're trying to control heat.
    The HUH? I would say that is geared pretty low not high.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Yea what Dad said, 16x90 with stock tires and a 2s pack is only about 25mph. Look on Ebay you should be able to get the 4x4 shafts fairly cheap.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Whew!!! Thought I was going crazy there for a minute............ and just as I was figuring out the lingo on 'high' 'low' gearing...... I used just the opposite terminology in my waaay back when drag racing days....... *sigh*
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones8352 View Post
    Yea what Dad said, 16x90 with stock tires and a 2s pack is only about 25mph. Look on Ebay you should be able to get the 4x4 shafts fairly cheap.
    Is there a difference between the 4x4 shafts and the 4x2 shafts? (rear)
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Racer
    yes. 4x2 shafts are the same as the stock rustlers.

RC Champion
    Thanks a bunch....... glad I didn't pull the trigger on the wrong ones
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    My bad, I was assuming since he was talking about too much torque he was running 3s not 2s. Never hear of 2s torque complaints.

RC Racer
    Yeah, 16/90 is geared at 5.63, where a stock Rustler is 4.53 (19/86) and a VXL is 3.32 (25/83). If you're only on 2S, then your overheating issues are coming from something else.

Just like in 1:1 rigs, your taller gears will provide more power at a lower speed. After you replace the shafts, shorten up your gear ratio some, loosen up the slipper a bit (I run one full turn off full-tight with 21/83 gears on 2S with no issues whatsoever with a Mamba/Traxxas 3500kV combo). If you are running in tallish grass a lot, that will bog it down some, and may contribute to the heat issues as well.

RC Champion
    One full turn, really? I run mine @ ~3/8
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    iv been running mine at 1/4th. should the sliper be sliping most of the time when at full power? would haveing it set to high or to low cause heat issues? i would think setting it loser would cause the motor to have to work harder = more heat. sorry if im intrudeing in to the TS's thread.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run at 1/8-1/4 turn out. You want it to be set so it slips when you land while on te throttle and when you hammer on the throttle. You don't want it slipping other than those times because it will just heat up and wear itself out while robbing your car of performance in the process

RC Racer
    I run it at a full turn because it is mostly in the hands of a heavy-fingered nine year old that runs through mud, grass, etc, at full tilt. =) Although, it doesn't slip much and hooks up pretty well. Never had heat issues with the slipper. But like I said, it is geared pretty tall IMO, and only on 2S. I'm sure if I tossed in a 3S pack it would spin that slipper like mad.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had to tighten mine to 1/4-1/8 cause randomly one day my car just started slipping and not moving. Confused the living bajeezus out of me as it never happened before and then all of the sudden wouldn't stop. Tore my transmission right apart trying to find something jammed or broken to cause this and nothing, even swapped a tranny from my bandit in there and the slipper clutch from my bandit and still did it, so ever since that day it's been about 1/8 out.