RC Qualifier

Alloy gear box cover

Do you think a alloy gear box cover would help cool the motor?

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...60&p_catid=109
    Old fart playing like a kid AGAIN!!

RC Champion
    a aluminium gearbox like this http://www.rcdirectonline.com/produc...FLM-20000.html will be alot better. Proven 20-30 degree drop in temp's. The aluminium gearbox connected to the motor act'sas a big heat sink.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    I agree the aluminum gearbox is the way too go! I've had good luck with the Integy boxes like this one.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Integy_A.../intt7983s.htm
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Champion
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and that's a darn good price!! I'm using one. Lowered the temps on my Velineon about 15-20*. Not the 30* some folks are getting. But, I don't have overheating issues with my motor (yet) .
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the 30F drop comes when you are pushing the top end of the heat limits of the motor.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    I think the 30F drop comes when you are pushing the top end of the heat limits of the motor.
    Yep, that's where the heat comes in the most. I should have stated that but I assume everyone knows more than I know.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

The gearbox cover does not come in contact with the motor so I seriously doubt it would do anything to help cool the motor. It is crazy Integy prices the aluminum cover the same they do the aluminum gear box.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I admit it looks good but I think the only reason it exists is for it to look good on an aluminium tranny
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    The gearbox cover does not come in contact with the motor so I seriously doubt it would do anything to help cool the motor. It is crazy Integy prices the aluminum cover the same they do the aluminum gear box.
    I imagine if you had both the cover and the alloy tranny you'd get some additional cooling as there'd be some contact then and you'd get some heat transfer.
    Old fart playing like a kid AGAIN!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakine2448 View Post
    I imagine if you had both the cover and the alloy tranny you'd get some additional cooling as there'd be some contact then and you'd get some heat transfer.
    True, but I would think it would be minimal. The gearbox is the way to go, IMO.

RC Racer
    well i just orderd a fan with a Hsink integy one stock tranny modded though.

RC Champion
    And silly me doesn't pay close enough attention to the verbiage being used. I'm reading "gear cover" and thinking "tranny housing". And sad part is, this will NOT be the last time I this type error ! ! !
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones8352 View Post
    I agree the aluminum gearbox is the way too go! I've had good luck with the Integy boxes like this one.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Integy_A.../intt7983s.htm
    That is very cheap, almost too good to be true...
    Rustler VXL, Slash 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    What about you guys running SCT combo? Castle recommends a vehicle 6 pounds and lighter. Also do any racers use this?

RC Qualifier
    I have aluminum gear case and rear shock tower and I do notice the heat will also transfer to the shock tower so I think the gear cover might help it a tad also. Not a whole lot but probably a little.
    Rustler CC3800 || Stampede VXL

I've always been put off getting an aluminum gear case due to addign more weight to the rear of an already tail heavy car so opted for a STRC aluminum motor plate heat sink instead which also helps prevent the motor flexing.

Can anyone give me an idea of the additonal weight of an ally gear case over an stock plastic one?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mine's on order, I can let you know next thursday haha. I'm sure it's not too much.

RC Qualifier
    I have the Golden Horizons aluminum tranny case. I don't know how much, but I do know that it added a good bit of weight to my truck. I have never weighed it, but my wife even noticed the extra weight.
    Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

It has been years since I got my FLM case and weighed it compared to stock so memory may be playing with the numbers but the FLM case is just shy of being twice the weight. I think it was something like 128 grams for the FLM case and 68 grams for stock plastic. I think this is true for most plastic vs aluminum parts, the aluminum is usually just shy of twice the weight if the design of the part is similar.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Worth the trade off though? Weight for no heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Worth the trade off though? Weight for no heat?
    Matter of opinion I guess, IMO definitely and not only because of temp benefits but other benefits the aluminum tranny can offer depending on which brand you buy. It is no secret I am a big fan of the FLM case which will let you install bigger motors, use Traxxas wheelie bar, adds your choice of 1 or 4 of rear toe in, and I believe is the only aluminum case that allows you to adjust anti squat.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power