Thread: 2028 castle

RC poster

2028 castle

is anyone running the new castle 2028 5th scale motor. if so is it better than the stock 2200 kv that comes in the new brushless e revo. is it worth putting this in? is it more top end or more lower torque or both.

RC Champion
    I seriously doubt you can even make that fit. Also, this is so low in kv, you'd have to run it on 8-10S to get up to speed.
    That thing is a full inch longer, half an inch more in diameter, and weighs three times as much as the stock motor.
    You'd likely end up losing anything you might gain due to the weight alone.

Size comparison:

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^That, essentially.

It is always wise to check the specification of a motor ( or esc ) before even thinking about asking if it will work- the 2028 motor is strictly for 1/5 vehicles due to it's massive size and very low kv rating.

If you want a 'better' motor for your erevo, look into the Neucastle 1518 1800kv motor ( which wont fit without modding the rear shock mounts ) , or perhaps one of the Leopard/ Tacon motors in a similar kv rating & size. Truthfully though, the stock 2200kv motor is perfect for 90% of people who will use the truck for general bashing, racing or the occasional speed run; if you haven't taken the time to read my guides, now is the time:

Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

And direct from CastleCreations ( the esc manufacturers ):
    MMM FAQ

Driver's ED Manual

LED warning light meanings

And now you know all about 1/8 MT BL systems and their correct uses & applications
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    That pic is so awesome.... Yea I put a 1717 in my erbe and it was a tight fit... Really Tight....
    2K11 Nitro Monster Truck Champ Tmaxx 3.3

I am still waiting cash in hand for my 1/5 Revo.
    With 1/5 diffs & a trans that can handle that ^ beast.
    It also needs batt compartment's that can hold a 8000 4S.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...3620-1-5-scale
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Does anyone know if a Saturn V rocket motor will fit without modification?

Truthfully though, the stock 2200kv motor is perfect for 90% of people who will use the truck for general bashing, racing or the occasional speed run;
    QFT x 1000. With good batteries , and the least bit amount of know how, 50mph is easily achievable off road, with no temp issues. This was the go to motor for this size vehicle, before it was available in a RTR. It seems that once they put it in a RTR people started thinking they needed more.

If you are running the 2200 with good batteries, and are having temp issues, before it's going fast enough for you, then think about upgrading the motor. But I'm betting it will either be fast enough, or you will need to upgrade so many other things to run the extra power, that getting the motor will be the easy part.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Racer
    ^^ lol that was the best

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Yes, I believe it does. You need to tweak the suspension a little though...

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

Nice HEHE What run time are you getting?
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    lulz, great pic Brian.

RC Racer
    Have you been able to get a Top speed rating yet?

RC Qualifier
    The Saturn V rocket seems like a pretty solid set up option in an erbe, I'm just a little concerned about the cost/availability of fuel. Does anyone know of a good cheap place to purchase fuel? Also, I'm thinking a nice titanium mount should work (I'm sure I can fab something up) but what other good mount material options do you think will work? Oh and I'm also stuck on the truck melting issue... I'm at a loss there, help please!
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC poster
    funny . haha. i havent seen a side by side picture till now . looks like it wont fit. i get the point . rotf***** .

RC Qualifier
    If you're dead set on getting a bigger motor then there's the previously mentioned 1717 and 1518 to choose from although they're a bit hard to find at a descent price atm since Castle aren't producing them anymore. The president of Castle has mentioned on another forum that they'll be back in their product range but not exactly when.

There are other motors of lower quality to choose from with similar ratings as the 1717 and 1518. Off the top of my head these brands are available (but I'm sure there are others): Medusa, Hobbywing, Tacon and Leopard.
    E-Revo Xerun 150A/Leopard 4282//MBX6-Te MMM/CC1518

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu jim View Post
    funny . haha. i havent seen a side by side picture till now . looks like it wont fit. i get the point . rotf***** .
    Calm down lad, we're just having a laugh...

Point is though you dont need a picture, all you need to do is compare the listed dimensions and kv rating of the 2028 motor ( or any motor for that matter ) against the standard 1515 2200kv motor- you'd quickly see how massive it is. Not to mention the castle website does clearly state it's intended for 1/5 scale conversions. Finally, consider the rpms of the setup:

2200kv x 16.8v ( 4s lipo ) = 36,960
    2200kv x 25.2v ( 6s lipo ) = 55,440

vs

780kv x 25.2v ( 6s lipo ) = 19,656

The ideal rpm range for most typical BL motors is ~30-40,000rpms, however the 1/5 motor has a max rpm limit of 30,000rpms because it is designed to replace a ~25cc gas engine and is designed to generate lots of torque and be geared quite high. 1/8 motors by comparison (can ) spin much faster ( 60,000rpm limit ) as they are designed to replace a ~3.3cc nitro engine which generates somewhat less torque ( higher rpms & lower gearing ).

Like I said before- exercise common sense and check the dimensions and kv rating- little applied mathematics and logic goes a long way ( and read my guides for sure )...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
    The Saturn Parts V rocket seems like a pretty solid set up option in an erbe, I'm just a little concerned about the cost/availability of fuel. Does anyone know of a good cheap place to purchase fuel? Also, I'm thinking a nice titanium mount should work (I'm sure I can fab something up) but what other good mount material options do you think will work? Oh and I'm also stuck on the truck melting issue... I'm at a loss there, help please!
    I agree. I'm hoping they get the Saturn V. That would be something worth looking out for..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post

Exactly what I'm thinking, the 2200kV is more than enough for the E Revo ...

Other than trying to beat the speed record speed run ( whatever it is ) I can't imagine why a bigger motor would be needed ... when you see the performance of that motor when it runs on 6S it's even too much for the truck...