RC Racer

VXL-3s on 1/16th KB Rally????

Has anyone done this? Im looking to run a little bigger tire and wheel combo and dont want to get higher heat temps are damage the esc. Will the larger ESC help my cause or will it be of no use. Thanks for any help. Really appreciated.
    3S 5000mAh LiPo = Overly Energetic Acrobatics

RC Champion
    Like this?

https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Racer
    ^^^^ very cool but not exactly what I meant. I know I could change out everything, it looks like you have installed an entire 3s system. Im looking to find info about just upgrading my ESC to use with my stock 1/16 motor. Any input?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it is the same just install just the esc or get a castle esc.

Last edited by RC-Fan; 06-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Go with the sidewinder ESC... it will solve your ESC temp issues (which I had also) and its MUCH smaller than the VXL 3S ESC... Its also fully programmable which is nice on these smaller cars. Heres 2 ways I mounted mine...

Made my own mount plate that fit in where the stock 3M ESC fit so it was removeable:

Then I mounted the ESC in the left battery compartment and mounted a fan over top... it works good... but im going back to the old setup... its just easier to work with:

RC Racer
    ^^^^ that looks great and I will be doing this only with a FUSE ESC, I have one already. So I got in my new Warrantied ESC today and it ran great for a little while. Im running 2.2 wheels and HPI Off Road Tires, so I thought I should re do the gearing more like a Mini Revo since it runs bigger tires and wheels then my Rally. So Im running the stock pinion which I believe is a 28t and a larger 55t spur gear. This is directly what Traxxas advised instead of the speed pinion. Well anyways it ran geat for about 5 minutes of light running just trying to see how it was doing. Well then all of a sudden same thing as last time, ESC stuttered and then shut off. Battery was fine but it hit thermal cut off. Went inside, unplugged it, checked heat of motor and esc. 152 motor and 163 ESC. After cool down I plugged back in and POOF! Smoke from the ESC and it was fried. Is this a normal thing with the ESC's or am I just this unlucky? Oh well running the FUSE ESC right now and even afte a few speed runs to check it, temps are at 105 and 108, much better.

RC Champion
    VERY common for the VXL-3m, I smoked mine last week and am upgrading to a SV2 or something similar.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Racer
    ^^^^ are people having this type of problems with the VXL-3s ESC? or am I going to be ok with installing a 3s onto the car. Thanks for the help. Right now I have a Fuze Brushless ESC on there and love the fact it doesnt get hot at all, running temps of just 110 degrees.

RC Champion
    I took my VXL-3s off my Digger VXL (I had all the links/carriers/blocks/wheelie bar wheels powdercoated) and am using that for the time being, I havent thought up an elaborate way to mount it but I had not had the same problems, nor even close to the beat i experienced with the M ESC. I jus tuck it under the body and GO! lol I mostly just drift mine in the parking lots and garages and what have you, so Im not running in dirt, but if you plan on gearing it out like you stated Im sure you'll be just fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The 3S ESC has its own set of issues from time to time. It does seem the 3M ESC has lost some of its reputation for durability recently though... there have been an increasing number of reports of them frying. I think overall, cooling is the biggest issue and traxxas needs to release a fan for it... that would very likely solve the majority of the problems.

If you already have a fuse ESC thats working in your rally... dont bother with the 3S ESC... just keep using the Fuse one, its smaller and will do the job just fine... thats my opinion anyway, the 3S ESC is just HUGE for a rally... or any 1/16

RC Racer
    ^^^^^ thanks for the help and advice. Now Im just looking for a quick and easy way to make the ESC waterproof. Since thats part of the fun with this little car. Any help or advice on that note.... anyone can chime in on this one , lol. Thanks

RC Champion
    Quick and easy=Balloon lol. And I totally agree pave, I never had problems with my 3m in the MERV or Summit. But on the Rally it jus doesnt like my lipos or something

Had to share, just did this tonight. my buddy bought the brushed rally I got from pave with the camaro body, blew the xl 2.5 with a 2s so im selling him my VXL out of my Digger and selling the chassis as a roller, thinking of a rustler. Anyway, question for Pave, or anyone else running BB, what gearing do u use or would recommend? This thing doesnt have the speed of the little VXL my mustang has, and im pretty sure it needs some gearing adjustments. i jus blow by him on open straights.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-29-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: merge