Thread: Up in smoke.

RC Qualifier

Up in smoke.

Just got my lipos and charger today. Charger works great . Thunder A6.
    I was reprograming my Castle ESC to lipo and when I was through I hit the throttle and the ESC went up in smoke.
    I've no idea why.Maybe I punched a wrong YES or NO!
    First day with Lipos didn't start out to good.
    Maybe if Dad hadn't deleted my thread [Lipo Low voltage settings] I might of found out how to set the LVC without blowing up the ESC.
    Last edited by Dakine2448; 06-22-2011 at 01:44 AM.
    Old fart playing like a kid AGAIN!!

RC Qualifier
    That sounds like it sucked big time! ESP* if your in hawaii!

RC Champion
    I cannot see how you hold Dad in anyway responsible for your own ignorance

The requiredprogramming information is freely available from the Castle website or the instruction manual you purchased with the ESC. Maybe you should have taken some responsibility for your equipment rather than apparently guessing?

RC Champion
    Besides, the LVC setting has nothing at all to do with blowing up the ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you solder your battery leads the correct way on your lipo? As in, did you make sure when you plug it in red ends up plugging in to red and black to black?

RC Champion
    Call castle and see what they will do. It might be something covered by warranty or not

I was really looking forward to your next vid with the lipo. Hope everything gets worked out for you.

RC Champion
    first you don't need to set the LVC with the castle, they come set to a safe volt cutoff. I would just call castle to see if they can help you out. Otherwise, look's like your buying another one. You do know that all CC esc come in a default mode which is a lipo ready mode. You can solder the connector of your choice on the esc, install into the truck, plug in a lipo 2s or 3s only and go bash. Sound's like it may be defective or a problem on your install. Good luck.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    I was reprogramming the sidewinder I've been using with NiMH's. I'd disabled the LVC for NiMH's. Motor won't work with LVC on with NioMH.
    I called Castle today and they are sending me a new replacement. They said it was a malfunction and shouldn't have happened.
    I'm already back in business with the old ESC that was clogging a lot. It doesn't clog with Lipos.
    Videos coming soon.
    Last edited by Dakine2448; 06-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.

RC Racer
    Cog, Cogging. You probably have bigger problems if your ESC is clogged. Glad to hear you got it running again!
    E-MAXX 3905 + Villain IV + Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    Call castle and see what they will do. It might be something covered by warranty or not

I was really looking forward to your next vid with the lipo. Hope everything gets worked out for you.
    Castle is unreal. This is the second one they are sending me. They will mail it with a prepaid envelope for me to send the burnt one back in!
    Warrenty is good for 1 year!

RC Champion
    Glad to hear about Castle warranty. I haven't read much either way about their customer service, but, really happy it is alive and well.

And how smart of you to replace your ESC with your old one.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Champion
    if your using the xl-5 esc remember they are only rated at 2s lipo. . Although I know some peeps who have run 3s through them and the only thing that fried was the Titan motor :P

have fun. And LOVE hearing about the warranty.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    ... they come set to a safe volt cutoff.
    Mine came at 3.0v/cell. NOT SAFE IN MY EYES...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    When my 1st ESC went belly up I immediately bought a replacement without calling Castle thinking they wouldn't do anything My daughter said call them and low and behold they took care of me BIGTIME.
    The replacement is the one that cogged on me on NiMH's. Lots of people said the reason it was cogging was the ESC didn't work good on NiMH's and needed Lipos. Well either they were correct or when I recalibrated the old one it corrected the cogging and that's what I'm running now.

RC Racer
    Are you using Castle Link or trying to do it manually?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
    Are you using Castle Link or trying to do it manually?
    I'm doing it manually.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Did you solder your battery leads the correct way on your lipo? As in, did you make sure when you plug it in red ends up plugging in to red and black to black?
    Come on Cappy! I may be braindead but NOT completely!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Mine came at 3.0v/cell. NOT SAFE IN MY EYES...
    The SPC batteries I just received yesterday specifies the absolute minumum setting 3.2 but better to stay above 3.4. Castles Auto Lipo setting is at 3.2.
    Their other choices are none, 5,6,9 and 12 for the pack. The way I figure they don't have a really safe functional setting. 6 for 2s would be 3 each and 9 would be 4.5 and barely run.

RC Qualifier
    With castle link you can set 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, or 3.5 ect.. IIRC

RC Champion
    Yeah you need to get the Link system that you can throw into your computer. . Set it once and be done with it.

Then you can play with Punch control and all that jazz

RC Qualifier
    Looks like I'll get Castle Link. Says $24.95 for the kit.
    Thanks guys.

RC Champion
    Don't get the castle link, get the field programmer card. It acts as a castle link, but you can also program several things right on the card, without the need of a pc. it's only a few bucks more.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With the amount of times you'll actually use it and the added ease of use on the computer I would go with the castle link over the field programmer.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    With the amount of times you'll actually use it and the added ease of use on the computer I would go with the castle link over the field programmer.
    x2 I have both, and use the link on the PC 99% of the time. You'll love it, you can change every parameter on the ESC. That software is one of the main reasons I stick with Castle.

Yeah if you are using a Castle ESC I view Castle link as a must have. It is the reason I decided to go with Castle when I converted my XL-5 Rusty to brushless. Having a Castle ESC and not having Castle Link is kind of like taking a shower wearing a rain coat ,,,you just dont get the full effect.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I'm getting a Castle Mamba Max Pro esc and not being familiar with castle products, I'm not sure if I should get the Field card or just the USB link to use my PC. It appears that the Field card is all I need for what I plan to adjust. Any advice from you guys who have either? Thanks.
    Philippians 4:13 HCSB

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post
    I'm getting a Castle Mamba Max Pro esc and not being familiar with castle products, I'm not sure if I should get the Field card or just the USB link to use my PC. It appears that the Field card is all I need for what I plan to adjust. Any advice from you guys who have either? Thanks.
    The Field card also acts as a Castle Link and allows you to connect the ESC to the computer and use the software just like the USB Castle Link. It also does the majority of the settings in the field without use of the computer. It wont do things like throttle and brake curves in the field but most if not all the basic settings.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I guess I'll go with the card since I will be able to use it as a link to the PC as well.
    Philippians 4:13 HCSB

RC Champion
    Throttle curves FTW ! ! Best adjustment after Punch Control. :P