RC Enthusiast

Rustler in sand advice please !

I will be bringing my vxl rusty on my beach vacation next week. I was curious what steps I should take to protect my car...I plugged the hole on the gear case but what other steps should I take to prepare and protect my rustler for the beach. I open to all suggestions and advice.

Thank you !

RC Competitor

ps

i would spray the whole car down with wd40, buy some paddles, and some sand front tires, an esc cooler, cuz the sand makes it get hot, and let it cool down, and sorta clean it out after every run hopes this helps

rustler vxl/ 13 years old

ps- the WD40 repels dirt and sand in case u didnt no

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blakemaverick4@aol.com View Post
    i would spray the whole car down with wd40, buy some paddles, and some sand front tires, an esc cooler, cuz the sand makes it get hot, and let it cool down, and sorta clean it out after every run hopes this helps

rustler vxl/ 13 years old

ps- the WD40 repels dirt and sand in case u didnt no

WD-40 attracts dirt. But yea get some sand paws from proline.

Gear it down so you dont kill your motor.

RC Enthusiast
    What do you recommend for gearing ? I have a temp gun so Ill keep an eye on the esc/motor. BTW Just got some sand paws, they look sweet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantownhero View Post
    What do you recommend for gearing ? I have a temp gun so Ill keep an eye on the esc/motor. BTW Just got some sand paws, they look sweet.
    86 spur and the smallest pinion you got. If your temps are ok you can work your way up with pinions.

Ive gottem to mounted on some pro-line beadlocks.

RC Qualifier
    Do NOT use WD. The dust and sand will stick to it. Silicon spray is better. When thru. Blow it off good and wash everything non electrical with freshwater.
    Stay out of wet sand.
    Old fart playing like a kid AGAIN!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    WD-40 definitely attracts dirt I would certainly not use it. Sand paws are a must for the beach.

RC Qualifier
    i would actually upgrade to 32 pitch gears for sand. I even had issues with the RPM cover.
    If you have a chance to grab a can of air, i would to blow out the ESC and motor when you are done for the night.
    You may have to pull your rear axles out to clean the sand out of the sliding part. I find mine binds after a run in the sand.
    Other than NOT spraying with wd40, run it!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    There is a product called ac-50. Spray it on, and it keeps dirt from sticking. I have not used it, but every review I see has said it works wonders for dirt and moisture.
    Muck gives good advice. You will get sand under that gear cover no matter what you do. Better to get a 32 pitch jato spur and emaxx pinion, and run with out the cover. I have run the 32p in sand without the cover for a while with no problems on the 2wd trucks.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Stay away from the salt water ans wet sand, because the salt will cause the the metal to curode and rust. Only run on the dry sand.
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    One thing you will find with the Sand Paws is the lug depth is pretty severe. If you are running on nice sugary sand, it won't be much of an issue at all. If you are running on wet sand, or gravelly sand, they may be a bit much. Panther makes a nice 2.2 paddle tire too, not staggered, a lot of guys like them on their FOFF rigs. (I've never run the Panthers, but have had the Sand Paws before). With the Paws, you'll definitely want to gear down. Like said above, if you can run the 32p gears, I'd do it. Every time I run a day in the sand with 48p gears, it costs me a spur. Heck, even with my Slash 4x4s last year, I'd go thru a 32p spur a day, but being plastic I'd expect it considering the design (collects a lot of sand). As long as you watch your temps, you'll be fine. If you plan on running 3s, I'd pack an extra pair of shafts, too.

I never bring any of my vehicles in the sand (anymore)... I ran my 4x4 Slash on the beach a few weeks ago and what a mess... the Slash is already very tempermental when it comes to getting dirt and pebbles in the drive shaft area, getting sand all over everything didnt help... defenitly put some tape across that gear box cover because getting sand in the spur and pinion teeth will cause the car to make undesireable noises, lose power or lock up all together... driving on the beach is sometimes fun but the clean up and the potential for messing somthing up is not worth it to me
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    get pro line sand tires
    (You can always go faster)