RC Enthusiast

Cool Motor And Esc max temps

I just bought a temperature sensor today and i was wondering what is the temperature on the motor and the esc that i should be running and the temperature that i should not be running?
    Also do i really need to worry about the ESC Temp?
    When i run these Lipo's
    2cell 5400mah =
    or
    3cell 5000mah =
    Thanks
    Last edited by AirWick; 07-01-2011 at 11:02 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I was informed by Traxxas that nothing more than 160-170 with the motor and IDK on the esc. From my experience the fan on the esc works well to keep it cool. I have never found mine hot to the touch. I just got my temp gun and am waiting to get my motor back any day and start doing this the right way. Use gearing to keep your temps down. I do not know about the 2s but with the 3s you want to keep a close eye on temps until you get your gearing set up for the conditions you are running in most. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    You can run normally until your motor reaches about 180*. If it reaches that, it's time to rest. This rule of thumb gives you about a 20* cushion before permanent damage begins to occur (~200*)

And don't worry too much about the speed control. My VXL goes into overheat mode just a touch over 140*, which is about 50* below what it could actually run
    Last edited by zball94; 07-02-2011 at 01:21 AM.

RC Qualifier
    hmmmm interesting info guys. the last time at went to the track i had my vxl motor up to 204! I was running a dynamite 8000mah 2s lipo pretty much non stop till it hit LVC. What would be the best gearing on the vxl motor and that battery?

RC Champion
    Start with stock gearing and increase the size of the pinion if temps are ok

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    stock gearing is 18/54 right?

RC Racer
    13/54 i believe. it also comes with a 18

RC Qualifier
    So I'm OK not going more than 98?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
    So I'm OK not going more than 98?
    mph? from what somebody said earlier, should be around 55-60mph.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletcutter View Post
    mph? from what somebody said earlier, should be around 55-60mph.
    no, I mean temp wise
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Everyone has their own ideas on safe temps

When I bash hard I want the motor to be no higher than 160 at the end of a full pack

I run a MMP or ********* 8 ESC and the fans set to come on at 150 are rarely on

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC poster
    the other day I was doin some drag races with a 3s 5000mah lipo and after 20mins of racing the motor got so hot i couldn't even touch it, I was running stock gearing.. which would be a good gear for that setup to keep the temp down..??

RC Enthusiast
    One would certainly think that wouldn't one. No, stock gearing is not ok with the 3's. If you run them with the 13/54 you will have heat issues to monitor, especially if you run in any grass or have a lot of wheel spin. I am waiting to get my motor back from Traxxas as we speak to do my temp/gearing testing. It has been gone 3 weeks. I am looking into the Novac or the Mamba, this is frustrating to say the least. Try 12/54. IMO, running the 3's is a waste of money. If you run them, you have to take gear away from them and you lose top speed anyway, what is the point of that much juice in the first place then? When I get my motor back, I may purchase two 2's to avoid heat problems. I have two Venom 5000mah 3's and I am thinking of selling them. In the long run I think it will avoid a lot of problems for me till I am more experienced and have more spare parts like motors and esc's! The 3's, for what ever reason, (heavy truck or just a lot of power) are not a good Idea for stock trim Slash 4x4. It will get expensive! (Rear Axles, A-arms, Motor, ESC, Bearings, etc....) The 2's will keep you closer to a bullet proof setup from what I have learned so far. My $0.02.