Thread: Sand

RC Competitor

Sand

What do you guys do to protect your trucks from sand? Im going to the sand dunes and wanted to take my truck, and also should i just get 2 paddles or 4? and what ones do you suggest?

RC Champion
    depends, i like 4 paddles. make sure to have a good air filter, like the stock 2-stage filter wtih an outerwears cover on it. And your going to the dunes in the middle of the summer? you will get heatstroke within a few hours. ive been going to the dunes all my life and have learned that the hard way. so we go during the winter. i saw you posted this in the slayer forum, do you have a slayer or revo? and there was really no need for a 2nd post
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

Like Toxic Merv said, just a heavy duty air filter (bring extras) nice and oiled. Shouldn't be a problem. I too would worry about the temperatures though... It's hot enough during the riding season.
    Learn by doing

RC Qualifier
    bring a can of air so you can blow it out if needed. drink lots of water, I had a heat stroke last summer and am still messed up. be careful
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Champion
    my uncle and i have both ruined 3.3 engines at the dunes, they don't handle it very well.

RC Champion
    For sand I prefer to use a Motor Saver filter with the outside cover but a good two stage like the Traxas can do the job.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

RC Competitor
    I have Both a Revo and slayer pro, i dont plan on running it more then like 1 tank of fuel per session.

Thinking Mohawk + Sling Shot setup
    Last edited by DJ JIGGLER; 07-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    if you dont have an outwear airfilter cover then I hear a pair of womans tights doubled up a few times then put over the filter will do the job nicely...... your basically trying to stop any sand getting through that filter and as we all know sand gets everywhere..... also richen it slightly to avoid overheating. wish I had dunes to play in....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RevoDeano View Post
    . wish I had dunes to play in....
    I wish too.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

RC Competitor
    Watch out for sand in the.. well, everything. I've run it with 4 paddles. Be sure to use the body. Make sure all your boots and seals are intact. Try to keep sand out of the radio boxes.

Do whatever it takes to prevent the engine from sucking sand - it will kill a nitro fast. Use both filters (oiled) and Outerwears or something similar. They are cheap at this scale - buy one. Use a tacky grease on the ends of the filter elements where they "seal" against the plastic. That will provide a sticky barrier to the sand and keep it from doing an end run around the element. Make sure your air horn (between filter and carb) is firmly seated. Ziptie it if there's room. Make sure your carb is sealed to the engine properly. If it isn't you probably have problems tuning it, but it's important. Make sure your exhaust manifold and pipe are properly sealed to each other and the engine and that the pipe is well supported. If sand gets in the exhaust it can be sucked into the engine. When you flip it over, try to swing the stinger down and let the sand fall out first before righting it all the way.

I was on the dunes on 7/5 and I pulled out the Revo. She was doing great until she went runaway. Great big 100yd circle at full tilt. She still has the two speed and a .26Max JL Red Dot. We ate a bunch of sand before I managed to dive on it. It was fun. I had another RC so I garaged it in the van. I need to see what was wrong still.

Go have a good time.
    Last edited by LowFlier; 07-11-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar is more important than perfect the first time.

RC Competitor
    Oh, and if you have a center diff (FOC) you need all four paddles really. Otherwise the non-paddle pair spins more and gets all the revs. The paddle pair will be gutless and so will the truck. If you are still using a stock tranny setup with no center diff you can just do two paddles and two anacondas.

RC Competitor
    I was thinking Mohawks in front, and paddles in back, don't want the front ones kicking in sand,and its stalk tranny

RC Competitor
    That'll work.

RC Champion
    mohawks arent for revo

RC Qualifier
    I run 4 paddles (Losi) in the dunes and it pulls wheelies up the large dunes. Best thing (if you have a quad) would be to flatten out the sand where you are going to run with a wieghted piece of chainlink towed behind.. I run Pismo on the central Cali side so the sand is pretty beat up with ruts. Heat Hmmmmm you guys must be in the desert.......75-85 over here......lol

I have never done anything special but the sand will tear you up quick!! Cleans your car nice to. My friend lost his filter and he was done. Common sense goes a long way.. Sand in **** out......LOL
    This is getting expensive!!!!!!

Had anyone here tried 4 paddles while running a center diff? I know 2wd with paddles is a blast. And HazzMatt makes a good point (despite my jealously of him living closer to Pismo than me!), find some smoooooth sand! The more untouched the better~ which isn't a problem in Glamis .

Zip-tye your airfilter to your carb as well.
    Learn by doing

RC Competitor
    Coastal dunes here (Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area) so it's usually in the 60s or 70s. And breezy. It was beautiful on the 5th. Not many ruts if any depending on where you go. You sometimes find puddles in the sand though if it has been raining. The sand is coarse and heavy. I use a 3 stage filter plus Outerwears on my 1/5 scale intake.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLeader7 View Post
    Had anyone here tried 4 paddles while running a center diff? I know 2wd with paddles is a blast. And HazzMatt makes a good point (despite my jealously of him living closer to Pismo than me!), find some smoooooth sand! The more untouched the better~ which isn't a problem in Glamis .

Zip-tye your airfilter to your carb as well.
    i just go out into glamis and its so smooth because of the wind that blows it smooth. Just hook my rc to my camelpack and ride my dirtbike out to a huge bowl or jumps, do some jumps on the dirtbike, then some on the rc at pismo its not as smooth because its smaller and theres water right there basically

RC poster
    What time of year do you guys head to Pismo? I go fathers day week every year, it was cooler (high of 70 degrees) and overcast/foggy the whole time,and I couldnt get my truck tuned correctly. I didnt know if it was cuz all the moisture in the air or what. It would fire right up, but would always bog out, no matter what adjustments I made. You guys ever had a problem with it?