RC Racer

Cooling Mod, 3" CPU Fan 33 CFM

Well like the title says I did a mod to my Slash 4x4 Platinum for cooling purposes. Actually didnt really have any heat issues since running a HobbyWing 2100KV Motor and 120amp ESC (ESC 1.5" Fan) Motor has a C.C. Heatsink fan as well. This was only done because I had the parts and I was bored. Thought I would see how it worked. Came out better then I thought and I am off to HomeDepot later for some wire mesh to protect against debris. Thanks for looking.

wish I knew how to put the youtube video directly into the post. If anyone else can do it I would appreciate it. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/6zt3mMoG6Do
    3S 5000mAh LiPo = Overly Energetic Acrobatics

RC Racer
    oh well never mind I cant get it to load on the screen..... any help please....

RC Champion
    Check this link out for a great how to!
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105800
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Racer
    @Dknuckles thanks for the link. Apparently I was putting a space in the line somewhere and didnt realize it. I was trying to do it from what jang posted but I couldnt get it to work. Appreciate the help.

so hopefully Im doing it right this time but we shall see since there isnt a preview....

RC Racer
    I would think u would have it suck hot air out....up that high.

RC Racer
    @mullet.... honestly thats how I had it first and it may go back to that way. But im not running it yet until I get mesh screen over the blades. Already lost two fans because of woodchips. Seems like I could put a small one in the front window and reverse the big one in the rear and have a real nice current going across the motor and ESC. May be overkill but here in Florida the darn pavement is over 100 degrees already. So I guess any little bit helps. Im not racing it right now just a lot of messing around and mild bashing so the extra weight isnt bothering me. Just trying to keep it balanced.

RC Racer
    Know how u feel....im in georiga. My vxl couldnt handle it. But i think if u put the one in the back blowong out, it should do fine keepong it cooler under the cover.

RC Qualifier
    I did something similar by bolting the fan to the side of the chassis. First I had to shave down the cross bracing:

Then, instead of using the vehicle’s battery, I installed a rechargeable 9 volt to the front shock tower:

This is the first fan I tried. I’ve since put in one that isn’t as deep:

It blows right on the motor & ESC which have never gotten above 105.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Racer
    Good idea, Im just looking for a little cleaner install. Didnt want to just drop it on to the chasis. Im going to use your idea with the battery though. Most likely install it near the rear where the fan is. Im also probably going to be reversing the fan so it pulls hot air out from under the body. I already have an ESC fan and a Motor heatsink fan. So there will be more modding today. :-)

RC Racer

Updated video

Well I updated the body fan as well as the fan on the ESC. The 1.5" fan on the ESC ended up with a couple broken fins so I replaced it with a 2" fan. The fan on the body is a 3" and they both now have Screen mesh protectant over them. Should help on lite debris and small objects hitting the fins. The vehicle gets great airflow inside the body, I reversed the rear deck body fan to pull air out and cut out a large spot in the front windshield to get direct air flow through the interior. So now the ESC has a 2" fan the motor has a Heatsink fan and the rear deck has a 3" fan pulling hot air out. Should keep things here in Florida cool, I hope, :-)

Here are some Updates..... Temps Outside after 15 seconds and a Video after Running for about 10 minutes of full throttle speed runs, on off throttle full braking and relative normalbashing. going through the grass in the front yards and such. I went directly inside to check temps because as you could see it was hot out and I was already starting to sweat. Sorry

Last edited by AsILayDying; 07-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah and if anyone has any questions regarding any of the mods or such just let me know. Reply here or send me a PM. I would be glad to share what I have been doing. Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    How funny is this just last night I took a some pictures of my truck with the computer fan MOD. But what I did was I went to lowes to buy a 2ft screw rod so I can cut the rod to the hieghts that I need I measured the height so that the 80mm computer fan would clear the Heatsink on the motor. I only needed three rods cause the esc was In the way of the fourth rod stand. Then I got some lock washers and some nuts to fit the threading on my screw rods. I also got a small lipo to power the fan just had to soder terminals to connect to the lipo battery. I run a 3s in my slash 4x4 and I bash pretty hard and the temperature on the motor never goes pass 130. I'm so happy with this mod I'm at work now but when I get home ill up load some pics for you too see the work that I did.

RC Racer
    @Airwick, I was going to do it the same way you just described but I figured Hey why not make it look like a real working SCT with a big monster fan in the rear. But anyways yeah post up those pics, cant wait to see another option to a better cooling fan.

RC Enthusiast
    asilaydying im tring to learn how to post some pics i didnt forget. lol
    Last edited by AirWick; 07-17-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: tring to upload or link pictures
    Race it Hard, Bash it HARDER

RC Racer
    HA HA, no problem man. Just eager to see how you set up your rig. If you are still having problems with posting pics PM me and Ill help you get them setup.

RC Racer
    This is a great MOD. I'm in TEXAS, and I understand the heat issues. I'd like to try this. Can you post detailed pics of how you have the electrical setup and running for the fans?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    Oh yeah and if anyone has any questions regarding any of the mods or such just let me know. Reply here or send me a PM. I would be glad to share what I have been doing. Thanks

RC Racer
    @segen , I will PM you later with some pics of the detailed install. Thanks for the comment. It has worked great here in Orlando so far with outside street temps reaching over 120 degrees and the motor is hitting 110 with High Speed runs. The ESC barely hits 100. So so far so good Ill definately keep people posted on status. Thanks

RC Racer
    any update?

thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Im using a small 3s 1300mah to run both fans to get a better cooling breeze. here you can see the screw rods that i cut to height to make the fan mounts.

Using the heat sink with dual fans and the mod fan keeps the temp down incredibly
    Last edited by AirWick; 07-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Adding the grills to the top and bottom of the fan help keep out debris from busting the blades on the fan

Couldn't put the fourth rod in cause the ESC was in the way. its very sturdy with just three rod stands

Sorry it took so long to post the pics of my mod..
    Last edited by AirWick; 07-26-2011 at 02:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    so where do you mount your regular battery pack?

never mind last post I see you have the smaller battery in the spot beside the battery mount. Does the rod not get in the way of the regular battery?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-27-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Actually that rod helps the battery from sliding around and the reason why the fan is clear is cause it lights up blue. so when i run it at night the truck glows from the bottom...
    Last edited by AirWick; 07-27-2011 at 05:07 PM.