RC Champion

1/10 VXL in a Rally?

Has anybody put a 1/10 system in a rally, or Fiesta, or Mustang, or Ken Block?
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Champion
    Many people have BB 1/16 R/Cs (big blocked), which means putting in a 1/10 scale ESC + motor on the chassis of a 1/16 scale truck. The 1/10 VXL system doesn't work that well in a Rally because there's not much space underneath the body, which means you have to cut the body because of how big the 1/10 VXL system is. It will really only work underneath a 1/16 Summit body, but it can be done on a Rally or similar R/C car.

RC Champion
    Isn't there a brushed version of the Rally that comes with a Titan 12T 550 motor? How does this fit (being larger)? Truth be told, I'm not really looking to put a VXL in a Rally, but rather a different 1/10 system (I don't date say the brand name on this forum, as per rule #11).

EDIT:

Yeah, the Fiesta and red Boss both come brushed with 550's.
    Last edited by Cubic; 07-15-2011 at 03:41 PM.

RC Champion
    You can mount a 1/10 ESC in the battery box on the ESC side, or sideways where the stock ESC is.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    You can mount a 1/10 ESC in the battery box on the ESC side, or sideways where the stock ESC is.
    But the motor is the real problem. Will a 1/10 brushless motor just bolt right in or does it require an adapter/mod?

RC Qualifier
    you can use a Tenbol mount, or for a nicer fit, use the motor mount, motor plate, gear cover, and reciever box from one of the brushed 550 cars. It should be listed on the forum, thats where I got my numbers from, I just dont recall them off hand.
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC Champion
    Looks like these are the parts:

I found a brushed roller, so this should allow me to just bolt on a 1/10 motor, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-1-16-Bru...item20bb109f0c

Also, if the XL2.5 can handle a Titan 12T, then would that ESC work in a 1/10 car?

The link to an on-line retailer has been removed. Please review Rule 11 of the Traxxas On-Line Community Rules, which prohibits the posting of links to on-line retailers.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-15-2011 at 05:55 PM.

RC Champion
    I put one in mine Cubic and after going to a 2s lipo, I'm thinking about putting the VXL back in my Bandit and getting a Sidewinder SC system for the car instead. It's alot heavier than the Sidewinder systems and between that the the grunt of it on the 65/130c lipo's I have, it's barely drivable to the point of not being fun any more, especially while running the LiPo's in a 2s-2p arrangement.

Here's my thread on the car and it also shows the conversion and what LiPo's I'm using.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ht=bjoehandley
    Last edited by bjoehandley; 07-15-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Champion
    bjoe, I was actually planning on putting a SW in but asked about the VXL because I wasn't sure if I was allowed to mention a Castle Product on this forum an longer.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that. Looks like a Fiesta roller is that I really need and I'll be set.

RC Champion
    It's no problem Cubic, if it helps, that the important part! Right now I'm still trying to make it as beautifully well behaved as my brushless Tamiya M-03 Mini Cooper now is (that only took me 6 years to figure out) and unfortunately I'm beginning to think the SW SCT would be better than the VXL I have in there right now just from a weight and CG standpoint

RC Champion
    Yeah, I'll be ordering another SW in a bit, this one the SCT version which really doesn't seem much different. It will be great to be able to run brushed motors too.

Hope to get that roller soon and join the club!

RC Champion
    Luckily the HTU I work for carries them, I'm just not too sure how soon I can afford it....got stuff that needs to be bought for the a fore mentioned M-03 and Pede first

RC Champion
    Found a seller on eBay selling just the ESC's for $45 shipped. I'll pair that with a $22 Tacon.

RC Champion
    Wow, that's cheap, go for it then.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    Wow, that's cheap, go for it then.
    Just ordered the ESC. Now time to save up for the roller. I also bought some tires so I'll be ready as soon as it comes.

RC Champion
    Just ordered the roller and body today. Very excited to get this thing moving. I have some 4-Tec tire so I'll be able to drive it right off the bat. I'm thinking about doing a red and white Canon themed body.

RC Champion
    Should be nice to see when you're done, I ended up not ordering a SV2/4600 combo yet, they're on back order and prices have been going up too

RC poster
    I have 1/10 Scale VXL system in my ford fiesta

RC Champion
    Look great, NextLegend. What battery are you using with that monster powerhouse?

RC Champion
    You can use the STOCK ESC with a 1/10 scale motor? Won't that overpower the ESC?

RC Champion
    You can use the STOCK ESC with a 1/10 scale motor? Won't that overpower the ESC?
    Well I have no idea. I know the Titan 12T (550) will work with the XL2.5 too... so why did they make a second ESC if the XL-5 works with both the 380 Titan and the 540 Titan?

RC Champion
    I've heard of it, but I don't buy it just yet. I'd rather go with a Sidewinder and 540 motor just for the weight savings though.

BTW Cubic, I did get my hands on some second hand HPI VTA Hoosier look-a-likes and Torque Thrust clones (26mm front and 31mm rear) for my Fiesta and that did help the car's stability a bunch, but it still seems like it needs the lighter motor and esc to drive better with my two 65/130c 2s packs in parallel.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubic View Post
    Well I have no idea. I know the Titan 12T (550) will work with the XL2.5 too... so why did they make a second ESC if the XL-5 works with both the 380 Titan and the 540 Titan?
    I have the options to try the 2.5 with a 1/10 motor, but if you search the forum...many guys will tell you that a sidewinder with a stock brushless motor is a great upgrade as well. as most of us might know the stock vxl 1/16 stuff is picky with gearing, as im still trying to make a stock KB make a full 2s run without overheating....but i have a Merv with a big block sidewinder system with no problems at all....id say the best jump to make is a small esc....i got pics of a sidewinder fitting on the top of a stock chassis of a 1/16....no fans, just minor cooling holes in a body.....and i got an extra sidewinder esc that works perfectly if you want...pm me...
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC Champion
    Thanks Restlessrustler, but I actually have a Sidewinder SCT. I'll always take a SW off your hands for free, though, just to help out. The roller arrived today. Can't wait to test it out!

As for tires, bjoe, for now I'll just test out the 4-Tec set I have lying around. They're pretty warn though, so I'll have to choose something else soon. I'll see how I like to drive the car first though (on-road, drift, off, etc.). The rims I have chosen out. In fact I'm going to buy a couple sets: red, green, and black-- from an eBay Chinese retailer for $6 set. They also have amazing deals on tires, so It may be worth a try for $9 a set (yeah, four tires for $9!!).

Unfortunately the real priority now it power. I don't have any 1/16 size batteries yet, so I'll have to use my 6 cell pack and figure out how to mount it temporarily. I have my eyes on the some 1600 and 2200 mAh ***** packs, though.

Ah, I also picked up a can of matte black paint so I'm going with a black out look with "showie" rims. Unfortunately my LHS didn't have any wings in stock, but I'll try to get one soon and see if I can't make it work with the Rally body.

Then when I get the Rally all set-up it'll be time to make a djmaincheese-ish trailer and a scalerr to pull it.
    Last edited by Cubic; 08-07-2011 at 12:56 AM.

RC Champion
    Well, it came but I was an IDIOT and cut the chassis to try and mount a larger servo. I'm just going to buy a smaller servo and a new chassis now. I could use the same chassis and just use the servo mount on the other side, but I'm a neat freak and can't stand having part of the chassis missing.

RC Champion
    Looks good so far, let me know what you think of your setup.

RC Champion
    Thanks! Just picked up a servo and the body arrived. 1st coat down! It'll be a simple body, but I may have some neato decals made.

RC Champion
    Here's the product!

Last edited by Cubic; 08-08-2011 at 07:58 PM.

RC Champion
    Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Everything overpowered...

RC Champion
    See my other thread in the forum. Right now I've not enjoyed it at all. I cut the chassis, blew $25 on a freakin' micro servo, and have can't turn while accelerating. Bad first impression, but it doesn't have much do do with the actual car.

RC Champion
    the stock servo went bad?
    Everything overpowered...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    the stock servo went bad?
    If didn't come with a servo... a roller. You can read the thread.

RC Champion
    Finally got the lipo and servo and this thing rolling! It's smokin' fast but I'll have to make some serious adjustments to the shocks and ESC.

RC Champion
    I drove my Rally yesterday with no body on, because I was tired of scraping the body flipping over. Just after a few minutes, the foam bumper was about destroyed! This is actually really scary because the Lexan body was taking all of the hits before with the bumper absorbing some of the impact as well. I'm scared for the life of the body. At least the foam bumpers are cheap.

I also bought some cheap brand new E-Revo body mounts from a member on here. I'm interested in buying the parts to convert it. Does anybody know how wide the 1/16 E-Revo is?

RC poster
    I wanna turn mine into offroad also since i have my 4tec for road and hardly have any smooth road around me I want an offroad one