Thread: Broken motor?

RC Enthusiast

Broken motor?

I just put my Slash back together after having some major center diff bearing failures, etc. When I go to test run it, It's really slow, and doesn't sound great. I was first thinking maybe it was the center diff, but after some testing I found that I can actually hold the gear on the motor keeping it from spinning while applying throttle and the motor will appear to spin on the inside. It makes a funny noise when I do this as if the motor shaft is broken inside the can. It's a Novak HV4.5. I have not take the motor apart to see what is up, but thought I'd post up here and see if anyone had run across this before with any other motor.

If indeed the motor is bad, what's a good replacement? I'll also use the search and see if I can find anything about good motor combos.

RC Champion
    most likely your rotor has become unglued from the shaft. i have a 5.5 hv which is the same motor, and a good replacement would be a 14 mm tuning rotor. it slows the rpms a little bit, but it gives you less heat, and more runtime.
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoolman101 View Post
    most likely your rotor has become unglued from the shaft. i have a 5.5 hv which is the same motor, and a good replacement would be a 14 mm tuning rotor. it slows the rpms a little bit, but it gives you less heat, and more runtime.
    I took the motor apart and sure enough, the rotor had come unglued. I re-glued it with Gorilla glue so we'll see if it will hold when I get it back together.

RC Champion
    $40 money order send it to Traxxas, they'll send you a new one.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallguy905 View Post
    $40 money order send it to Traxxas, they'll send you a new one.
    It's a Novak motor. I think I have it fixed, but haven't had the chance to run the truck much.