Thread: Plastic Pinion?

RC Competitor

Plastic Pinion?

Ok so has anyone seen or heard of them making a plastic pinion for a slash 4x4? I am getting sick of everytime I run my slash my spur gets stripped. I have made sure the mesh is perfect. I have had other people set the mesh. But just about every time the spur will be stripped. I did have a issue where my motor mount was messed up new and they replaced it. But the only helped a little while. I would say its just my truck but my brother in laws does the same thing. Of course I would love for the problem to go away all together but I just don't see it happening. So I figured if they made a plastic pinion I would just get a metal spur. Since changing the pinion would be so much easier and faster. Let me know what you know. Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    check it is not the screw from the pinion that is stripping the spur, it happened to me just yesterday, I was trying diff pinions, and did not put loctite on it the pinion slipped and the screw stripped the spur. Also latetly I broke 4 pinions just tighteen them up.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 07-22-2011 at 03:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yeah we have both been putting loctite on ours past couple times and still getting the same problem. idk what else to do. Its driving me up the wall that every time I go out to run this thing I know its gunna have a problem. Almost done with it. About to sell and get a Vorza Flux!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    are you using traxxas pinions 32P?

RC Competitor
    yes 13/54 and I have gone threw atleast 15 54 spurs in the past year

If you and anybody else you know is stripping spur gear regularly, then there is something wrong with your methods or your truck. This is not a normal thing. Are you running the stock Velineon motor? I run the CC SCT Pro system on mine with 3S & 4S and the stock motor mount and I may have stripped one spur since December 2009.
    Are the spur gear teeth completely snapped off or ground down?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I have had issues where one part of the spur will get flat and I can't run anymore because it wont grab in that spot to do a full turn. At that point I just go ahead and lower the mesh so I can run little more and it will round out the whole thing. I know that is to tight of mesh but at that point the spur is already jacked up.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If you and anybody else you know is stripping spur gear regularly, then there is something wrong with your methods os your truck. This is not a normal thing.
    Word
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    When are they stripping? If its when you land a jump that would be a over tightened slipper....

Thats weird bc I run a 120 amp 2700 kv Hobbywing BL combo, tons of torque and I've never stripped a spur, I even ran it on 3s once
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Champion
    I run a Novak 550 motor and odn't strip spurs, not from 'normal' reasons anyways. I always ruin them with small rocks than stripping the gears. I keep my slipper clutch locked up all the time too.

I wonder ... is the plastic motor mount letting the motor adjustment slip, resulting in a poor gear mesh.

Is there anyway you could take pics for us?

RC Qualifier
    IF the mesh is perfect then it should not strip. I haven't stripped a spur on any of my trucks in years. Even emaxx on 6s. Has to be something with your motor mount letting the motor move away from the spur. I break shafts and diffs before my spur strips.

Have you checked the plastic piece the bearing sits on? If that melts it will strip gears.

RC Competitor
    I have the aluminum replacement. That was a issue before though

RC Champion
    Pics? How are they stripping?

I dunno if it's already been asked, but are the bearings in front of the slipper and in the rear diff in good shape?

Could the slipper be getting to hot and making the plastic gear to soft?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-27-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: merge