Thread: Wet receiver

RC Racer

Wet receiver

I had the Rustler at the beach and ran through a little pool unintentionally. Now it throttles and steers by itself. The esc is waterproof. Could this be caused by the receiver getting wet and will it sort itself out after a while? It happened yesterday afternoon and is still doing it almost 24 hrs later. Thanks!
    VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    there is a chance that it got wet, also salt water is bad for electronics, if you don't want to open the receiver and check just let it sit on rice for a couple of days it will absorb the moisture.

RC poster
    well first of all , the well any receiver is going to be NOT waterproof , so if you where smart you would have kept the blue silicone around the receiver box to make sure that the water did not get through , but scince it did i suggest you to put it in a bag of rice for 24hours then it it will be good to go , happend with me one time . Don't worry about it to much kid , it's common and it happends to everybody all the time even my self.

RC Racer
    I took my electronics apart and "potted" them with loctite potting compound and now my rustler will run underwater, I dont even have the sealed box type I have the older box.

Pop the rx open and set the green pcb in a bowl of 98% rubbing alcohol, for about 3 minutes then take it out and blow it dry with compressed air

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've never heard of the rubbing alcohol method before. What does this do?
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    I've never heard of the rubbing alcohol method before. What does this do?
    I haven't either, but, alcohol dries completely and leaves no residue...... however, have no experience using alcohol to dry out electronics, but it does make sense (from a practical standpoint).
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This has me curious and makes me want to experiment. Wonder what I can try it on that isn't my RC car haha.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

I know it works on cell phones when people have "mishapps" Ak dropping them in the drink. Done this several times to my customers phones and it has about a 75% success rate as far as bringing the phone back to a working state. So should work the same way with receivers, as far as esc's its usually too far damaged for this to work