RC poster

Durability Upgrades.

Hiya all.

I've been hanging around on the forum for a short while just reading up gaining a little knowledge from your posts.

Just took ownership of a Slash Ultimate a few days ago and decided that my Helis are out of the door to keep this little car financed for a while.

In the opinion of you Slash owners...What sort of upgrades would improve durability on this little monster? I've already gained a lot of good info from reading up but find it a wee bit confusing too.

Any info/help appreciated.

Cheers.

RC poster
    U gona be racing or just playing Around/bashing

RC Enthusiast
    Most folks will likely say replace the parts as ya break 'em....... when you do break an A arm, go with the RPM replacements, free replacements for life I have heard (though I have not broken any of theirs......yet). Also, the bearing adapter that goes up against your spur gear bearing will likely wear quickly, most have gone w an aluminum replcement (or the entire motor mount for that matter, which kinghedz makes a nice upgraded one). New shoes (tires) make a big impact from the stock BFGs, and then lastly perhaps battery upgrades to lipos for huge power and performance enhancements..........these boards are the single best thing you can read to educate yourself on your new ride, welcome!!

RC poster
    Shredz, I've been bashing around a bit in the dirt for now but not too sure how far I'll go. Used 2 cans of compressed air just cleaning off this little bundle of viciousness so far. I'd like to give noob racing a try too when I get home and can find a track.

doolz, thanks for the welcome. I've already got the RPM A arms in my shopping basket along with a traxxas aluminium bearing adapter, Illizion overtray (spending too much on compressed air), PL streetfighter tires and split rims for mucking about in the street, Slipper clutch rebuild kit, Full set of bearings....I think, spare set of big bore shocks, center drive shaft with spare steel hubs,Shock fluid and Diff oil kit. I'll look up another set of rims and off road tyres for when the stock are poked.

I'm not at home right now and the closest hobby shop is probably in a different timezone. Trying to set up a bit of a crash kit and order through towerhobbies. It's probably not much of a crash kit so far, Lol.

You guys feel free to add on what you reckon I may need.

RC Qualifier
    my rule of thumb is to look for the upgrade of the part you break. upgrade as you go +1.
    SSC SLASH 4X4 (Long gone...)
    Slash 4x4 PE LCG

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by indy34096 View Post
    my rule of thumb is to look for the upgrade of the part you break. upgrade as you go +1.
    You're right Indy. I'll probably end up with parts I may never use if I go my route. I'll order the parts as mentioned by doolz up above and bite the bullet if something else does go.

RC Champion
    A proline undertray is nice, it keeps rocks and stuff from entering the driveshaft hole and it protects the underside of the truck from debris

Another nice thing is stampede shock guards for the rear and those RPM shock guards look good too
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Enthusiast
    I just added the stampede lower shock guards to my Slash 4x4 last week and they are already quite scratched up. So they must be doing a good job. And they make it look kinda mean too. Check out some of the mods to the center driveline tunnel for keeping sticks and stones out. I went with a couple small pieces of adhesive backed industrial grade Velcro. Stuck a narrow strip to the driveshaft cover, and then stuffed a piece down in the tunnel itself right at the forward opening... Looks like it should do a good job of keeping the big chunks out (the pieces that like to scratch up your driveshaft. I would go buy a small air compressor (possibly one that you can plug into a cigarette lighter if you run your truck away from a power outlet) and use that to blow the dirt out. Canned air is expensive.

RC poster
    Thanks for the ideas hawk and CraneMech. Got the shock guards in the shopping basket. I've already gone the neoprene route with regards to the drive shaft which seems to be working well.