Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Castle 5700kV Big Block Installed

I just put this on over the weekend. The performance is really awesome. It fits my Exotek big bore shocks with the right gearing, which is a nice plus. I used the Tenbol motor mount and Traxxas 7024x receiver box. This setup provides a lot more room than the stock motor for the ESC fitment. I had to cut the fan off my MMP ESC with the stock motor setup. So now with the extra room, I could put the fan back on. My SPC 2S 20c lipo batteries were not up to the task of this motor, as they started to puff up a little bit. So I've got some Boost 2S 50c lipo batteries on the way.

RC Champion
    So, what's your gearing? Looks reaaaally awesome...

RC Competitor
    Just a sideways question. Is it practical to have such a strong motor? cuz for me the stock motor is already to strong :P

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by xgo View Post
    Just a sideways question. Is it practical to have such a strong motor? cuz for me the stock motor is already to strong :P
    yes it is very convenient, it runs cool all the time, you don't have to worry about gearing it lower for speed runs or bigger tires, I love it.

RC Competitor
    thanks. how about the Exotek big bore shocks. i was looking at them yesterday. look very nice and expensive are they all metal? is it worth the money? any difference while driving?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thanks. how about the Exotek big bore shocks. i was looking at them yesterday. look very nice and expensive are they all metal? is it worth the money? any difference while driving?
    don't have any experience with those, but I prefer the traxxas GTR shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmachine View Post
    My SPC 2S 20c lipo batteries were not up to the task of this motor, as they started to puff up a little bit. So I've got some Boost 2S 50c lipo batteries on the way
    4 pole motors are a hungry beast, my *****s 20c weren't puffed, but they got too hot after running, the ******* 25c were great, you should contact spc I heard they had great customer service.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-10-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    don't have any experience with those, but I prefer the traxxas GTR shocks.
    what do u like on them?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what do u like on them?
    Aluminum body, stronger shaft, don't leak like the stock ones.

RC Racer
    good looking setup fastmachine. i have the exact same setup, but the wires on esc and motor length is bugging me. i know for some castle motor/esc's is ok to shorten wires, but is it ok for this setup? I'm drying to shorten my wires to clean it up a bit.

RC poster
    what kind of runtime are you guys getting with the castle 5700kv on 2s?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlop353 View Post
    what kind of runtime are you guys getting with the castle 5700kv on 2s?
    I got around 15min, running ******* 2s 2200mah 25c, it depends on your driving conditions and throttle control I run full throttle.

RC Champion
    Please keep us posted on the Boost batteries. I have a pair of his 2s and one of the newer 3s packs and plan to run MMP with the 4600kv motor. So far the Boost batteries in the stock MERV are excellent. 30 min plus and I stop before LVC...so far.

That sure is a magnificent looking beast you have there.
    Never do anything half fast. Hey Ya'll, watch this

RC Racer
    i run the boost 1800 3's on my mmp and 5700kv and they last about 15-20 min and all i do is full throttle speed runs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel2ooo View Post
    i run the boost 1800 3's on my mmp and 5700kv and they last about 15-20 min and all i do is full throttle speed runs.
    not too shabby, i plan to run 2 of those packs in parallel. although I'm sure i will break something before the packs even hit lvc. haha

RC Qualifier
    Yes, i heared people saying that the esc by itself can take up to 6s but the motor could only take up to 3s. can someone fill us in on that?

Aloha
    John

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    So, what's your gearing? Looks reaaaally awesome...
    35/45 currently.

They're very nice. Yes, they're made of metal. Huge improvement over stock. They absorb bumps and impacts very well.

Quote Originally Posted by khanphelan View Post
    Yes, i heared people saying that the esc by itself can take up to 6s but the motor could only take up to 3s. can someone fill us in on that?

Aloha
    John
    The MMP ESC is rated for 6S. This Castle 5700 motor is rated for 3S. 3S on this motor is more than enough. FYI, the stock 380 motor isn't rated for 4S, but I have ran it on 4S many times and have never had a problem with it.

RC Qualifier
    ohhhh i see, then i shall just run in 3s parallel

RC Enthusiast
    i run the same setup mmp5700kv but with the ******* 2200mAh 40c 2s in parallel and it flies just need to sort the gearing so it runs a bit cooler.
    What gearing are you running in yours? I am using 31/55 atm but temps after 10mins are getting high, also running a centre diff to be a bit kinder on front/rear diff with the extra power, just waiting for the alloy bulkheads/gearbox now too to help with wear on diff gears these are awsome little trucks love mine to bits

RC Racer
    35/45 currently.

They're very nice. Yes, they're made of metal. Huge improvement over stock. They absorb bumps and impacts very well.

The MMP ESC is rated for 6S. This Castle 5700 motor is rated for 3S. 3S on this motor is more than enough. FYI, the stock 380 motor isn't rated for 4S, but I have ran it on 4S many times and have never had a problem with it.
    what was your top speed on 3's geared 35/45? when i put 4's on running 35/45 it's no faster than 3's. do you have any idea why? i thought maybe running 35/50 on 4's to see if that changed anything.

RC Champion
    If gearing stays the same 4s should be 33% faster than 3s

Sounds like your batteries are not providing enough juice

Not sure why you blokes are using such ridiculous gearing anyway, surely the car is not controllable at that speed

I used to run the 4600 on 4s geared 28/45 and that was plenty fast enough

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Not sure why you blokes are using such ridiculous gearing anyway, surely the car is not controllable at that speed
    Fun is more fun when it's completely uncontrollable.

RC Qualifier
    really! I love having enuf power to explode the truck with one quik snap of the throttle! LOL! Then trying to resist to make it last all day!

RC Racer
    If gearing stays the same 4s should be 33% faster than 3s

Sounds like your batteries are not providing enough juice

I used to run the 4600 on 4s geared 28/45 and that was plenty fast enough

Cheers
    my merv is controllable at 70 so far. I have the max amps 2200 2's series and i figured they would have enough power or maybe not. maxamps claim they have enough power.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrytetsuo View Post
    really! I love having enuf power to explode the truck with one quik snap of the throttle! LOL! Then trying to resist to make it last all day!
    100 percent agree. I always brake something on mine everyday when at high speeds. i think thats why i keep doing it. lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel2ooo View Post
    my merv is controllable at 70 so far. I have the max amps 2200 2's series and i figured they would have enough power or maybe not. maxamps claim they have enough power.
    So your running 4s geared 35/45 and only hitting 70 ?

Doesnt sound right to me

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Racer
    So your running 4s geared 35/45 and only hitting 70 ?

Doesnt sound right to me

Cheers
    im running 70 on 3's and when i try 4's it seem like it loses power and wont go past 71mph. When i put my 3's back in it's fine. I don't know what else to try.

RC Champion
    Something is not right then

I would have expected 3s to be a lot faster than that

What ESC settings are you using ?

Buy yourself a wattmeter so you can see what your batteries are doing

At 4s 2200mah sized packs would not provide anywhere near enough amps for that sort of gearing

My old 2 pole 4600 used to burst over 80 amps on 4s, who knows what the the 4 poles are capable of

Even at 80 amps you would require a true 40c batt to support it, and we all know MA packs wont do that

My guess is you are way over-geared

I would be gearing it for 60 mph on 3s which would be 80 mph on 4s

That would be 24/45 with stock sized tires

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey; 08-12-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Slash Platinum

RC Racer
    I'm going to try to go down in gearing and give it a try. The 3's I got are boost 1800. Should I buy boost 2's over the maxamps? Should I take down the pinion or should I up spur gear? Thanks
    Last edited by kelkel2ooo; 08-12-2011 at 11:58 AM.

RC Champion
    Never seen any data comparing packs with these motors so its just a guessing game

Grab some testing gear ($25 wattmeter) and it will give you an idea how your batteries are actually performing

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    I haven't put the GPS on it, so I don't know the top speed yet. I'm going to gear it down a little bit for general use. I'm just waiting for my 55T spur gear to come in so I can see what combination works the best while still allowing me to use the Exotek shocks. My first test runs were with 35/45 gearing and one SPC 2S 20c battery and it puffed up a little bit. If I tried lower gearing and running two batteries is parallel to split the load, I'm sure that would help out quite a bit. I've got some Boost 2S 50c batteries coming in that will work better anyway with this motor. They have the highest c rating I've seen.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the help crusey. I am gearing down and hopefully that will work.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't put the GPS on it, so I don't know the top speed yet. I'm going to gear it down a little bit for general use. I'm just waiting for my 55T spur gear to come in so I can see what combination works the best while still allowing me to use the Exotek shocks. My first test runs were with 35/45 gearing and one SPC 2S 20c battery and it puffed up a little bit. If I tried lower gearing and running two batteries is parallel to split the load, I'm sure that would help out quite a bit. I've got some Boost 2S 50c batteries coming in that will work better anyway with this motor. They have the highest c rating I've seen.
    Update us on the boost packs. I'd like to know how long your run time is and how many mah you can get in them.

RC Enthusiast
    i was looking at the velineon 3500 for an upgrade for my mini summit, but this Castle 5700kV Big Block sounds like more up my alley, but will the 3500 work with a big block kit for that mini summit? anyone help would be appreciated. wanna run all that down first, what all i would have to change with the 3500, was hoping i could keep the factory esc with a fan, but if i had to i could get the same thing just the entire 1/10th slash motor, the 3500 and the ESC witch is the VXL-3s where mine is the VXL-3m? not sure of all of the differences in the two ESCs either, as i said any help will do, running with just a few gear changes and a 3s 1550 mah on that mostly factory set up is pretty fast, but nowhere near the speeds that you guys are talking about. just let me know if you can help, thanks again josh.

RC Champion
    1/10 Traxxas ESC is too large to fit in a 1/16 car

3500 motor is too powerful to run on the 1/16 sized ESC

3500 will fit on the larger motor mount (Traxxas or Tenbol)

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey; 08-14-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Slash Platinum

RC Champion
    1/10 Traxxas ESC is too large to fit in a 1/16 car
    Not really, I've seen it zip tied to the body posts of a 1/16 Summit, and it fit just fine on the side, too. But the 1/16 Summit has a much larger body to allow for more room under the body itself...

RC Qualifier
    I changed my gearing to 30/50 and ran two SPC 2S 20c batteries in parallel, and had no puffing this time. My Boost 2S batteries didn't come in this weekend so I'll have to wait until next weekend to try them out.

RC Qualifier
    I got my Boost 2S batteries in the mail. They are a very tight fit into the chassis, due to the length. In order to take them out of the chassis, I'm going to have to use some ribbon or something to wrap around them to pull them out. Otherwise pulling on the wires is the only way to get them out.

RC poster
    Greetings from Canada. I have the 4 pole 3800 1410 1Y. Same dimensions as your 5700, yes? How did you make it fit with the exotek big bores?...I am runnning the 7360 mount. Any advice on how to keep my big bores in action would be great. Thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Greetings from Canada. I have the 4 pole 3800 1410 1Y. Same dimensions as your 5700, yes? How did you make it fit with the exotek big bores?...I am runnning the 7360 mount. Any advice on how to keep my big bores in action would be great. Thanks
    Welcome to the forums!!

You could use different gearing.. what gearing are you using now? A larger pinion gear and different spur gear may be enough to bump the motor up high enough to fit over those large big bore shocks.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply, I have actually not selected a pinion gear yet, just bought the parts for the swap and did a mock up and the motor hit the shocks. So if I select a larger gear it may clear? Any suggestions on gearing for me on 2s and 3s for general bashing around? Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast