RC poster

How to upgrade old spartan version 1 electronics to Castle

Hi,

I tried searching for over an hour on the net to try to find my answer, I still can't beleive noone has asked for it plain and simple.

How is it possible to get new castle electronics for my boat, is it more simple to buy a spartan p/n #5707 as my stock electronics v1.0 stills runs good, its just they last 3-4min @ 11.1v then overheat protection kicks in and im tired of that.

Do i have to go thru my stock electronics in order to be eligible to the new castle stuff??? I heard traxxas support for canada is not the best. We just not have the same treatment as u guys plain example is the 1800 number dont work in canada, and power up program always has the stupid for us customer only crap.... charge me 10$ more for shipping if u like..... remember free trade aggrement???? Every hobby store in canada that ive seen carries more traxxas products than any other brand.... ok enough about that im getting side tracked

RC Qualifier
    Try their e-mail address for customer support. They should get back to you within a day or two. Unless you have a problem with the stock electronics they are not going to replace them. Mine started to pulse when going past half throttle and everthing got HOT,HOT,HOT.

If the system is working there is no need to replace it. If there is an issue with the system then you should contact Traxxas at the email address below

support@traxxas.com
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-14-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    I've asked a few times and they will not replace it unless there is a problem, trust me I've tried to blow my up but it just will not fry.

Guys suggesting ways to burn up the system or otherwise intentionally cause it to fail in an effort to get a new system are not welcome here.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Sorry about that. Im just pointing out, WHY are you trying to fry a system that is working? It seems a bit strange.
    And even if Traxxas have had many issues with the old system, I recon it is not all of them. You also menation that you are running on 3S, most have been fried at 6S...So 3 is a bit safe as well in terms of capacity issues i guess
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447

Quote Originally Posted by Powerhouse View Post
    Sorry about that. Im just pointing out, WHY are you trying to fry a system that is working? It seems a bit strange.
    And even if Traxxas have had many issues with the old system, I recon it is not all of them. You also menation that you are running on 3S, most have been fried at 6S...So 3 is a bit safe as well in terms of capacity issues i guess
    You crossed the line from pointing out it makes no sense to try and fry the system when you suggested a method to actually fry it.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    If your system is cutting off after a few minutes due to thermal shutdown, that isn't right...the system needs to be replaced. The motor or esc should be able to run for more than a few mins...assuming the cooling system is working fine and nothing is bound up on your drivetrain. I would email Traxxas for a rma number and ship it to them. They will most likely replace it for you, their customer service is top notch. Mine was doing the same thing and they sent me the new castle system. The motor shouldn't overheat in a few mins. Good luck....
    Castle powered Spartan
    KB Gymkhana
    Rustler vxl

RC poster
    Just called 1-888-Traxxas from canada using skype instead of home phone(worked!)

Told me to send in my power tray for them to check it out, he told me there is a good chance I will get the new version, as mine is totaly unservicable at 6s.

Keep on hitting thermal shutdown in about 6-8min operating it that way :
    giving 10 sec full throttle full speed then about 30-45s low speed (low but fast enough to have water pouring on the side) to cool it down then another quick speed run, cooling .... and so on. I dont want to imagine it going 2-3 min non stop.....

Everything was freshly oiled before each run.

Even with the bad reputation of the system version 1 on 6s, operating it safely the way I do it should not put it in thermal shutdown that quick.

Cant wait to see how's it gonna worked out. The Traxxas rep was very friendly so it was a nice first experience with their support despite my somewhat broken french accent over the phone lol

Ill let u know how it ends up.

Thanks
    David

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricard View Post
    Just called 1-888-Traxxas from canada using skype instead of home phone(worked!)

Told me to send in my power tray for them to check it out, he told me there is a good chance I will get the new version, as mine is totaly unservicable at 6s.

Keep on hitting thermal shutdown in about 6-8min operating it that way :
    giving 10 sec full throttle full speed then about 30-45s low speed (low but fast enough to have water pouring on the side) to cool it down then another quick speed run, cooling .... and so on. I dont want to imagine it going 2-3 min non stop.....

Everything was freshly oiled before each run.

Even with the bad reputation of the system version 1 on 6s, operating it safely the way I do it should not put it in thermal shutdown that quick.

Cant wait to see how's it gonna worked out. The Traxxas rep was very friendly so it was a nice first experience with their support despite my somewhat broken french accent over the phone lol

Ill let u know how it ends up.

Thanks
    David
    Great, Im hoping it all works out for you. My stock motor/esc was doing the exact same thing, and I got the updated electronics. I just shipped out my other stock motor/esc yesterday due to the ESC shutting down from thermal overload in a couple mins....hoping they replace it too. From my previous experience, i think they will take care of us. Let us know!!!
    Castle powered Spartan
    KB Gymkhana
    Rustler vxl