RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...

Question How should I make my Rustler LiPo Ready?

Hello everyone,
    I haven't been on here a lot in the last few months, I have been very busy... and have had hardly any time to get on here... I'll be trying to come on more, been missing the Traxxas Community. I do still have time to give the Rustler VXL a good run. And everything is going pretty good. No problems. I have the standard Rustler VXL ESC and motor.

I've been running two 9 cell Promatch nimh batteries since November last year, and have been considering recently getting one or two lipos. I'd like to at least get one 3s with fairly high mAh for good run-times. Probably 8000 mAh would be good.

My Questions:
    What is the best 3s Lipo with high mAh I can get?
    What is the best in terms of battery performance, durability, and price?
    Where is best to buy from?

And what should I upgrade on my Rustler for it to be able to handle the power and speed a 3s will give.
    Axels, gearbox, and all that stuff is basically stock. What spur and pinion gears would be best for just general use. Currently with the 9 cells I use 19t and 86t. Keeps the temps down and still gives me pretty good speed.

Thanks.
    Chris

Edit: One other thing. I've been planning to get some Badlands tyres for a while but havent got around to it. I have the original wheels and tyres that came with my truck, but they got worn and one of the foams snapped and bunched up in the tyres forcing me to get some new ones. Could I fit the Badlands to those wheels if I take off the worn tyres?
    Last edited by Rustin'RedRusty; 08-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The best packs are IMO from SPC... great price, great product, top notch performance. You cant go wrong with their stuff...

Your transmission gears are fine the way they are so dont worry about that. Youll want to make sure you have bearings in the front and rear carriers. The slash 4X4 rear driveshafts are a great upgrade and will hold up to 3S power much better than stock.

If your running 9cell nimhs you shouldnt need to re-gear much. MAYBE go down 1 tooth on the pinion but that should be it.

The NEW 2.8 badlands can be mounted on your stock rims... but the older 30 series cant and neither can the 2.2's without modifications.

Welcome back man.

RC Qualifier
    I'm still running the stock 25/83 gears, bone stock drivetrain, always with 3s lipo's and LOTS of heavy bashing. never had an issue with anything power/speed related (besides a 50mph+ wheelie putting the car on it's topside and sliding into a parked car )

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    Thanks guys,
    I did remember about SPC. Had a look at their site a couple times over summer. I'll have a look there. I'm not decided if I'll go for it. I know my charger than easily handle 3s lipo and all.

I'm pretty sure I have bearings in the carriers, but I'll have a quick look.
    Ah, yes 4x4 carriers, I remember hearing that when I was around here more. Another reason I haven't been on a lot is that I decide theres things I wanna buy, and I don't usually have a lot of money. And I'll be 16 next year so I can finally get Learners and I get P plates when I turn 17, so I'm gonna want a car. Probably get a job somewhere, and unfortunately, there ain't any hobby stores around here. Dammit.

I thought the gearing would be fairly good for 3s.

Oooh, I didn't know there were some new 2.8 badlands... I remember the 30 series not being able to, so I was going to get some new rims as well that they would fit.

I'll probably grab some of them. By the way, what is the best way to remove glued tyres from rims?

Yeah those 50 mph+ crashes are a pain eh? I hit a small bush a while back... the Rusty kinda took half of the bush with it. The truck was fine, wouldn't know it happend, the bush on the other hand... err, put it this way, don't tell my neighbour it was me.
    Last edited by Rustin'RedRusty; 08-28-2011 at 02:59 AM.
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Qualifier
    If I do choose to buy one of the 3s 8000 mAh from SPC (Um, they say they have none in stock though... should I wait or email asking if I can order one?) if I had trouble with the pack (swelling. etc.) what is the 'proper' way of disposing of the pack?

Thanks
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Champion
    SPC is out of stock quite frequently. That's a downside to them. There are other great packs out there but few as good and as inexpensive as SPC. Lots of folks have had good luck with Venom (not my personal favorite tho), GensAce are good with great prices. On the higher end of things there's Reedy, Xcelorion (Losi), ProMatch, et al.

Don't even think about "puffing"!!! That's a kiss of death . Seriously, if you treat your LiPos as directed, which is mandatory, then you shouldn't run into any issues at all.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustin'RedRusty View Post
    If I do choose to buy one of the 3s 8000 mAh from SPC (Um, they say they have none in stock though... should I wait or email asking if I can order one?) if I had trouble with the pack (swelling. etc.) what is the 'proper' way of disposing of the pack?

Thanks
    to dispose of a LIPO, get a bucket of water and disolve normal table salt in it until no more salt will disolve. LOTS of salt. drop the battery right into the bucket and let it sit for 24 hours or more. after that, check voltage of the battery. once the voltage is zero, just throw it away. if it still has voltage, dunk it for another 24 hours. keep going til it's at zero volts

RC Champion
    Chris, Good to hear from ya again. How are things down under? Hope the photography has been going well. I bought a 2s 25c 5000mAh Promatch lipo and I am very happy with it. I have been wanting to get a 3s, but that hasn't happened. It is partially because I want an aluminum tranny case before I add the extra voltage. I will also need to get some new wheels and tires so I don't over heat it running Proline Trenchers. PM me and I will send you some pictures of my beast now. Again, glad to hear from you!!!!
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a 3s venom and I'm happy with it. Cells are always balanced when it goes on the charger and when it comes off. Need to make a cut in the battery tray though since the wires come out the side of the battery.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Qualifier
    I suppose I will need to get a balancer as well eh?

Great you hear from you too Doug! Things are pretty good down under tha sun. Been a dry winter, fairly cold yes, not ever snow cold. But haven't had as much rain as usual.

Again, does anyone know how to remove glued tyres from rims?
    Thanks
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Champion
    A balancer is a must for proper lipo care. I tried the boiling method of removing tires, but it discolored the black chrome and I ended up throwing them away. It would probably be best to check Ebay for some wheel tire combos. Also Proline has a great selection of pre-mounted.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    Yes a balancing charger that is designed specifically for lipo batteries is an absolute necessity with any lipo battery

RC Qualifier
    My charger is a Swallow 2 AC/DC charger. Can do up to 5s or 6s lipo. But I don't think it balances the battery, so I'll have to get a balancer. I'll have a look at Proline's pre-mounted rims.

Thanks guys.
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Qualifier
    Is there anything you'd suggest I get for the truck just to help things stay a little cooler? Like aluminium gearbox or something? Or should I not bother.
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustin'RedRusty View Post
    Is there anything you'd suggest I get for the truck just to help things stay a little cooler? Like aluminium gearbox or something? Or should I not bother.
    Aluminum tranny case is the overall most effective option dropping temps about 35 degrees.

A heat sink and fan combo on the motor is also good, dropping temps about 30 degrees, but the fans have a tendency to burn out forcing you to buy another one.

You may also want a fan for your esc. But NOT the traxxas fan. It's overpriced and kind of sucks cuz it burns out very quickly and gets noisy. Buy a cheaper one like a Castle fan, and find your own way to mount it.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Qualifier
    I've been thinking about an alum tranny case, but I'd hate to make a rear heavy truck even heavier that far back. What's the weight difference between an alum case and stock case?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Aluminum parts are about double of what the plastic part weighs. You could always put a bit of stance on your rusty to counter act the extra weight.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Qualifier
    I'll have a look at aluminion trans cases. Recommendations? And where would I be best to get a heatsink/fan for the motor?
    I already have a fan for the ESC... and yes, it's the Traxxas fan... haven't had any trouble with it though. Isn't noisier than when I bought it, and has been reliable.

Just a month ago I was saying I probably wouldn't buy anything more for the Rusty... since I should start saving for a car soon... now...
    Alum tranny case
    Heatsink/fan for motor
    Badlands 2.8
    and a SPC lipo are on the list... oh well, my fault I guess, I bought the truck, and joined these forums... and I don't regret any of it.
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Champion
    Flm and Rem both make excellent tranny cases. Integy also makes one for a little cheaper but it has had many reports of not always fitting correctly and bad screws. But the normal ones that aren't defective work alright.

As for heat sink fan combos there are a lot of those, but I would get the Castle one.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Qualifier
    Ok, thanks guys, pretty sure that's all got me sorted. Ill try to do some research on the recommended products this arvo. I'll probably look around a bit soon for a part time job. But sometimes Dad has some jobs, like building frames (from small desktop siZes to 2.5metre canvas stretch frames, sometimes I put together a whole product), he has two big canvas stretch frames that I'm putting together this arvo for 30 bucks.

Thanks again guys!
    Can you break a Rusty?