RC Enthusiast

Diff upgrade question

I have been reading and searching until my brain hurts so it's time to ask for some help. I have now blown 3 sets of diff's. Will the Golden Horizons 02584 Aluminum Gear Box work with the e-maxx 3908? If so I get two sets of these with the aluminum gear box collars, then reaplace the gears (and shim?) And it then should be stronger? Is shimming necessary? Thanks

RC Racer
    Yes, this part will fit..
    You could probably get away with using the stock plastic collars, I've never heard of them breaking...
    And shimming eliminates the space that the teeth will use to skip. Since you would most likely adding only 1 or 2 could you get away with deleteing them, but since your in there already its a good idea
    EMBE BANDIT VXL SASSY CLOD RC10L RC18MT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Diff cases you mean, since gear box = transmission- rather important distinction.

For sure alloy cases and some shimming will be a bit stronger- how much depends on what you were breaking inside the diff exactly & how hard you are bashing- the spider gears will still wear out or strip teeth eventually with heavy use.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    I am, referring to the diff. case. I am currently breaking teeth on the large diff gear. (not the pinion)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    Diff cases you mean, since gear box = transmission- rather important distinction.

For sure alloy cases and some shimming will be a bit stronger- how much depends on what you were breaking inside the diff exactly & how hard you are bashing- the spider gears will still wear out or strip teeth eventually with heavy use.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's the ring gear, sounds like maybe the diff case is flexing or there is a bit too much slop, or both. Diff shimming guides:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod

Might be worth getting an alloy diff cup too, but there is no guaranty you wont still strip teeth- just make sure you get the case for new model emaxx ( 03/05/08 ), not the old 3906 as the bearing sizes are different.

RC Racer

Shims came with the Integy diffcases

But after making the diff stronger I`ve keep braking the original slipper ! But the robinson slipper will do the job

[I]The link to an on-line retailer has been removed. Please review Rule 11 of the Traxxas On-Line Community Rules, which prohibits the posting of links to on-line retailers.[/
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-08-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: merge & rule 11

Your links are going to get deleted rule #11 no links.. But metal spur & pinion. OOooo the pinion will wear in time. Did you fill the diff the rest on the way. It needs to be full, like in the link AOD gave you. Is anything stock on that truck anymore. Hehe Truck looks good...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    no the diff is not completely filled, there has to be some air in there and space to work

it is certainly my opinion

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Air will stop it from working properly- the oil/ grease is the only thing that should be inside the diff cup in order to control the diff action; if you introduce air then the viscosity is no longer constant and the diff action will become erratic.

Either fill it all the way, or just put a light coating of grease on the gears to lube them and leave the cup empty as such- diff action will be much 'stronger' as it were ( inside wheel will balloon much more when you turn sharply... I think it's the inside anyway )...