Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    No chance to really test the summit today. I did 2 15 minute break in sessions with the pinion off the motor at about 1/4 throttle, that was it. The place were at is a snowmobile trade show called Heydays and is flat as a board... its a farmers field with about 500 exhibitors... all snowmobile related... except this ONE company thats not snowmobile related but it may be familiar to some of you:

They were selling trucks and batteries and everything. My Hyper 10SC bit it on the RC track they have setup here (after 10 packs running against 1/8 truggies mind you) and I was pretty tempted to go buy a slash or slash 4X4... I held back though.

The minute I got home from the trip I swapped out to a 58t spur so my gearing is now 12/58 (same ratio as stock but the motor sits lower for lower COG... It was KSB who suggested this as per a tip he got elsewhere)

I cut the body posts, trimmed the body and dropped it down about a half inch or so... this is as low as it can go without trimming the cross braces on the front body mount. I cleaned out the motor and lubed it up and took it for a spin the back yard... it was like 11pm by this time and it was great. The lights work perfect but I do need to add the roof mounted light bar still.

Overall im very pleased with the truck and will hopefully get out for my first crawl tomorrow. I finally figured out how the T-Lock system works but I havent got the T-lock control unit traxxas is sending me to test with my MT4 radio. Until then the truck will remain stock.

Ill get some pics up of the lowered body later tonight.

The first time you crawl it you WILL be amazed! It's unbelliveble!
    My Summit summits.

Well... I FINALLY got a chance to take this thing out for a real test run. Man, do I ever like it... its ALMOST unstoppable. But... what I did find stops it pretty quickly is sticks. They get jammed into the suspension arms and the truck will stock dead. But, its not a big deal... theres just alot of sticks here I guess. Heres some pics from my first crawl... I went about 5km... drove for almost an hour and a half straight and went through a pair of 5200mah 2S and half a pair of 3000mah 7cell nimh packs... Once I get my 2nd set of 6000mah 2S packs back up and running ill be set for at least 2 hours of run time no problem.

Click the pics for a larger version in photobucket...
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 09-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.

RC Racer
    Pave: for what it's worth, I bought some 9000 mah LiPo and got tired running after 2.5 hours. Glad you like it. Sticks can be a pain.......agreed.
    3 summits 2 stampedes 1 Slash

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    ... It was KSB who suggested this as per a tip he got elsewhere...
    I believe elsewhere's name is "jamann."

Well... I FINALLY got a chance to take this thing out for a real test run. Man, do I ever like it... its ALMOST unstoppable. But... what I did find stops it pretty quickly is sticks. They get jammed into the suspension arms and the truck will stock dead. But, its not a big deal... theres just alot of sticks here I guess...
    Sticks stink. I was thinking of installing the mistercrash-style mudguards like on the rear arms of my ERBE, but they might cause more problems in reverse than they solve moving forward.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I believe elsewhere's name is "jamann."

Sticks stink. I was thinking of installing the mistercrash-style mudguards like on the rear arms of my ERBE, but they might cause more problems in reverse than they solve moving forward.
    Thanks ksb,i got the idea from Vongearstripper,It made sense and it did help i think,the truck didn't have as much torque twist and would settle a bit more predictably.I thought about tin skids for the bottom of the arms,But figured same as you likely cause more issues than it solves
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Welcome Pave!. I am visiting these forms after a while now, and I am very excited to see you here. I have learned a lot of stuff from you regarding Stampede/Rustler/Slash rigs. My first car was Rustler and is heavily modified, but also got a Summit last year, and they are completely different animals in the way I think, maintain, drive and enjoy them.

I agree that you reserve your summit for Trails etc. If you are a bit careful, the maintenance on summit is extremely low as compared to rustler/stampede. This low maintenance credit goes to both the way summit is driven, as well as how beefy the summit parts are.

Also, I know you love the simplicity of 2wd stampede, and i bet you will love to complexity of the summit. I feel its one of the most advance and complex RC machines (in stock from) out there, but the good part is that the complexity does not come in the way of durability because of the way one drives and enjoys this machine.

Have Fun.. and Thanks for the contributions that you have made to RC community. In fact, you getting into the Summit zone is going to be extremely beneficial for many Summit owner. Good Luck bro..

If you won't bash it I would buy a 8T pinion... They are available on _bay.
    My Summit summits.

Nice pic.. looks good.
    some nice terrain too..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I just put my house up for sale yesterday so life has been crazy lately but im hoping to get out this weekend for a bit of a run on some trails around my house. Im happy with the truck exactly as it is right now, gearing and everththing. High gear is high enough to spin the wheels and climb dirt hills where wheel spin is needed and low gear is low enough I can crawl at almost 0mph without any jerkyness to throw me off balance. Im still trying to figure out this link radio though. I cant imagine why traxxas would make a radio with so many features, then force you to go through all the menus and blinking lights just to use them. Why not just put a screen on it so I can see what im doing. My next project is going to be to try and get the summit to work with my Airtronics MT4 radio using the T-Lock program box from the older TQ4 summit... I think I can make it work using the DIG lever on my radio and a dual servo Y harness for steering.

Down the road I think a 14.4 dewalt motor will go in when (if) the titan dies and a good super torque servo will eventually find its way to replace the dual 2075's... but thats down the road. For now its fine the way it is.

RC Qualifier
    I couldn't agree more that the summit great right out of the box. It always cracks me up when people have to put a brushless system in it right away.

I'm curious if you can get your MT4 radio to work. Have you recieved the t-lock from traxxas yet?

Nope... no Tlock yet. But stuff always takes forever to ship from traxxas.

Move. South.

RC Qualifier
    I forget you are in Canada.

RC Racer
    I thought exactly the same thing about the radio and the flashing lights. Such a pain. I really don't understand when you spend close to $600 on a truck why they couldn't have thought that through a bit better. I too will be curious if you can get your other radio working.

Glad you like the truck. I have only ha mine a couple of months and can't seem to stop tinkering with it. I dropped down to a 12 t that works great with the mudslingers. I like the idea though of dropping the body down. I guess you could just stem el the posts down on an angle to clear the rockers? Did it make much of a difference for keeping the junk out?

Sorry for any typos....trying this thread and forum from my iPhone. Getting way too addicted.
    3 summits 2 stampedes 1 Slash

Got my MT4 Radio installed and working, put on the traxxas light bar (which is sweet), ordered a Futaba S9157 425oz servo for her. Ill be installing my Novak 2S smart stop and 5mm bullet connectors on the motor leads this week, otherwise its still "stock" and wont be getting any more massaging for a while.

Well... maybe a new "look" in a little bit. But ill update on that later.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    and 5mm bullet connectors on the motor leads this week
    I was going to mention the motor wires yesterday when we were looking at all the SPC toys, but forgot. Just cut the wires off close to the bullet connectors and solder them directly to the motor. No connectors = no problem.

RC Competitor
    Hi Pavmentsurfer!!! Welcome to our club!

Sorry this is kinda late and off topic but you were at the Snowbarrions Hay Days in Hayfield MN right? Good times there tons to see. I went there when I had a sled but it stopped snowing in Minnesota for some time and I sold it. Im sure it will snow for the next five years now...
    I really should be working.

You bet... I go every year. We have a display setup and I take down one of my RC trucks to run on the RC track they set up... We usually have our booth right behind the track. Its sweet. If you go next year make sure you come by the Supertrax/Snowtrax booth and say hi.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You bet... I go every year. We have a display setup and I take down one of my RC trucks to run on the RC track they set up... We usually have our booth right behind the track. Its sweet. If you go next year make sure you come by the Supertrax/Snowtrax booth and say hi.
    I will be there next year!

RC poster
    First post, just ordered my Summit today after days of agonizing what to get. I used to race locally in 80's on carpet with
    heavily modified 4 wheels drive, can't remember the brand. Got the bug to get back into RC after moving this month, have a large open field right outside my garage. Looking forward to just bashing around and some hill climbing. Already have the mod bug just reading up on everything. Oh yea, got the Blue one from Tower.

Greetings: Steve

Already have the mod bug

Didn't anybody tell you the White ones are faster & stronger..

Oh... thems are fighting words.

The interesting thing about the summit, at least from what ive been told and seen so far, is that it doesnt need upgrades really. There are some things you can do to improve its crawling capabilities and you can bling it up a bit... like... with $50 in blue screws (right tom... hehe)

But for the most part, leave it stock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... and you can bling it up a bit... like... with $50 in blue screws (right tom... hehe)
    It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome, Steve. Don't listen to the haters. The blue ones are the only ones that come stock with an illudium explosive space modulator that can be controlled from the Tx.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah, but yellow ones exhibit time travel capabilities once they hit 88 mph (which happens readily with their factory installed fusion power plant).

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Yeah, but yellow ones exhibit time travel capabilities once they hit 88 mph (which happens readily with their factory installed fusion power plant).
    They'd have to, just to catch up to the white ones.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The time travel feature does come in handy as a yellow Summit can travel back in time to see how far behind a white one is, so we know how long to wait in current time for the white-whale to catch up.

Fusion power plant.....what!!!!! i just went brushless now i gotta upgrade again to a unobtanium fusion reactor.
    Am I going to need caps for that.will i have to wear oven mitts and a tin foil hat to run it?......LOL
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Am I going to need caps for that.will i have to wear oven mitts and a tin foil hat to run it?......LOL
    Think Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz.

The old flux capacitor:
    DeLorean

Guys... YOU said to leave it stock... now all of a sudden youve added the traxxas time travel system and doing the "trade in program" for fusion power systems (BTW... I own a fusion and it aint so powerful)... now I feel duped into having a slow summit.

On the other hand I did just install a bulldozer style servo. Got the Futaba S9157 installed. Bolted straight in with NO mods. The hardest part was getting the wires for the 2 stock servos out. Servo saver bolted straight on also.

Then I took the time to solder on some 5mm Castle bullets onto the motor wires. Instead of using 4 sets I took the dual motor wires off and replacing them with a single Castle MMM wire and a single 5mm bullet. Then I soldered both wires from the ESC side into one single 5mm bullet so when I need to remove the motor it only has 2 connections. Looks MUCH cleaner also.

Heres some pics for those interested.

Looks like the bottom of the truck has seen some action.. looks good..

RC Qualifier
    How well did the two stock wires fit in the 5mm bullets?

RC Qualifier
    Wow, so clean under the hood! Nice work there keeping it all so tidy!

You may eventually go to a metal horn and bell crank,the stock tires should be ok but anything bigger it strips horns if you ask it to turn under load the servo turns, the horn not so much.when i was running the crushers(mind you they are huge and heavy)it was stripping horns pretty often then snapped a few arms of the bellcrank.went metal good since.sorry running a HV 767 *******
    servo.you may want to shim the saver with a washer or stretch the spring a bit to stiffen it.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

I was going to do the servo washer mod... I see that as being the next big weak point (you can have all the power you want but if the servo just flexs its not any good). I also figured at some point id have to go to a metal arm and steering arm... I think there is actually a single sided metal arm availiable isnt there? Id probably go that route. I need to make a cover for the open servo slot and get rid of the servo guard on that side. Ill get to that this week.

Thanks for the comments on the wiring. I hate messy wires. I actually cant stand the wiring on this truck. Its just all over the place. i feel like its vulnerable... but im sure its really not. The dual ESC side wires fit in the 5mm bullet no problem. The way I did it was to tin both wires, then pinch them with needle nose pliers and melt them both together... then put them in the bullet. Then Shrink them. Actually, they fit better than the Castle wires on the motor side. I have NO idea why traxxas would set this truck up with dual connectors for positive and negative... seems like a waste to me. But this was an easy fix.

i think the dual 550's were used with the evx 2 before,not sure on that one.I used the gh racing single sided arm and the horn was from them as well.piece of a cd case for a cover lasted 5 minutes before a small rock blew a hole in it so don't use that...LOL
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Went on a sweet trail hike today. A snowmobile trail near my office ive been wanting to run for a while. Its got alot of long rocky hills and a few nice rock outcroppings along the side. Spent about an hour going out and back (had to get home for dinner) but I took a detour down a rocky stream and found this great big open area with a HUGE cliff overlooking a swamp. Its got a waterfall down at the bottom on one side.... its just beautiful. I stopped for a bit there, then went home.

Heres some pics:

That last pic ended a little bad:

No harm no foul:

These are my favourite pics so far:

I got a few cool videos as well, they are uploading now and ill post them when they are done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast