RC Champion

first run after getting her back

I tried for my first run with my old Villain IV that I just got back after a couple of years. I repowered it with a system from an HPI E-Savage.. Its twin 550's with an esc.. Its not the ideal system as the esc isn't water cooled, but its only temporary until I decided on new power... The boat was fine for the first 10 seconds or so.. ( I did a complete range check which was fine) and then went into what I describe as spastic mode.. full thottle then full reverse with the props spinning from the right to the left.. all this in the middle of a large pond.. LOL I foolishly decided to use the stock AM radio while waiting for my new 2.4ghz system to show up.. I had to shut off the TX to get the boat to stop freaking out before it sunk.. Unfortunately I had to swim about 250 feet in murky pond water to retrieve it.. Not sure what the problem was but the boat is fine.. my biggest concern was the modified carbon prop setup.. Its very sharp and with the boat acting up, I had to carefully swim and push the boat to shore.. On a positive note.. The boat is surprisingly fast with these motors.. I can't wait for a proper test run.. with video of course..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

Traxxas Marshal
    Sounds like you need a rescue boat to retrieve your dead boat...or a fishing pole! (Swimming for an R/C is never a good idea, but I'm sure you know that.)

That's very odd. I've had something like that happen to me before. Eventually, it beached itself and I caught up to it on a kayak. My problem was a wet receiver, if I recall correctly.

At any rate, sounds like you should have a decent setup!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    I wish I had one.. I didn't plan on running the boat for the maiden on this pond. I usually go to another that is much shallower, but was too weedy to run in.. Unless you know someone who can cast 250 feet.. swimming was the only option... Everything was dry for the most part inside the boat.Got some water from running in reverse coming over the transom, but the issue was the radio.. someone was on the same frequency, but I don't know where they were.... I never run stock.. especially am.. but one time I did.. had a nice swim on a hot day.. LOL .... I'm hoping this setup works and I don't have to repower the boat.. twin brushless with esc's will get expensive.. I have enough projects as it is... The wife will not be happy... .

RC Champion
    Finally got the new 2.4ghz radio installed and took her for a quick test run yesterday before dark (and dinner) My wife actually let me bring the boat with us to dinner because we were near a nice lake that I could run the boat on. I didn't open it up at all especially after the last attempt. All went well.. I ran at about 1/3 throttle just to test the system for about a minute or two.. No leaks and everything worked perfectly. I would say I hit maybe 20mph on low throttle passes.. The boat should see around 30 or so top end.. fast enough for now.. just glad I was able to drive it back.My youngest (5) took a short video with the cell phone, but I can't download it..I want to do a proper test next week and make sure to have the camera with me as well.. full speed, hopefully it will be stable..

RC Enthusiast
    Glad to hear it worked this time around... oh.. my prop kit arrived today.. with turn fins...

RC Champion
    Zero 1.. I should have piggy backed a few things on your order.. I will definitely need something(trim tabs) to keep the boat from porpoising. Its smooth all the way to about 30 or so then its starts to bob up and down very quickly. makes it difficult to drive fast. I tried to level out the props, I'm sure thats the problem but I have them as high as they will go. I don't think lowering them is the answer as the front will plow into the water. I ran the boat yesterday before the monsoon rains came and everything works great.. very happy with the motor/esc combo and the way the boat performed other than the stability issue.. Zero 1.. I think you jinxed me.. bring your boat saturday to Tims.. I want to see how yours is setup...

RC Champion
    I dropped the drives down a good deal on tuesday to see what a difference they would make that way. I thought the boat would be slower, but quite the opposite. It was a noticeably faster and very smooth.. no bouncing at all.. Thanks Zero 1... I shot some video with my cell phone while driving. (don't recommend this!!!) and flipped the boat. thankfully it landed upright and close to shore. I would say it was hitting around 25 or so with the setup of twin HPI550's and lipo's... I wasn't running full throttle, maybe squeak out another 5 out of it..
    As of now the boat has been gutted. It going to be painted friday by one of our body guys at the dealership. Not sure what color he is going to use. He wants to surprise me.. LOL I will post some pictures when its done..

RC Champion
    Well, seems I had the last one of the boat this weekend. I had the hull painted bright yellow and reworked the water cooling system to accommodate the trim tabs and turn fins that I was going to install.. Ran a set of lipo's thru the boat and all was working pretty well.. Not the stream of water that I was used to seeing, but still pretty steady. On the second battery, The boat was going pretty well, but my daughter kept saying something smells funny. The boat was a good 100 feet away! when I got it closer to shore, I could smell a burning smell as well. Thought it was the lipo's, but after getting it stopped and the cover off, the motors were very hot, Hot enough to melt the new paint on the bottom of the hull.. Seems the water pickup tube got something caught in it.. that's the best I could tell.. I was planning on putting dual brushless motors in the boat anyway, now I don't have a choice... The boat was fine after the first battery pack, everything was nice an cool for the esc and batteries, the motors were only slightly warm..