Thread: Upgrade Diff ?

RC Racer

Upgrade Diff ?

I`m a little tired of hearing about Hybrid bulkhead with 1 / 8 diff and Unlimited Engineering diffs ...................... The Fastlane Machine 7075 cnc diff cup with Modified Traxxas gear packed into Integy diffcase hold as it should and cost far less!
    I ran my E-maxx very hard and with 1520 castle motor with 4 and 5 cells for a year now and have had no problems with this setup!

I will say that a Fastlane diff with shims are bulletproof

It's just my opinion, what are yours?

RC Qualifier
    I run Hot Bodies d8 diffs in my E-MAXX, inside an FLM Hybrid bulk, with FLM center shafts, and Losi XXL CVD outer driveshafts. Strongest driveline I could dream up. I run a 1518 (1800kv) Castle on 5-6s.

Here are the diffs I use, although these were going in my E-Slayer conversion, hence the RCM diff case instead of the FLM Hybrid Bulk...

Notice, there are spiral cut gears (4.30 ratio), and straight cut gears (3.31 ratio). The straight cuts are a closer ratio to our stock 2.85, and I believe, more reliable, due to not side loading the pinion bearings like the spiral cut are known to do.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    are the d8 diffs a direct fit if not what did you modify and can you give me some part numbers that maxx looks sweet

what did you use to shim the diffs
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-03-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    are the d8 diffs a direct fit if not what did you modify and can you give me some part numbers that maxx looks sweet
    The d8 diffs are a direct fit into FLM Hybrid bulkheads, not into the stock or stock style bulks.

Here is the build thread on that truck. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-Maxx-Again
    Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    what did you use to shim the diffs
    Might want to try quoting the person you are addressing the question to ( but don't quote the pictures )...

If you look in the various diff shimming threads ( see: useful links page ), you should find some answers there too, or just find some shims/washers that match the size of the bearings ( ID & OD & maybe 0.1-0.2mm thick ):

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...