RC poster

heres the dilemma....

while im sure its been asked before but did a quick search and didnt really find what i was looking for, so if there is already a thread, please post the link.

anyways ive got a merv, ive got an extra 3500kv vxl, and an extra vxl 3m esc. i did figure out what mounts i need and everything like that. what im looking for is if i go this route, but what gearing should i run? for the most part i just bash, about 50/50 on road, off road at the moment. most of it is just curiosity and will, regardless of what some may say, do it anyways. haha. id like to get in the mid 40's for speed, or more. i have 2 2s lipos as it is. my other question is how will the vxl 3m esc hold up? ive seem pics and vids of the stock esc being run with the larger vxl, and at the same time ive read that it wont hold up. i definatly want to upgrade the esc in the future, preferably to the lrp nexxt 4x, but at the moment dont have the money for it. i think thats it...any help would be great! thanks a lot

RC poster
    I just did a bb in my merv and was looking for the same answer, never got one. So right now I have stock tires and have it 23/50 with 2s my temps have been around 120. it is cooler here with the season change. I will say I am impressed with it its a blast.

hope this helps you a bit.

RC Champion
    Stock (23/50) gearing with the 3500 will be good for 23 mph with a heap more torque

28/45 would be good for 30 mph

3500 is capable of making double the power of the 380 (100 amps vs 50 amps)

Smaller ESC will struggle to handle the power

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    I would recommed you start with stock gearing and see how it performs, though i can guarantee you will be able to gear for more speed.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that 1/16 esc isn't capable of handling the 1/10 motor.....

RC poster
    alright so what about this. ive got an esc fan on the way, what if instead of going big block i get a couple 3s lipos? i prefer the cheaper clone brands (my 2s lipos are *******s). how much more of a speed/power gain will i get from that? also gearing wise what would i want? something that would give me good bottom and low end power. and lastly will my esc, even with a fan heat up to much??

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Stock (23/50) gearing with the 3500 will be good for 23 mph with a heap more torque

28/45 would be good for 30 mph

3500 is capable of making double the power of the 380 (100 amps vs 50 amps)

Smaller ESC will struggle to handle the power

Cheers
    hate to argue but just checked my stock merv it is 28/50 and in the bag all new and sealed is the "high speed" pinion it is a 23t..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the stock esc, is rated for 3s, but it is marginal at that point.... it might work, it might not......

3s is puttign a lto of strain on the esc.... the esc is a switch..... you wouldn't plug in an appliance that pulls 15 amps into an outlet rated for 10 amps.... it will fry, or trip the circuit breaker (although your rc doesnt have a circuit breaker).... --- and not work.....

RC poster
    ahh i was hoping it could handle it. well then i guess i should upgrade the esc then. ive had my eye on the lrp nexxt 4x for a bit now. all the write ups ive read have been very positive. but im wondering if there is anything else out there a little cheaper? and waterproof/water resistance is a must. i plan on running a lot this winter at my ski mountain. unless someone makes an undertray for the merv, but i havent found one yet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Theres no undertray, but Tbone make a full skidplate for it that would help it slide over the snow much easier than than the stock chassis.

I know Venom makes an ESC thats waterproof and could handle the VXL motor... im not sure if anyone else does... but the castle ESC's are water resistant and ive had great luck running them in the snow as long as you blow them off with compressed air really well after... they wont warranty it, but if you call they WILL tell you there water resistant...

RC poster
    by under tray i meant over tray,haha something like this....http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=314

i might be able to make something but id have to spend a day or 2 tinkering.

RC poster
    i think i figured out what im gunna do. ill resell the 3500vxl (anyone interested?!?!) and pick up one of these packages...http://www.thetoyz.com/Brushless-Ele...eations/14702/. most write ups ive read have been very good. anyone else have any insight. again what im looking for is more speed and cooler temps...and staying relatively water proof/resistant.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the packages everyone esells are a joke, the reason being, is you could buy both pieces individually, way cheaper than the so called packages.....

also you are not allowed to post links to stores here on the forum, although you are allowed to speak of a certain product from a certain store

that motor and esc combo would probably be better than stock

i run the castle creations mamba max pro, and the stock motor, will be going to a big block soon.....

there are videos on youtube by a guy names squirell that shows how to waterproof your system, it will void a warranty, but all my stuff is modded anyways, if i fry something, i will replace it with something better

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I just got done testing the 4600kv 4 pole castle system and IMO it draws too many amps for most 1/16 size lipo packs. My 20C SPC pack couldnt keep up...

On the other hand, the 3800 4 pole combo seems to work great in my MERV.... im sure I could gear down a bit, but then the speeds would drop. I found with teh same gearing, same battery the 3800 was actually faster and would wheelie MUCH easier... oddly enough.

RC poster
    oops, sorry about the links. ha, should have known. really im just trying to get ideas on what to get. by all means if i can get an esc, BB combo for under $130 then please show me because i cant find it. i guess i should lay out what i want as far as performance, that way i can gauge, for one if its possible, and two how much im looking at spending. again water proof is relatively important, im working on an over tray at the moment and if i can hit 50mph and stay cool with 20+minute runtimes id be thrilled. now if you havent yet been able to tell im pretty new with electric rc's, ive owned a couple nitros so this is new for me. id like to stay as cheap as possible, but still get quality products. i know about the knock off brand brushless systems and im a little iffy on them just because i havent heard a whole lot about them, so if anyone knows any write ups or first hand experience on them let me know and ill definatly check them out. also if my wants are wayyyy off again just let me know.

RC poster
    Oh and I have the 3500kv vxl so if you think that, combined with a nice esc would get me what I'm looking for that would be sweet! Then it would be a matter or gearing and batteries.