RC poster

Bullet Connectors on the Motors... Why?

Hi, everyone.

First off, let me just say that I started in this hobby in 1992 with a Kyosho USA-1 and a Traxxas Blue Eagle LS (the LS, of which, I have lovingly restored as best I can... and now beefing up it's original tranny with all metal gears to let it take brushless). I was out of the hobby for a long time, but am trying to get back into it.

Anyways, I'm a bit confused about something. Why is it that Traxxas now supplies these high-quality, high-efficiency (and expensive) high-current battery to ESC connectors with all of its vehicles and goes on and on about how efficient they are, but then they turn around and ruin the efficiency gains by using those those cheap-looking silver bullet connectors between the ESC and the motor on some vehicles? I mean, it just doesn't make sense to me. Are those silver bullet connectors really anywhere near as efficient as the Traxxas high-current connectors? It just seems to go against everything I remember about connectors from back when I used to drive my Eagle LS.

RC Qualifier
    The stamped bullet connectors are for brushed motors, probably only pulling about 10-15A/150-200W per motor at most, so there isn't a lot of heat build up, or much voltage drop through the little bullets, and the high current connectors are overkill, but the same for brushless setups. Now a brushless setup that can pull 10 times that current and wattage is a different story, that is the real reason for the battery connectors, the ESC to brushless motor connectors are gold plated solid bullets that have little resistance.

I got back into it myself after 15 years of being out of it. Used to be hot stuff if you upgraded your mechanical speed control, and had a setup that did 30mph on 10 amps, provided you had NiCd packs that could handle it. The new brushless motors can pull 4,000W, programmable ESCs can handle a couple hundred amps, along with LiPo Batteries that can keep up, 60+MPH is usually more a matter of just swapping gears om a stock setup than spending hundreds in upgrades.
    Last edited by alucard0822; 11-05-2011 at 05:17 PM.

RC poster
    Thank you for the reply! Yes, I remember those old 3-speed mechanical speed controllers, which used to come with everything. I also remember Maxcell 1400mAh SCR batteries (the Sanyo cells with the red labels) coming out and replacing the yellow-labeled 1700 SCE's as "high-end" batteries. I was about 16 years old then... now I'm 33.

Maybe Traxxas just went over-kill on the battery connectors for the brushed kits, so as just allow them to keep just one type of connector on the batteries and completely do away with the old Tamiya-stye ones. I personally think the Traxxas high-current connectors (although very, very nice) are way too expensive and I prefer Anderson PowerPole connectors.

I must admit that I'm excited at the prospect of putting some of these newer batteries and maybe a VXL in my Eagle LS. Turns out the tranny gears are pretty much the exact same thing as what's used now... almost 20 years later... in the Rustler VXL's, with the only difference being that they're made of metal instead of plastic and send power out through slightly more beefy U-joints.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The reason they use the same TRX battery connector on all ESC's is so that they only have to stock ONE type of RTR battery to go in every kit... fewer part numbers overall. A brushed XL5 could easily still get away with a Tamiya style (molex) connector for the battery... but then the RTR batteries that come with a brushed kit would not be useable with a brushless upgrade.

As for the motor... I HATE those stamped steel bullets on brushed motor leads. They suck... but they work and the kits are cheap so its hard to complain really. I know lots of people who replace them with proper high current bullet connectors or even another style of plug connector like a Deans or other.... I replaced them on my summit with 5.5mm gold bullets simply for ease of removal. But the crappy steel ones were causing any problems. Just hard to pull apart.

RC Champion
    I have replaced the cheapie bullet connectors on my kids' Pedes with TRX high current connectors. I solder them on the esc and the Titans. I have noticed that they tend to run better doing this also.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Well the exteme racers don't use connectors at all. Solder straight to batter and to motor. So to charge the battery they have unsolder from the esc wires.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    I have replaced the cheapie bullet connectors on my kids' Pedes with TRX high current connectors. I solder them on the esc and the Titans. I have noticed that they tend to run better doing this also.
    I plan to do the same but with CC bullets. Trying to make everything the same so I could "swap" arround enectronics. Most of what I have has TRX HC connectors on the battery end and CC 4mm bullets on the other end. I left the stock 3.5mm on the VXL stuff but picked some 3.5 to 4mm adaptors (both m to f and f to m)
    Pay It Forward.

RC poster
    I ran into problems last night while trying to solder the 10-gauge battery leads of my 150A brushless ESC to TRX high-current connectors. I believe the TRX HC connector housings are only big-enough for a 12-gauge wire jacket.

Oh well, looks like I'll either have to splice/solder some 12-gauge wire onto the 10-gauge leads to make use of my existing TRX HC connectors, or else buy some "real", gold-plated bullet connectors. Guess I'd go with 5.5mm bullets if I choose the later route. But, I'm curious, do the MM bullets come with some kind of insulation jackets to keep adjacent bullets from shorting each other out? Seems silly if you have to cut wires to different lengths just to avoid the possibility of adjacent bullets coming in contact with each other.

Oh, and why the heck is Traxxas editing-out the name of the manufacturer of my ESC?

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words or websites to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cenoleviathan View Post

Oh, and why the heck is Traxxas editing-out the name of the manufacturer of my ESC?

I think it's mainly because they sell cheap knock-offs of the TRX connectors.

I noticed you want to put steel gears in your LS to handle brushless. FWIW, I've run VXL systems in my LS_II and SRT with the delrin and aluminum gears an never had a problem. The plastic idler seemed to be the weak link in the trans., Just use the aluminum idler and you should be fine. No need to add all that extra weight and noise to a real Traxxas racing truck.

RC poster

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words or websites to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    I respect this policy, but why edit out "certain" company and web site names and not others? Traxxas is the manufacturer for which this forum is managed by and based on, sure. But, obviously Traxxas and Traxxas-adaptable parts and accessories are also made by other manufacturers and companies, as well. I just don't see how removing the name of my particular ESC's manufacturer and or web site URL helps hobbyists any. I can certainly understand that this is LARGELY due to certain companies producing knock-off products, but that's what happens when you send manufacturing out of the country. My own job went overseas 2 years ago, which is why I had to get out of the hobby for a time.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, as I do understand the threat of other countries stealing ideas, but when you go globalized that's just something you have to learn to live with. Censorship is not the answer. )

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I think it's mainly because they sell cheap knock-offs of the TRX connectors.

I noticed you want to put steel gears in your LS to handle brushless. FWIW, I've run VXL systems in my LS_II and SRT with the delrin and aluminum gears an never had a problem. The plastic idler seemed to be the weak link in the trans., Just use the aluminum idler and you should be fine. No need to add all that extra weight and noise to a real Traxxas racing truck.
    Yep! At the moment I do have an aluminum idler gear along with the Delrin gears in my LS transmission, but I just figured why take a chance? Once I found out the gears were the same between the Rustler and the LS I just opted to try and make it bulletproof, so I ordered some metal gears. But, I haven't put them in yet, as I have way too many R/C projects going on right now... with converting my 3903 E-Maxx to brushless and using monster 7" LST tires being my primary project.

I had already done away with the ball-diff years ago in favor of a planetary, as way back then I remember one of Traxxas' top racers himself switching to the planetary diff and continuing to win races. Back then I was running my LS with a Mega 360 motor and then later, with a Sapphire 17T Single brushed modified. I don't recall if I ever had a lot of trouble with the plastic idler, but I do remember snapping the plastic drive yokes frequently and back then I just couldn't afford a nice set of CVD's, or the nice, metal Traxxas yokes. I remember instead having trying to fix my broken yokes again and again using model cement glue. Needless to say, the model cement glue tactic didn't work very well. :P

I must admit I'm quite jealous that you have both the LSII and the SRT. I've always wanted those two vehicles! It's my opinion that Traxxas should re-release the venerable, vintage SRT and TCP and just give them the "current" metal gears and VXL system. It could be their "high-end luxury" version of the Rustler and Bandit VXL. LOL!

The thing is, I don't imagine it would really be that hard for Traxxas to actually start producing these two vehicles once again, with only minor changes to the originals... but I don't think Traxxas will ever do it. I know that another company (who's name I wont name, since it will just be asterisked-out) has had tremendous success re-releasing their vintage vehicles.

I, for one, would jump on an opportunity to buy a re-released SRT kit. Heck, maybe then I'd even be able to find an original LS, LSII, SRT polycarb body to go with my existing LS (finding a new, unused, unpainted LS body is like trying to find a Leprechaun).

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cenoleviathan View Post
    I just don't see how removing the name of my particular ESC's manufacturer and or web site URL helps hobbyists any.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, as I do understand the threat of other countries stealing ideas, but when you go globalized that's just something you have to learn to live with. Censorship is not the answer. )
    That particular company sells knock-off versions of the traxxas connectors ( unlicensed ), so they block the company name from being posted.

This is true^^^

We do not ban people based on wind direction. And we don't mind if you have a questions about rules, but do it over PM with a mod. Do not do it on the public forum or you will receive warning points. We only issue points and ban if you break our CLEARLY POSTED rules.

-3_rolls

9. No pointless complaining, moaning, and whining. This mostly applies to the operation and moderation of the online community. Members will be banned, threads removed, and so on based on the clearly defined rules. Publicly bemoaning the operation of the community and the way the rules are enforced will not put you in good favor with the moderators. If you have a legitimate concern or suggestion, PM a moderator or send a message to forum@traxxas.com.
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 11-11-2011 at 06:44 PM.

I for one, love to see vintage Traxxas vehicles running. I am currently rebuilding an early T-Maxx with some new goodies on it.
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

RC poster
    Does anybody know how to take off the stock motor leads on the traxxas titan motors. Are they soldered on, or can u just pull or cut them off to replace them?

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleBuilderGuy View Post
    Does anybody know how to take off the stock motor leads on the traxxas titan motors. Are they soldered on, or can u just pull or cut them off to replace them?
    Holy old thread Batman!

They should be soldered on.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleBuilderGuy View Post
    The leads are soldered on, so they should be soldered off. New leads should be soldered on.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Holy old thread Batman!

Meh... At least his question is relevant and he is not trying to give advise to people who haven't logged in for 9 years...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Holy old thread Batman!

Dude, you yourself have 3 times as many posts to your name as the entire subject of TRX-4 on the Traxxas forums.

How is that even possible?
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    Dude, you yourself have 3 times as many posts to your name as the entire subject of TRX-4 on the Traxxas forums.

Answering a lot of questions since 2003. Plus, Alley posts do not count so his (ours as well) is greater than what is under our name.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Answering a lot of questions since 2003. Plus, Alley posts do not count so his (ours as well) is greater than what is under our name.
    I have been posting since my join date consistently, I mean on every post that I am qualified enough to post on and I'm not even at 200 posts. Literally any free time I have in class I respond to as many posts as possible. I applaud you guys for your effort!

Just reading things that other people talk about will give you a little experience with some things. Sometimes enough to know what you're talking about. But having read your experience isn't nearly the same as learning hands on.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Just reading things that other people talk about will give you a little experience with some things. Sometimes enough to know what you're talking about. But having read your experience isn't nearly the same as learning hands on.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    I totally agree with you, I do work on my E-revo 2.0, Rustler, Fiesta Rally, and 1/16 E-revo quite a bit. I'm always open to learning more, I quite enjoy listening to everyone's experiences actually. Of course, live any person, I make mistakes and have problems but it is always good to learn from these experiences whether if be from myself or others.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post

LOL, a lot of time and typing. These forums did more for my typing speed and accuracy than any computer class I ever took. The forums used to be a lot more active, so I had more questions to answer and more discussions to have. The bulk of my post count likely comes from between early 2006-mid 2008, when I was the most active on here. And having experience with so many different models, I had lots of posting potential. Nowadays, things have slowed down quite a lot, which is unfortunate. I always have enjoyed on-line forums, and still believe that they're one of the best ways to get and share info.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle