RC Racer

Ever solder traxxas connectors to thick gauge wire?

My new ******* 5800 lipos for the summit came without connectors so I've been trying to solder traxxas connectors on them. First off forget about using a dinky 30 watt gun, I had to go out and get a 120 which is way more effective, or just plain effective rather, but still I'm having a real hard time, the gauge is huge, thick like a pencil, and the trx tabs are so small and the back of the connector is smaller than the wire. Then even after getting two wires attached and heat shrieked, they still managed to make a small spark being so close together inside the connector, having such a large guage wire. Im sure this has been done many times here, is there a preferred certain way?

RC Qualifier
    i have the same batteries and i will say that i soldered them on to the tabs then i took a file and filed down the outside. i also used liquid tape and put all over the solder joint. this has worked good for me. I have had the batteries for over a year and they still work great.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Racer
    Liquid tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
    Liquid tape?
    I use liquid tape on all of mine now just to keep dirt moisture out plus some extra insulation.the large gauge wire is a pain.if it's not perfect the blade doesn't go all the way in,i like the file idea.i guess thats why some people prefer deans.I like the traxxas connecters myself,but the big gauge wire does make them akward
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ive only done it once... but when I ran into a similar problem I striped the battery wire a little further down than needed... cut off about 1/2 (in my case the wires were HUGE) of excess wire strands, then tinned the wire, attached it to the TRX connector and covered anything exposed with shrink. Cutting off some extra strands essentially made the wire a smaller gauge at the point of solder so it fit into the connector.

EC5 connectors for large gauge wires, if possible.. & a big soldering iron..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Can I use liquid hockey tape? That's all I can seem to find around here.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So long as it's non-conductive ( google plasti-dip ).

Also:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=thicker+wires

There are numerous threads about this kinda issue; the search button is an awesome thing....
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Ive only done it once... but when I ran into a similar problem I striped the battery wire a little further down than needed... cut off about 1/2 (in my case the wires were HUGE) of excess wire strands, then tinned the wire, attached it to the TRX connector and covered anything exposed with shrink. Cutting off some extra strands essentially made the wire a smaller gauge at the point of solder so it fit into the connector.
    That's exactly what I did to 4 ******* 5000mah hard-case lipos a year ago and all 4 have worked flawlessly. 2 went to a friend and have been pushed to extremes as he likes the speed runs and that draws massive on the electronics. Had no probs with connections.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear