Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Competitor

Newbie seeking help!!

I have a couple of questions and would be appreciated if i could get some help.

I have just bought an old e-maxx of ebay but I do not know what model it is and I have asked the original owner and he doesn’t know he only knows that it was the one where they just started fitting the Novak speed control. I need to know as I need to order a few parts and wanted to know if it was the extended chassis or not.

He also says that he has upgraded the motors to 550 size, the car came without a charger, I will be upgrading the car to brushless within time and I am thinking of buying the Hobbywing Xerun 4274 2000kv, 150a combo. Would I be able to buy lipo batteries and a charger and use them on the car until I buy the xerun? If not what charger is best to buy (cheap one) till I get the new motor combo?

Also I know I am going to run the car rough and was wondering what upgrades I should make to the frame first? Alloy shock towers? Alloy a-arms? Or what??

Please help a very enthusiastic future e-maxx user. Cheers to all!!

not sure if this link will work but this is the car i have bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1905938597...84.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-07-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    you have a 3906
    no its not an extended chassis
    its going to need parts before going brushless
    you can run lipos(2s) as of right now but just be throttle safe(dont just gun it you may break parts)
    the link helped alot
    there is not much of a suggestion on a cheap charger right now i am using a hitec x4 ($164 i think) that charges nimh lipo life pb and i think another one but i dont know
    do you know lipo safety?
    Last edited by davidemaxx; 11-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    my life sucks

RC Competitor
    Cheers David, thaks for the help. What i dont want to do is pay out now on stuff that i will not need once i have upgraded. So let me see if i am right if i buy a lipo 2s battery would i just use one battery for now with the motors i already have? Then buy a 3s when i get the new motor combo. You have also answered a question that i was going to ask if i can get a charger that will work on the batteries i already have the use it on lipos when i get them. Just to know what parts would brake if i did gun it? Just to see if i should get them now too. Nope dont know much about lipo safety? what should i know?
    Thanks again!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What the heck motors did he install on that poor old thing; the original motors were also 550 sized 23turn traxxas titans so... heh.

Anyway, here is your one-stop shop for advice & links to upgrade your old 3906 to make it more modern & durable, and capable of handling BL & lipo power:

EMAXX 3906 UPGRADE GUIDE

Other useful guides:

Emaxx 101:
    EMAXX FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

Any specific questions that aren't covered in those guides, just ask

Quote Originally Posted by Rx7_Dez View Post
    Cheers David, thaks for the help. What i dont want to do is pay out now on stuff that i will not need once i have upgraded. So let me see if i am right if i buy a lipo 2s battery would i just use one battery for now with the motors i already have?
    No, you require a matching pair of 2s lipos ( 25-40c 5000mah or there abouts ).

Then buy a 3s when i get the new motor combo.
    Nope again; most BL systems will run on either 2x2s ( 4s ) or upto 2x3s ( 6s )- not a single 2s or 3s pack for a truck this size usually.

You have also answered a question that i was going to ask if i can get a charger that will work on the batteries i already have the use it on lipos when i get them.
    What charger do you have, if any? 99% of modern lipo chargers will also charge nimhs and nicads etc, but that is somethign to spend some time researching ( hint- tutorials page ).

Just to know what parts would brake if i did gun it?
    You'll kill the tranny, diffs, driveshafts... pretty much the whole drivetrain is feeble on the old emaxx if you try pushing it all that much

Just to see if i should get them now too. Nope dont know much about lipo safety? what should i know?
    Thanks again!!
    There is LOTS to know about lipo usage- read the guides about lipos & lipo charging in the Tutorials page
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-07-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: merge
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Competitor
    Thanks AoD, i did actually read the 3906 upgrade before i posted but it tells you how to do the whole upgrade in one, it doesn't say what to change first and where to go from there, if you dont have the cash to do it all at once. So if i should order now 2x2s lipos, a aftermarket tranny, diffs and drivehsaft would i be ok with that to then wait until i upgrade the motors?
    Maybe i should have just asked everyone i have an extra 100 pounds to spend on upgrading what would you spend it on. Considering that i will keep upgrading. I will read through the lipo safety stuff now and find out what to do and what not to do.
    Cheers for your time and help.

RC Racer
    Ages ago I broke the rear drive shafts so I took the ones off the front and put them on the back. The truck actually runs really well as rear-wheel drive so I never bothered replacing the broken shafts. Included are some spare drive shafts but not enough to fully replace the broken ones.

you need new driveshafts first of all.
    then you need to find out what motors those are
    Last edited by davidemaxx; 11-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    my life sucks

RC Competitor
    I know, i have already orderd a second hand set off ebay and a set of shock towers too. I would buy a new set of steel ones but if I widend the a-arms I would have to replace them so not sure what to do there either. As i am new to this although i read the guides it still seems to be all quite confusing considering i havent even seen the truck yet. But i do respect the help you guys are giving me. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I would really focus on extending the chassis and widening the arms beause if you go brushless you will have your hands full with a very fast but unstable truck. I dont know if anyone mentioned this but you can run lipos on that novak but it doesnt have a low voltage detection

RC Competitor
    Thanks Mayhem, this is what i am reading into now and was the help i was looking for. Now can I extend a-arms, drive shafts and then extend the chassis later? Would i need anything more than just that to widen it? As soon as i get the truck ill find out what motors its running and see if its worth getting some liops for it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wouldn't focus on extending anything at this point- that wont help one little bit when the drive train is shredded after 5 minutes.

The thing about the upgrade guide is, you do kinda need to do all of it at once

Start with driveshafts ( which may also include the knuckles & turnbuckles if you use new emaxx driveshafts or cvds ), then the internal tranny gears ( idlers ), then you can worry about a longer/different chassis and other non-drivetrain parts ( things like bulks, towers, skids, different wheels etc etc ).

If you actually study the upgrade guide carefully it explains about how to widen the truck with the new emaxx parts; offset wheels help with that too. There are no extended a-arms though, the new and old ones are the same length, just have a little extra clearance for the fatter driveshafts on the new emaxx.

There is only one off-the-shelf chassis extension too ( UE mono-block ) which is hard to get hold of and costs ~$80; would be silly to bolt that to the stock 3906 chassis so it makes more sense to use a whole aftermarket chassis, like the FLM or XtremeRacing ones. The issue then is that you might as well buy the newer versions for the new emaxx tranny to bolt to, rather than be stuck with the old tranny still which is hard to upgrade much...

RC Competitor
    Ok Aod i am going to order the drive shafts today but from what i can see there are some for 3905 and some for 3908. Can you let me know which ones you suggest i get.

These last ones seems smaller than the others and i want it to be wider and more stable, but i have put them there just in case.

About the internal tranny gears, what ratio should i get? And i saw in the emaxx fax that the 3906 has 2 spped unit what do i do with that? And a quick questions as i can see you are based in UK, do you know of any decent sites apart from ebay to get cheap parts from.

Cheers

The link to an on-line retailer has been removed. Please review Rule 11 of the Traxxas On-Line Community Rules, which prohibits the posting of links to on-line retailers.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 3903, 3905 & 3908 all use the same driveline parts ( same truck, just different esc/motors/radio )- you can use any of those; you must however also upgrade to the new emaxx style knuckles & turnbuckles.

The first ones only work on the old 3906 with the old knuckles and turnbuckles- no good if you upgrade to the newer style parts which make the truck wider.

The last ones only work with the stock 3906 chassis - they are the centre driveshafts.

If you are upgrading to BL power then you won't have much use for the 2 speed kit, BL has more than enough torque in 2nd gear. You really need to consider what the guide and FAQ says about the 3906 tranny internals; you can only upgrade the small idler gears, it is impossible to upgrade the bottom output gears- you can only buy spare stock parts.

That's why I said you need to think carefully about any future chassis upgrade- it may well be better for you to buy a new emaxx compatible chassis ( 03/05/08 ) and grab a new emaxx tranny from ebay, that way you have the much stronger driveline and tranny with no needs for impossible to buy upgrades ( you're about 3-5 years too late... ).

As far as where to buy parts, the 3906 parts are hard to come buy anywhere outside of the USA really ( American truck, go figure )- ebay is the best place really. New emaxx parts can be had from a few UK retailers, but you will pay a premium and only be able to get the individual parts- it is far easier and cheaper usually to go to ebay so you can buy complete sets of parts like driveshafts and diffs etc ( as per the upgrade guide explanation ).

We can't post links to retailers on the forum, so your best bet to find retailers is on my website- look on the useful links page for a massive list of vendors in various countries.

At this point I would stop and ask yourself if you are really prepared to spend a lot of time and money upgrading the 3906 to make it BL ready and durable, or whether you would be better off selling it an going with a good condition used 3903/05 and simply dropping a BL system into it, with no other upgrades really needed ( besides metal hex adaptors ). Otherwise keep the emaxx brushed and just make a few choice upgrades for durability...
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 11-08-2011 at 10:32 AM.

RC Competitor
    Yea i am starting to realize that you are right about selling it and getting a newer model. What i will do is fix the one i have just bought use it for a while make some small mods then sell it on. At least i get a bit of training with a slower car for a while and get used to rc as i havent used one for about 25 years, back in the Tamiya Hornet days.... Thanks for your help and i will keep studying the faxs about what minor changes to do to it, and keep you posted. Thanks again! Dez

Hey AoD, i got a guy that would swap a revo 3.3 for my emaxx, would it be cheaper to convert a new nitro revo to brushless?

P.s. sorry for being a pain!!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-08-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: merge

You could, or just sell the Revo and get a MAxx. Just make sure he knows its the old 3906, and assume that the Revo dosn't run or has some problems because thats not really a good trade for him unless he assumes that its a 3908.
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Competitor
    Not sure what he asumes it is but i have sent him pictures etc and he still wants to change, he says that his car runs fine and has no problems! I am negotiating with him now to exchange.. Cheers PttM

update, i have just been told that it s a revo 2.5 converted to a 3.3? Is there much difference between the 2.5 and the 3.3 apart from the engine? Cheers
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-09-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Longer chassis and larger engine, but no real differences that I'm aware of- you can always compare the exploded views and parts lists for the 2.5 vs 3.3 revo to be certain though ( tranny might be the only real difference but nitro is not my thing ).

Converting a revo to BL can be a fairly simple job as there are a few kits about ( teknorc and rc-monster sell all the parts required ) & the only real mod required is to lock the nitro tranny into 2nd gear, very simple really and you end up with a better truck for sure..

Dosn't the Revo 2.5 use old spec shafts/stuff or is that just the Maxx 2.5?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just the 2.5 maxx- all the revos have the new style knuckles & drive shafts. Only slight different between a 2.5 and 3.3 revo driveline is the size of one of the bearings on the knuckle, ( newer revos have a slightly larger inner or outer bearing diameter ) but that's a non-issue.

RC Competitor
    Ok cheers guyz, i am going to swap trucks with him anyway. I only have one problem now, i cant seem to find the cvd's for the e/tmaxx 3096, i can only seem to find the wide version ones for it, what would i have to change to put the newer bigger cvd's on it as i can see i need the turn buckles, is there anything else? What else would i have to change. i cant believe this as there was a set on ebay that i was going to bid on and didn't in the end as i was going to update it all. Please help!!!
    Thanks again!!

On ebay, type in E-Maxx 3906 CVDs and you get plenty of hits.

RC Competitor
    yea i am in Spain so i get a lot less results than you being in United States, i noly get these back from Taiwan which would take tooooo long to arrive. Traxxas E-Maxx 14.4v model 3906 CVD Shafts FCR _ Axle. And they work out to be around 50$ so i am sure i would be better of to widen it while i am at it.. Thanks again PttM

RC Competitor
    Is the 3903 the extended chasis?

Yes, its the long chassis/wide A-Arms.

RC Competitor
    Ok and if i got one that does not have an extended chassis what would i need to do to get it to have the extended chasis and what would the total price be?

It depends. WOuld you just use stock 3903 parts or would you upgrade to aluminum bulks, chassis, towers, shocks, ect? Do you just want an extended chassis, or do you want full 3903 spec (all shafts, tranny, diffs, wide arms, ect)?

IF you are going to do something like AOD's G-maxx with aluminum chassis, aluminum bulks, LST or UE diffs, shocks, a full mod could cost $2000+ and just the extended chassis stuff could cost $200-$300.

IF you are going to use all stock 3903 spec, you would be close to the cost of a new 3903, depending of if you went with parts from Traxxas, or from ebay. or if you are just doing the chassis, ~$100.

Depending, you could just buy a 3903/5/8 roller from Ebay and swap in the 3906 electronics. Many options
    Last edited by PowerToTheMaxx; 11-15-2011 at 05:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Hi again,

I have decided to sell the 3906 as i have just bought a 3908 brushless . I have a guy that wants to buy it already but i have a couple of problems that i would like to ort out on it before selling it. For some reason when the car brakes it turns to the right, the car drives straight and turns fine etc etc but like i said if i try to brake hard it just goes to the right and if i brake hard it has even rolled. Does anyone know what that could be? The truck is still only rear wheel drive, could that make a difference?

Also one of the motors doesn't seem to be working, they both get hot and the car seems to be pretty quick but when I disconnect them from the spur only one motor turns!! Even if I wire up the motor direct that doesn't seem to work only the other motor spins! Does that mean that the motor is dead? If so can they be fixed or do I need to buy a new one?

Thanks all!!

RC Racer
    you need to buy new motors i say motors because if one goes out the other is not far behind it
    my life sucks

Ya, if the motor dosnt turn then its dead. Its getting hot because of the high IR that is created when the brushes fail. These are verry easy to flip when braking from high speed. RWD dosn't help, and that is probally one source of your right turn problem.

the '06s have pretty weak steering servos and servo savers, so that would be the source of most of that, I imagine.

I would replace the titans either with new titians or a single KD 700-HO and the other two problems are fairly normal. Maybe include parts to convert back to 4WD and a new motor(s). How much u selling for?

RC Competitor
    Hiya PttM, Yes well I opened the motor and some of the coiling had come loose, so i coiled it up again and it works for now but i cant see it lasting very long. I have ordered turnbuckles, drive shafts, and knuckles to make it wider BUT now that i have the 3908 i can see that the a arms are different length!! Army of Darkness mentioned that the a arms were the same size but it doesn't seem to be that way. Also in the upgrade guide it doesn't seem to mention anything about upgrading the a arms to make it wider! I have it up for sale for 180€, but i have just put a new battery in it also which cost me 35€, and changed the broken suspension tower. I bought a pack of parts that i will include with it too (towers, dust covers, body mounts, gears, etc etc.

Been testing the 3908 and it is a lot more stable than 3906 but I thought it was going to be quicker than what it is. I am only running 8.4 nimh for now but still would be surprised if it goes 35mph. Well i will get some practice in with it anyhow and as soon as i sell the other emaxx i will try some 6s lipo´s on it and see then.

Merry Christmas to all!!