Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Can a moderator please remove my thread/ reply from OP thread. I apolagize ...no idea how I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunch View Post
    "My Ideas always work sometimes"

What up guys, Been a MINUTE since ive done an update, and sad to say the Rustler has never hit the road yet.. Not because of any break between myself and the hobby but because of focus in other places... Such as.....

Building a workshop...

All new Electronics on my Pede. MMP esc, Tekin Pro4 motor, and Some Ultra high powered Servos...

And last but not least, My ladies Pede.. Which is almost done....

And my new 1/16 Rally, which I am just getting started on, now that I got all parts, and just need to wait for bearings to arrive, along with springs.

BUT.... Great new.... I got something real big for the Rusty, to make up for all the time lost. lol.... I still might go for anouther system to be able to play around with, and maybe stick with 3S and this system going in a Slash 4x4.. But... Think im gonna bite the bullet and go for 100mph after all. Of course thats gonna require a Rusty body, New tires, 17mm extensions, etc...But..The braggin rights here in my State where I dont think anyone has done this yet, will be awesome...

First, Ive had a swami bar for alittle... But arrived in rough shape. Not on bottom, that looked good/fine, But on top was marked, and scratched... hmm

But ended up giving her a polish, like she should...

BUT.... Biggest thing is.... BAM!

Castle Mamba Monster, and Silver Can ERBE 2200kv motor... Just got in the mail today..Just like christmas.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 06-02-2012 at 03:04 AM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Thing is a monster! literally... lol.

Just got give a comparison... Its as wide as a battery tray. Actually fits perfectly snug in there...

Big ol 5mm shaft like the Pro4 I got... Love it.

But its definatly a thing of beauty

Of course it needs some protection

Swami Bar Shiney, Reflecting the motor, like it shoulda!

[

Its funny to me that this systems price is more than the cost of many RTRs, even with their own BL systems. lol... its a monster for sure, and a thing of beauty... Will have to order some good extensions now, and some tires. Thinkin some GRPs.. Well see, and go for the gold. Even if I take it out, and put a more , "normal" system in, hitting 100mph would be sick, as id have the fastest Rustler in my State, No doubt...

How shes looking. Sad.. Shes even got dust, and those tires are still brand new. lol

Btw.. For the record. How a MMM, Compares to a MMP in size...

The recent expanded collection... Right to left. Mamba Monster, Mamba Max pro, Sidewinder SV2, Original Sidewinder

Thanks for checkin it out!

Never knew you were active in the way overpowered scene too!
    Car looks awesome. Get the rear G-Locs on the right side please, will ya Quite sure you already noticed that yourself or did it on purpose for some reason.

Nice collection of Castle stuff you got there.
    Nobody is born with experience

lol.. Full of suprises eh? Ya I knew, I was trying it out... But just looking, I have yet to tape and glue em thanks man.... I got away from the idea at first, than I found this system for a pretty decent deal, and its made me re-think everything. lol.

But if it doesnt work out, I can throw this system in the next build... Slash 4x4

I have the MMP/2400 in the Bandit now which makes it clear to me that I dont want more power in this kind of cars. The current speeds are enough for me and I got a bit bored with speed running anyhow.
    The 4x4 Slash is on my list too, but I need more storage room for my cars. I got them in the living, but out of sight. The Slash wont fit there.

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    LooT you are crazy my friend!! I have a MMM 2200 in 2 big beasts and the power is just out of this world. It can litterally do standing backflips with them. I can only imagine what it would do to such a light rig. LOL Clean, very very clean! I have a black motor can in my ERBE and the green one in my EMBE. Just plain wow. I can't wait for you to take her to the road, just make sure you have your girl around, cuz she gonna have to scoop your jaw off the ground.

Oh and you did a fantastic job polishing up the ole Swami. You making me jealous, once i finish my Desert Rat 4x4 Slash build i'm going to hit up the Digger and clean her up. I think she's a bit jealous.

Man I have so much catching up to do. Besides the 2 obvious above, I need to slap the MMM I stole for my Sl4sh build above and put the brand spanking new one in back in my ERBE. The one I borrowed from it only had a dozen runs and a straight connector. The one going in the ERBE will have the Series one. Perfect!

I'm running quite a few combos, just not the big ones some have. 2x MMM 2200, MMM 2650, MMP 2400, MMP 3800, Sv2 3800, & lastly my hybrid Sv2 VXL-3500kv.

You definitely got some good combo's going on LooT. Great builds my friend totally jealous. Wish we was closer so we could bash.

@ Peter. Man i'd like to see ya build a sweet look'n Sl4sh in the future. Not sure if i've seen one of your builds or not.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Nice job Loot! I think you had better get a junker Rusty body for "testing" purposes. Have you thought about the XO-1 wheels/tires since they are rated for 100+ mph?? I think those could look pretty sweet on a Rusty, but I would have to see them side by side to a Rusty set. I'm not sure how big they are. I think I speak for everyone here, VIDS PLEASE!!! dc
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

I will never be able to reach you guys levels, so I better stick to replying
    I only have a Bandit and Merv that are far from stock, nothing really special about those. At least not compared to builds like this.

ha... BOom TTthree with the zing! lol. Awesome thanks man! lol. U mean on my Rustler APPLICATION? haha.... Cuz my mamba application, has alot of aluminum application, and needs some new street tires applicaiton, ..application. lol But thanks man, I swear the guy doesnt even drive his cars! Hit Pede doesnt have a spec of dirt hidden anywhere, and the tires are brand new. IF they had the little rubber dealies new 1:! car tires do, all of his would have it. haha... Anyone who says that about my builds..

One word..or a thousand. ya..

lol... But Peter: You do some great builds man, and I love your bandit.. Love the look u got, and it looks like a speed demon. I agree with Digger, and Id love to see your version of a slash 4x4. I thought u had a Pede 4x4, boss and all the other goodies in ur avatar. I love em all! Especially u got the mini-pede as a merv.. Its way sick, and made me think twice about going forward on the Boss Rally, instead of going the Merv route.

Digg: WOW thats alot of combos my friend... Thats some serious Mamba Monster action.. Thats away sick.. But I know right! The motor is SO heavy! Its nuts... Its almost the size of my Redbull cans I seem to drink way too much. lol. I have a feeling it wont stay in the Rusty and itl be WAY to much power... but.... I still think that hitting 100mph wil be some sick bragging rights lol. And Its been done, so im not doing anything, TOO stupid. lol. As for the polishing the aluminum.. It was way easy,and done by hand. And the VXL motor took a few hours cuz of the anodizing, but the swami bar only took like half hour to polish her up start to finish. 320grit,600 grit, than 1000grit, than mothers polish. Didnt even go as far as 2000 on it, and It still have a mirror finish. There was a couple deep gouges that I got mostly off, but iits up against the chassis anyways so its all good.

DC: Thanks man, Ya I totally have thought about the XO wheels/tires.. I think that might be the way I go. ! Il try to get some vids asap..

Im gonna have to get a new body, weights,wheels/tires.. etc..

Also... Digg, im super excited to see how your Sl4sh runs on the MMM combo. !

nice come back Absoloote1 looks you took your time while choosing your stuff , but it's all looks nice except the body imo.

Thanks Desert And I appreciate the honesty. The body is alittle boring, and will get some decals. Its still not done. Il be getting a Rusty clear body for high speed runs. but its all good..

U not like thse Raptor bodies?

i like the aggressive looking more.
    the jsconcept body that Peterje painted it captured me to the point i ended making a replica of it for my rustler.

keep updating . it looks that you'll enjoy it so much at the end.

oh I see Thanks man, ya I feel ya. I got a clear Rustler body coming for Speed runs. I like the combo of the Glocs with that body. It looks like an agressive, street truck. But ya, a more "high speed" dragster the Rustler or Jconcepts body with slicks is way chill...

RC Qualifier
    A quick question how much did it cost to build it, the cost of The parts at the beginning

ha.. Good question. I spend alot on extra stuff also, so its hard to get an accurate number. For example I had some RPM arms on, than Protrac, now RPM arms are going back on since im goin for 100mph.. Plus. I dont wanna know haha

RC Qualifier
    That car is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    I swear, it gets more expensive all the time since you need more parts to improve the build. Same for me, even though I dont run 100 mph.
    OH ya... My addiction is expensive all the time anyways. I just stopped counting and started just handing over the debit card more. lol. Itd be always getting upgraded, changed anyways. Ive even had thoughts of changing out the color.

Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    That car is amazing!
    Thanks seanycool

Hey Guys, Haven’t done an update in quite some time. However the work never stops. I’ve been either working on this rig, the others, the workspace, or bashing of course. There seldom goes more than 24 hours without my attention on the hobby, and always not cuz I want to (the wifey : ) So although the update hasn’t been there, the work never stopped, and I am happy to say. She is JUST about done!

Alright, So picking up where left off before, Here it is.

First step was installing the gearing... To get it to fit, I had to lengthen the bottom slide hole, Also installed the Integy 34T Spur.

To Lengthen the bottom slide hole, I hate to use a dremel Tungsten Carbine Bit. For anyone interested, its this size. Defiantly an pricier bit at 11 bucks, but worth it. This is also the right size, for best job.

Thank came the XO-1’s 34T pinion. Reason this slide hole had to be lengthen so much

The finished product general view

Next was the front spoiler, and Red Aluminum Tie Bar, Along with STRC hinge pins just for the front inner section, that way not using pins with E-Clips. As for the bumper, Everybody takes the RPM front bumper and turns it upside down. Instead, to keep the better looking top side up. I clamped it in my vice, got some very wide sheet metal pliers aimed my heat gun, and bent it right where I saw fit. When it cooled, it stayed in its new form. Strong as every.

Next came the wheel adapters. AKA Adapters, as per suggestion of local community. And a great suggestion at that. They are great, and mount real nice and sturdy also.

Installed..

Than of course, replaced the drive shafts from the MIPs I had on, as a mock, to the Slash/Stampede 4x4 Shafts.

Of course to use 17mm hexes, one needs a hex tool. Picked up a more simple 9 dollar Losi one for the Basher bag, to take on the go… But for the workspace, picked this one up. Overpriced for sure…. But very nice tool, and very fine craftsmanship

Lots of pictures, but I wanted to give anyone who is interested in XO wheels a real good look. Some people think they are too big, some don’t. I thought they were on the big side, but they grew on me quickly… I very much liked the way they look. I heard of a specific person saying they wobble, I think with some balancing, and right setup they be good for certain streets/conditions. Also, their cost are higher compared to say Jacos. With Adapters, and wheels/tires, cost is around 140 for them. But also, to try conditions, and knowing id get use, and experience out of different set-ups, I also picked up some GRPs, and Jacos
    GRPs

Jacos

Next thing I did, Was custom make these. With some careful measuring and trimming, I made these on the top plate. Since the batteries will be help with straps, I added these for lateral support. They work super well. I used the 15mm posts that comes with the Battery expansion kit for a Stampede.

Next of course the Speed Control Mounted.

For a while I was gonna mount them on top of the ESC Plate. With that done, I made some 3inch connectors. Used 10awg(guage) wire, with 6.5 mm connectors (Same as Mamba Monster)

Than installed some HR extra Long Aluminum Slipper Pads

Than Came the wiring. Had to clean it up… that and shortened up the antenna.

After wiring the Servo and ESC, I ended up extending the Wire to the Switch. Wanted to mount this one to a good place, and have it sit In the place designated in the chassis. So cut the switch wire in half, than lengthened it to be able to do so. This is how I ran it. Under the tray, as the others. Also … Like my other builds,  Mounted a NOS bottle  Also, Showing the Braided wire covering, covering the rest.

Than, As you may have snuck a peak from other pics, The XOs were changed out with the GRPs to be the first additional run. Also, The Battery’s mounted, and how they are held on. The bottom battery is braced in place very snug like, (snuggly) lol With the stock brace and all, than the top battery is strapped to it.
    Also had not realized just how long it had been since I had updated, So u can see the front end complete. With shocks mounted and all the good stuff.

The Ride Heigth.

What the Raptor body looks like with the GRPs..

Next, is weights’… These defiantly will fly up above 70 or so, without some weights on the front… So heres what happened… With me, spending this much time on the rig, I am not trying to have some ugly weights up front, butchering the whole vehicle. So this is what I did….

First I purchased the weights from a local auto parts store. 35 bucks for a big ol box, than I took the weights, and mocked em up. Than cut them, accordingly to lengths I needed. Rubbed the ends on a hammer, to flatten out the ends. The lead is very soft, so it smoothed em out quickly. Than rubbed the weights with steel wool. Don’t want to sand em or anything too abrasive, as of course lead dust is very toxic. The steel wool polished it very nicely, and got it ready for paint.

Primed, and Painted

Than mounted, I have 16.5 ounces. So half ounce over 1 pound. With a strip I have on the underside, to even out the left and right side (not exact) I have 19.5 ounces.

After that, came mocking up the weights, and ready for cover.

What I did, was I used .10 pvc, with Carbon Fiber decals on top, Reason for that is so the decal would no sink into the weights, and take their form. They’d stay flat and straight. Than for the top plate, I did the same, except the top plate I sandwiched it between two pieces of .10 pvc. Held on by sound industrial strength, not sold in stores, super strong double sided tape from 3M. Stuff is off the hook.

Top plate is sandwiched between two pieces, so I am able to put things on top. Stickers, GPS, etc.. Here is the finished product.

Pretty much last but not least, The fan on the Castle motor. Wired the same, with wire braiding, Routed clean. Pretty much the biggest reason for the fan, is for motor protection. Second of course being cooling.

And…. Last but not least, As I had uploaded these pics, and creating the thread, my Gyro came in the mail. Il be doing some re-wiring, and of course be covering its wire as well. I will also be looking into a GPS unit, and where to put it into. The actual vehicle is done, been fired up, and is a MONSTER on 6S. Incredible the acceleration it has. Even makes the GRPs balloon a bit, and they are some belted anti balloon tires. Wild.. Love it.

The body will be the last show, except the Gyro, and GPS before the drive. I also got my 40$ dynamite balancer today, to balance those tires real well, and have to replace the bearings…. Keep tuned to see the very last of it. Thanks for checking it out, I know it took some time

Here is a hint of the body, and the direction I am heading…

Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 09-13-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Also, Curious to see how a T8 stacks up against a MMM. They are the exact same width, but the 2050kv T8 is just a bit shorter. 1/8th of an inch shorter. The T8 1700kv for example is pretty much exact same demensions...

Can see a good motor comparison. Venom 300kv (380 inside 540 with fins basically) a 3300kv Pro4... Tekin T8, and Castle Monster.

Pro4 vs T8

Also, Added to the collection of SPC battiers. A couple for the 1/16 scale, one more 2S to complete 4, and one more 3S to have two for this vehicle.

RC Qualifier
    There are xl5 rustlers everywhere that want to be like yours when they grow up.. That thing looks amazing man,cant wait to see some videos.

hehe I like that Thanks man,I appreciate it. Im excited to see it finally see her done. Funny thing, itl be done, that the weather is gonna turn sour on me. lol. Its all good

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    LooT some awesome stuff there my friend. You do one of the cleanest builds around. Just think a little over a year ago we were nothing but truck bashing dudes and now we are dabbling in different areas of Traxxas RC. LOL

What's the color scheme going to be any teasers?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Thanks brotha man, I appreciate it. And I know right? We have come a LONG way! Thats for sure.

As for the color scheme, something very bright... Gotta be able to see the thing wooshing by

Glad to see you back posting, Loot. Always great to watch your builds being done with that nutsy eye for details

RC Racer
    Hey Ab:
    What size or type of washers are those? Or are they just generic? Truck looks great!!!

Thanks fellas ! ^ Glad to be posting too! Had a hard time pullin up the forum for a bit there, during the small chances I had to post. Things seem to be much smoother now.

Chest: if your talking about the Red Washers, they are 3mm Aluminum Washers from Racers Edge. They come in different types, and colors.

RC Racer
    Thanks man; picked up some this weekend: forgot to ask; what did / are you using for the front wing?

loot you reppin 1984? This build is straight up bad! The attention to detail in every single area is amazing.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutjazz View Post
    Thanks man; picked up some this weekend: forgot to ask; what did / are you using for the front wing?
    Nice man. RPM Bumper, remolded upside down, and a Team Associated Random wing from my lHS.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast