RC Enthusiast

Question about running 3S LIPO for my 1/16 EREVO VXL

Im getting my 1/16 EREVO BRUSHLESS in a few days and i want to get two(2) 3S lipos! Im pretty sure i need a series connector to run them in parallel. Would it be ok to do this? I dont want to ruin anything

RC Qualifier
    you want a parallel connecter to run them in parallel. a series connecter will combine the power, so 2 3s in series = 6s, which the esc cannot handle
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Qualifier
    Hi Robwit, have you had any experience with electric motors and speed controllers before?

the stock esc sometimes has heat issues with 3s (depends on weather, air temperature, driving style etc etc). i would recommend for you to buy a non contact thermometer (******* ones for about $20 on ebay), this way you can keep an accurate check on the electronics. you will also need change the pinion from the stock 28tooth to the supplied "speed" 23tooth pinion, this just lowers the strain on the motor + esc + your batteries.

if you still have heat issues, i recommend for you to drop down a couple of teeth, 21T, 19T or so. so it might be helpful to purchase some spare pinions

enjoy your merv!

Congrats on your purchase!!

I highly recommend getting 2S instead of 3S, especially for your first time with the MERV;
    as a general rule 2S is fun, 3S is fast until the power breaks stuff 40 seconds into the pack.
    Without extensive upgrading, the MERV really cannot handle 3S.
    The ESC fries, the axles pop, the knuckles break, the rods bend... ect.

I get consistent 30mph runs with 2S in parallel and about 1 hour run times with 23/50 gearing.
    I can run these batteries all day long without breaking down with these improvements:
    RPM arms
    HR Knuckles (GPM recommended)
    Steel hollow balls
    ******* 390 servo
    Center differential
    Shimmed bulkheads

Definitely order some 21141 Associated shims for your ring and pinion... explained here.

Hope you have fun!!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree with the above statements %100... don't start with the 3S for 2 reasons:

First: It DOES take a little more knowledge to run 3S. Things like gearing, heat, slipper settings etc etc... you just need to have a base line of knowledge before you should be throwing 12.6 volts at vehicle like the MERV.

Second: 2S is REALLY FAST... faster than your expecting. If you jump straight to 3S you have no where to go from there. Start with 2S... you'll find it becomes you general bashing setup. Then, get a 3S pack down the road (you really only need one on a stock MERV) and use it for crazy speed runs and times when you want to show off.... If you go straight to 3S, what are you going to do to impress yourself down the road?

RC Competitor
    I think that 2's are TONSSS of fun! I have ran 3's before, and I honestly had less fun with them. Reason being:
    - Whenever I would get it up to a really fast speed, I couldn't have fun cause I was too concerned about wrecking it
    - They made my car constantly backflip whenever Id give it a decent amount of juice
    - They made my motor and ESC get really hot

Honestly, I believe that you really only need 3 cell LiPo's if your planning to do speed runs with it. I mean, I think that if you are just gonna do some bashing or entry level racing, then 2's are completely sufficient. I know lots of my friends who right off the bat got a 3 cell LiPo when they bought their cars and right away smashed em' into a curb (and broke it in a ton of places) cause it was way more power then they had anticipated. Sometimes less is more, and in my opinion, 2's are the way to go (in most cases).
    MERV's are the mighty mini's of the RC world!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the response everyone! How does it sound if I run one 3S Lipo or could i stick with 2 2S Lipos in parallel?

I would stick with the 2S in parallel for "every day" running.
    3S is fun every once in a while... but expect carnage.

RC poster
    Are there any mods that are needed to the MERV outside of just buying 2, 2s lipos with a parallel connector and pinion gear changes? Do I need to have a LVC between the batteries or is that just for brushless?

ESC's have LVC built in now... this thread is nearly 2 years old.

I would shim the diffs and then run it...
    Setting up your bulkhead

RC Racer
    I run nothing but 3s. you don't need to run two batteries at a time one is fine because you wont be able to get through the combined run time without having to take a cool down brake, second the second battery is unnecessary weight. if you take it easy with the throttle a little bit you w9nt break things too fast

Running twin 3S in parallel has very little to do with extending run time and more to do with doubling available amps. The small 3S batteries that fit into this platform are not capable of providing the amperage that the motor is demanding by themselves. By running two in parallel you are sharing the load and making your batteries last longer by stressing them out less.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Running twin 3S in parallel has very little to do with extending run time and more to do with doubling available amps. The small 3S batteries that fit into this platform are not capable of providing the amperage that the motor is demanding by themselves. By running two in parallel you are sharing the load and making your batteries last longer by stressing them out less.
    Are you referring to the stock VXL motor? If so there are a few 3S LiPo packs available that can readily provide the amperage required and while I do not recommend it, running two 3S packs in parallel will effectively double the runtime.

I was stating why I recommend 3S in parallel... which is for the added amperage capability and not the longer run time. I was never able to use the complete run time of my packs without over heating when running 3S.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I was stating why I recommend 3S in parallel... which is for the added amperage capability and not the longer run time. I was never able to use the complete run time of my packs without over heating when running 3S.
    Wow, really? Just curious - your 3S pack would overheat when running the stock motor? Were you running stock gearing?

Typically the VXL motor in my 1/16th Traxxas vehicles begins to overheat long before the battery pack shows any signs of slowing down and never excess battery temperatures.

Could have been crappy packs too... but yes, singles came out warm. Not too hot though as they were around 100F.

I was running box stock gearing... 28/50, a 4,000 kv motor and a 60 amp ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow again. OK.

how long do you charge the 3s lipo with the X1 charger ?

That depends on your charge rate and the mAh of the pack.

LiPo charging is not done with a timer, it is done by monitoring voltages.

the charge rate is 1c and the mAh is 1400 so?????

thanks for the answer

About 1 hour.

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should i upgrade my shocks they bottom out over little bumps andwhat is ESC
    Last edited by ant12hony; 03-17-2014 at 09:14 PM.

What shock oil are you running?
    Castle's Sidewinder 3 is a great ESC option.

just the stock oil

1st make sure they actually have oil in them... they tend to leak.
    If they do, up the thickness in them.
    HR does make decent shock bodies for the 16ths from what I read... the shocks I used are discontinued.

a merv is a good rc right

RC Qualifier
    NOOOOOOO. The stock electronics can only handle 3s. If you were to run two 3s batteries in series that would be 6s. In that tiny of a car I am pretty sure you would just destroy everything.

RC Qualifier
    ESC stands for electronic speed controller. It is what is directly wired to the motor

Thread is close to FIVE years old.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =