Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Qualifier
    You can have them for 2 or even 1. From United States (Mickey) or from Germany, it depends where you live and what is most convenient for you. They are made in Germany, the next batch is scheduled for late January.

RC Qualifier
    VIDEO! 1st part: introduction (presentation of all parts and tools)

2nd and 3rd part coming soon. Editing, conversion and upload take some time

Quote Originally Posted by Scaniris View Post
    VIDEO! 1st part: introduction (presentation of all parts and tools)

2nd and 3rd part coming soon. Editing, conversion and upload take some time
    Thank you for doing this series my vid was pretty bad yours are much better organized and layed out.This thread should be stickied for new owners to browse to get a feel for how the truck comes apart and goes together....we all know repairs are when...and not if.You have more parts on your table than the one hobby shop here ha ha.There are a few guy's doing it outa their homes, so not so bad
    Diff's are not easy to explain how to do , video is faster than i can type.lol... good work my friend
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Wait and see the 2 other videos The second one is uploading now. And the 3rd one will follow in half an hour or less. I'm happy that you enjoy my videos, I'm a beginner for RC AND for making videos on Youtube

RC Qualifier
    Video 2/3:assembly of the inner parts of the differential, i-bar filing, etc...

The second video will demonstrate how to complete the full assembly of the differential, all included (screws, ball bearings, housing, locking, etc. ....). Ready to use. Except of course the lubrication!! I'll make a 4th video later to demonstrate how to lubricate the diff with grease and oil (I bought different oils and grease and want to test and compare them)

I did not rotate the video number 2 to reduce conversion time (I have a very performant computer dedicated to photo purposes using ressource hungry 64bit applications like LR3, DXO, Niksoftware, Topaz.... but for video with Premiere, with HD videos > 1Gb per vid, the system load is heavy and you need time for conversion and upload even with a performant system)

RC Qualifier
    And here is the 3rd video. Now I have to leave for New Year's Eve!

RC Racer
    Got 10 more a couple days ago.

Happy new year everybody!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

I made a video about this famous HPP wheel hub with "secure lock" wheel nut and center nut. I've started another topic to avoid off topic discussions http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...and-center-nut

RC Qualifier
    I've been running the diff cups for a while now and they are working great. I thought perhaps the rear diff would leak a lot, but if it is leaking, it's only a little bit. So my after-use review would be 5 stars, 10/10, A+, etc. They work great!
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Competitor
    Hello,i think its time to inform someone who is "guilty" for incitation a german engineer build the first prototype cups.i p..... off ten times break my front spidergears (well shimmed and right adjusted slipper) on a stock Summit .searched for a year overseas wide for such cupps.crazy, there aluminium cupps for all kind of trucks but nothing for the biggest badest electric powered Monster!!
    i remember on a german engineer who builds special parts for trucks and crawlers many years ago and send him a mail question to fix that problem with his aircraft aluminium . he promise me some (expensive) but worth the money well build cupps,and "tata" the aluminium cupps with selectabel lockerfunction be born! i love my Summit for his wide range offroad abillity (quality) and will never sell it!! i am glad to be on this forum for so good information to fix problems! please excuse my bad english.
    Last edited by bachkrabbler; 01-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.

RC Racer
    well i guess i will be to the first to inform you all that they do still strip gears(unless i got a bad cup). Its sad to say but here are come photos. this was just before x-mas. i haven't had a chance to take it out and test the shim i put in it. i only stripped the front one, i did check the rear and it was all good.

i will keep you informed if this happens again(i hope it doesn't) jaymann was with me when it happened
    Last edited by blitz summit; 01-17-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    IfYouCan'tRunWithTheBigDogs,StayOnThePorch

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bachkrabbler View Post
    Hello,i think its time to inform someone who is "guilty" for incitation a german engineer build the first prototype cups.i p..... off ten times break my front spidergears (well shimmed and right adjusted slipper) on a stock Summit .searched for a year overseas wide for such cupps.crazy, there aluminium cupps for all kind of trucks but nothing for the biggest badest electric powered Monster!!
    i remember on a german engineer who builds special parts for trucks and crawlers many years ago and send him a mail question to fix that problem with his aircraft aluminium . he promise me some (expensive) but worth the money well build cupps,and "tata" the aluminium cupps with selectabel lockerfunction be born! i love my Summit for his wide range offroad abillity (quality) and will never sell it!! i am glad to be on this forum for so good information to fix problems! please excuse my bad english.
    Thanks bachkrabbler this diff cups probably wouldnt be made if you didnt find a company to make them!

Quote Originally Posted by blitz summit View Post
    well i guess i will be to the first to inform you all that they do still strip gears(unless i got a bad cup). Its sad to say but here are come photos. this was just before x-mas. i haven't had a chance to take it out and test the shim i put in it. i only stripped the front one, i did check the rear and it was all good.

i will keep you informed if this happens again(i hope it doesn't) jaymann was with me when it happened
    The pictures are not showing up? what were you doing with your summit when you stripped the gears?

I was with him when it went...nothing major fairly easy stuff.i have a feeling that when he installed,He maybe didn't file the i bar enough to allow it to settle all the way down?,This was before the vids about how to do it were up.I have been hard on mine for some time now the rear is still the prototype i originally
    installed.the front was a new one from the first run.still fine i have gone out of my way doing stupid stuff.hi gear locked donuts bashing around locked in hi gear not just picking up the truck right away when it's in a spot i know will be unfriendly to the diff's.
    Nothing not a whimper.the only thing i did different was packed mine with hi temp marine grade bearing grease.diffing out is not a problem...thats what lockers are for, the grease is pretty thick and won't wash out maybe it is helping to dissipatete heat?,for sure has to be reducing the snapping shock loads that the spiders are taking.I am sure it is creating some drag(All the grease is slowing them down a bit trying to spin through the goop)I am not sure .I haven't broken any thing since.i also switched to boca sealed ceramic bearings for the inner and outer pinion bearings as they failed a few times(long before i ran brush less)I also don't run brush less all the time in the winter i run my dewalt.only lost one ring gear since,testing with the slipper locked up and locked in high gear being foolish and NOT using throttle control.Pretty near every diff grenade i have had has been either the ring gear screws backed out or ripped out and that started the destruction.i have only destroyed one and a half diff's brushless and about 10 with the dewalt.Yes where We run is hard on equipment.the reason i went looking and talked to bachkrabbler.and then georg...before i even thought about brushless, I was tired of rebuilding them regularly
    Last edited by jamann; 01-17-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I get mine in the next couple weeks, looking forward to getting them in and testing it out myself, what is everyone running for diff oil in these things besides marine bearing grease? And thanks jamann for getting these things off the ground, I understand you were very involved in getting these done!

Also I dont want to step on any toes, but I have 4 of them I will probably put up for sale, I needed 6, so I figured I would order a 10 pack and sell off the other 4, anyone needing them up here in Canada or US let me know, once gone they are gone.

RC Qualifier
    500K Traxxas diff oil and Ofna 125000w diff oil both work great. The first time you use the Traxxas stuff you will not believe they can make a fluid so thick and sticky. Even if you blew a O ring it would take forever to leak out. I used marine grease on one and it worked good but swelled the O rings and gaskets badly. Maybe a synthetic grease would work better but that is what silicone diff oil is and grease is just oil with a soap thickener added.

RC Racer
    sorry you guys, go to my photo bucket here( i can't get the photos to work for some reason)

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/Blitzsummit/
    IfYouCan'tRunWithTheBigDogs,StayOnThePorch

RC Champion
    hmm looks painfull blitz

RC Qualifier

It's done, I've ordered 2x additional aluminium diff cups to built two additional aluminium diffs (already have 2 as you know), but that time... with hand made hardened steel gears It will take 4-5 weeks to make them, and 2-4 weeks for hardening. It is not molded of course, but hand made, milled from high quality steel, and hardened professionally.

So in 6 to 9 weeks, I'll be able to see if there is any benefit of buying expensive hand made hardened steel gears over having ''only'' aluminium diff cups with molded iron original Traxxas gears.

Of course I'll give my feed back with photos and videos. Be aware that the gears are built to order and not standard parts. And I don't know if the return of investment is as good as for the aluminium diff cups. Not many reports of broken gears with aluminium diff cups... lots of reports of broken gears with stock plastic cups (also because only few people have aluminium diff cups... of course).

Finally the aluminium diff cups are not the solution for a never broken diff, but they do reduce the risk to break some gears because they correct a weakness of the diff (plastic cup) that provoke lots of issues reported on this forum and on others.

For the price of the hardened steel gears, you can buy many many many many stock gears... but the time we need to rebuild diffs diff each time we break it is the time we don't use to play with the Summit on the field.

I've been doing some research on differentials...

It seems the ones that are the strongest have spiral cut gears instead of straight cut like in the Summit, Revo, lil Revo, ect.

This is probably impossible to convert... but I thought it would be worthy of mentioning since you are having gears made to order. lol
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    ya i think ive seen gears like that ^^^ in a kyosho(?) inferno but im just woundering if you can back up or not

Absolutely.
    This is actually how gears are in 1:1 differentials.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Good idea, I can ask if it is possible. But.... is it is milled steel, then hardened, it will be more resistant compared to molded steel. But of course if the spiral is possible, I'll ask for it, thank you for the idea!

RC Competitor
    i think there are many people glad with the stock cupps and never brake a part.but there are some guys take the summit to the limit and over and these people search for some "upgrade".

RC Champion
    i just got the aluminum diff cups today but bachkrabbler i am one of the people that will probably never break a spider gear unless it wears out but its nice knowing that you can pound on the truck with less worries

RC Racer
    Nice! Well you wont have to worry about fixing your diffs anytime soon once you install the new diffs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    fixing them whats that lol i have owned my summit for just over a year and havent even put or replaced the diff fluid in the diffs(same with the shocks)
    i find the summits wheight is enoght for most things

has there been eny more problems with the aluminum diffs yet? or is everybody happy

has enybody used them in a revo platform? like a 6s bash on brushless

RC Racer
    I would love to find better gears to go in the cups. I've had to replace 2 sets up front. My plastic cups have not broke yet. And I agree the inside is very similar to some 1:1 locking diffs I have worked on. Not like an ARB locking mechanism but the rest is similar.

I haven't rebuilt one since I installed them... Months of hard use.snow rain mud sand. They are still doing fine
    The rear is still the prototype one from the first batch made.that one I had to make work,still going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Been a while since an update here, anything going on? Still happy? Thank you.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-29-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Content

RC Competitor
    These things are still going strong in my summit after months of abuse, have not had any diff problems so far so I am quite happy, any other reports on how they are holding up for others?

Also Scaniris, thanks for taking the time to make these videos, I have been using them for reference alot lately.

All Buying/Selling/Trading belongs in the Market Place subforum only.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-16-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123