Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Slash 2wd vs 4x4

I am going to be getting a new sct soon and am either going to get the slash 2wd or 4x4. Whitch one should i get?????????????? What would i notice for differences both on and off the track? Any info you guys have would be helpfull. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Its kinda hard to tell you witch one is better.. They are completely different.. But 4wd has better off road capabilities.

Try driving both before buying one!

I have both and prefer the 4x4. I do think Draggin has a good idea. Drive both and choose for yourself
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    How can I test them. Im going to be buying used either off here of ebay?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxKid View Post
    How can I test them. Im going to be buying used either off here of ebay?
    find someone that has one...

RC Qualifier
    Thats the problem. Everyone around here that I know hates traxxas and perfers associated and losi. I have owned all 3 myself and like traxxas better by far. Maybe when I start kickin their *** with my slash that I get they will buy one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what do you want to do with it? if you want to race the 4x4 is the one, 2wd is very nice, but it needs more mods to make it a race car.

RC Qualifier
    I bought a 2wd because there is less to break/maintain because all i want to do is bash hard. Im die hard awd/4wd fan dont get me wrong but there are certain driving techniques that only apply to 2wd which can be great fun ...same goes for 4wd
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Qualifier
    Ya I have decided to buy my dads rustler vxl off him and put the STRC LCG kit on it and convert it to slash from there. Should be pretty sick. Will be a total of $200 to fully convert. (that is having everything rpm/upgraded)

RC Qualifier
    i think the 2wd will make you a driver . i guess you need to think of what you will be doing with it . what do your buddies run ? get something close to what they are running . it is always great fun if everyone is close in performance

RC Qualifier
    The 4wd definitely has more of a punchy feel (mainly due to the 4wd) and has a lower cg out of the box compared to the 2wd.
    SSC SLASH 4X4 (Long gone...)
    Slash 4x4 PE LCG

RC Qualifier
    Well like i said im converting a rustler to a slash 2wd and putting the strc lcg kit on so it will have a lower CoG compared to the stock 2wd and stock 4wd.

RC Qualifier
    well after driving my new 4wd for 2.5-3hrs last nite I have to say its much more fun to drive on slippery surfaces!

RC Qualifier
    ya. i just tried a 1/16 slash the other day and it pretty cool. I love the 4x4. I am selling it though cause i want a 1/10 slash.

RC Champion
    I have both 4wd and 2wd rc cars, the 4wd is easier to control in dirt but nothing like a 2 wheel drift in the dirt. I cheet some times though as I have a gyro installed in the 2wd and plug it in when no one is looking. On my 2wd brushless Slash it really helps keep it straight under hard acceleration and breaking as well. When I first used the gyro my kids and grandkids etc thought I had been practicing alot....Of course I have
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I have a Slash 2wd. I prefer it because if you break something in the 4wd it's really hard to replace! So... that's what I say.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    I have a Slash 2wd. I prefer it because if you break something in the 4wd it's really hard to replace! So... that's what I say.
    Whats hard to replace, yes their are more parts, but being a guy that owns an 8 second race car nothing about these seems hard to work on. I kinda like working on mine. Looking forward to tearing it down and doing major maintainance on it. I'm waiting on the next part to break so I have something to do to it. After each bashing session I hose it down in the sink, don't tell the wife about this. then take it out to the garage and blast it with air, run it for a few seconds, and bring it in and put it over a floor vent to let the heat dry it out. So far it has given me no problems. I do have a complete bearing kit and plan on replaceing all of them in the near future. Then I will tear apart the old ones and inspect them, clean and re-oil, put them on the shelf and wait for the next major maintenance tear down.

RC Racer
    I have both and I like them both. The 4x4 is definitely easier to drive and goes through the grass better if you're just doing some backyard bashing. The 2wd is a little more challenging to drive, but that's what makes it fun. However if you can only get one I would go with the suggestions of the other posters, to test drive and see which one you like. Try before you buy...who knows, you may end up with both

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I have both 4wd and 2wd rc cars, the 4wd is easier to control in dirt but nothing like a 2 wheel drift in the dirt. I cheet some times though as I have a gyro installed in the 2wd and plug it in when no one is looking. On my 2wd brushless Slash it really helps keep it straight under hard acceleration and breaking as well. When I first used the gyro my kids and grandkids etc thought I had been practicing alot....Of course I have
    What gyro are you using, make and modle please?
    Brustler
    Slash
    E-Maxx
    1/16 E-Revo

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
    Whats hard to replace, yes their are more parts, but being a guy that owns an 8 second race car nothing about these seems hard to work on. I kinda like working on mine. Looking forward to tearing it down and doing major maintainance on it. I'm waiting on the next part to break so I have something to do to it. After each bashing session I hose it down in the sink, don't tell the wife about this. then take it out to the garage and blast it with air, run it for a few seconds, and bring it in and put it over a floor vent to let the heat dry it out. So far it has given me no problems. I do have a complete bearing kit and plan on replaceing all of them in the near future. Then I will tear apart the old ones and inspect them, clean and re-oil, put them on the shelf and wait for the next major maintenance tear down.
    +1... I think working on them is just as much fun as driving them. I usually buy my cars part by part just so that I can put them together. Traxxas need to have kit vehicles as options.
    Brustler
    Slash
    E-Maxx
    1/16 E-Revo

RC Racer
    can you explain this please. would love more info

RC Qualifier
    He has a gyro installed in his 2wd truck. Are you not familiar with gyro's ?

RC Enthusiast
    i had both and i personally preferred the 2wd with the vxl over the 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelneckrc View Post
    can you explain this please. would love more info
    A gyro is used to help stabilize something. Mostly used on helicoptors, called head gyros, as that is where I got the idea from flying helicopters. I have found for cars or trucks the least expensive one is a "exceed rc drift gyro. They work excellent on electric vehicles but not as well on gas powered rigs as the vibration makes the gyro act up at certain rpm's, not a problem with smaller nitro cars or trucks.
    I'm working on a solution on my 1/5 scale buggy and will be testing this weekend at Glamis sand dunes. Hope this info helps a little...Now just go and
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    A gyro is used to help stabilize something. Mostly used on helicoptors, called head gyros, as that is where I got the idea from flying helicopters. I have found for cars or trucks the least expensive one is a "exceed rc drift gyro. They work excellent on electric vehicles but not as well on gas powered rigs as the vibration makes the gyro act up at certain rpm's, not a problem with smaller nitro cars or trucks.
    I'm working on a solution on my 1/5 scale buggy and will be testing this weekend at Glamis sand dunes. Hope this info helps a little...Now just go and
    just curious but why do you want toput that on a 1/5

RC Champion
    I put the gyro on the buggy as when running on our track here at the house, under hard or full throttle acceleration the buggy was spinning the tires and some what difficult to control and when the gyro was installed it would hold a straight line much better.... With that said when I went to Glamis Sand dunes for New Years the gyro was not needed in the deep soft sand as both rear wheels hooked up perfict.
    When running in lose soil over hard pack I have just like the assistance a gyro provides under very hard running, it will react much faster than a person can respond to the side to side movement of the vehicle in use. Just me.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Can you tell me of a good place to purchase one and do you have some pictures of one instaled.
    Brustler
    Slash
    E-Maxx
    1/16 E-Revo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by adonismp82 View Post
    Can you tell me of a good place to purchase one and do you have some pictures of one instaled.
    A couple of pictures for you and they may be purchased from Hobby Partz. It is called a Exceed RC Gyro and real easy to install, just unplug steering servo from receiver, plug servo into Gyro and plug Gyro into steering servo spot on your receiver. Since the gyro is not water or dust proof I put a piece of tape over the top where the adjustments can be made if needed.

Slash with paddles....really hooked up in the sand @ the Glamis sand dunes this past week.

"enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Speed: 4x4
    Off roading: 4x4
    Track: 4x4
    Moneywise: 2wd

RC Qualifier
    I have had both 4x4 and 2wd at the same time. planned to keep them both forever until I started breaking parts on the 4WD and not breaking anything on the 2wd. the 2wd is less maintenance and handles the abuse better. Its more capable suspension geometry as far as landed those big jumps. Less parts to break equals less time fixing your truck. When you buy upgrades there is less to take apart to install. you get the idea...the list goes on

I sold my 4x4 and bought a spare 2wd. It's the way to go imo. But don't get me wrong I had a blast with that 4x4 doing things the 2wd can't like high speed drifts and sliding around of all sorts. It holds way more speed in the loose/wet stuff than the 2wd. And on snow the 4wd smoked the 2wd because it was the only one that would move

If you plan to jump alot get the 2WD...if you want to bash...get the 2wd...if you want to take it lil easier on the jumps but tear it up in the dirt/loose pack stuff/mud etc then get the 4wd

*why dop people think the 4wd is faster? my 2wd is faster when geared the same. probably because all the extra moving parts = resistance in the 4WD? and the 4WD is heavier? makes no sense that a heavier 4wd would go faster than lighter 2wd with same power system. just sayin
    Last edited by RallySoob; 01-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.

RC poster
    I have to say the 2wd is really a handful, especially when modified. I bought it for my son, and the Titan 12T it comes with kept burning up. Upgraded to a Velineon/VXL combo, and it's just too hard to control. The wheels spin constantly and therefore it spins out on loose surfaces and pulls wheelies on pavement. It has always had a roll over problem, and the extra power just makes this worse. It is a great car, takes a beating and just keeps going, but it is a little frustrating trying to drive it consistently.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-15-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Language

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you want to learn about gyros, use the search.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=Gyro

Also, orca44, I doubt it makes a noticable difference, but your gyro isn't mounted on a level surface, your getting tiny amounts of steering when the truck pitches. If you get the gyro level, it'll be more accurate.

RC Champion
    4x4 all the way, but the problem is, taking it apart, if you strip a gear, you have to take the whole rear end off. I love my slash 4x4. Good speeds with the stock vilineon, too

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    If you want to learn about gyros, use the search.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=Gyro

Also, orca44, I doubt it makes a noticable difference, but your gyro isn't mounted on a level surface, your getting tiny amounts of steering when the truck pitches. If you get the gyro level, it'll be more accurate.
    Thanks for the info, good thread on "GYRO" I will be sure to make sure it is level tomorrow, it really helps now and can only imagine what it may be like when it is level and love your gyro on the throttle. I will work on one for the throttle for my Spartan as well... When that bow starts to get a little too high it should decrease throttle and bring the bow back down faster than I can ease off the throttle....YOU DA man and thanks again.
    And now I'm really going to...."enjoy my ride"
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow I've never tried it in a boat. Those bounce around so much there's no telling how it will work. Fun idea...

RC Champion
    I have tried a gyro in my Spartan to control a pair of trim tabs. I mounted the gyro on it's side instead of flat and pluged it into the 3rd channel and to an additional servo to activate the trim tabs, the system works as lifting or lowering the bow moves the servo instantly but the linkage I made was not the best so still work in progress.
    I will be going to the boat pond this weekend to try the gyro on the speed control in my other Spartan as that should be an easy test. I'm going to mount the gyro flat and also on it's side and I'll post results in the Spartan section. It may not work as planed but it'll be fun....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasman360 View Post
    i had both and i personally preferred the 2wd with the vxl over the 4x4
    So do I now i have cc sct
    Btw it's is just the same driving in mud with 2x4 than 4x4
    Last edited by slashman1219; 07-13-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxKid View Post
    Ya I have decided to buy my dads rustler vxl off him and put the STRC LCG kit on it and convert it to slash from there. Should be pretty sick. Will be a total of $200 to fully convert. (that is having everything rpm/upgraded)
    I did this to my Slash and it turned into a great basher, very difficult to flip. But it never was great on the track. I couldn't keep up with the other guys.

I also have an exceed gyro on my Rustler and it does a great job of keeping it running straight.
    Last edited by O.G.; 07-13-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Yup!!! My gyro... never (almost) drive without it!!!! LOL
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    4x4 all the way, but the problem is, taking it apart, if you strip a gear, you have to take the whole rear end off. I love my slash 4x4. Good speeds with the stock vilineon, too
    Do you own or tried both for more than a minute or two?
    Its not unusual for some one who has never given a two wheel drive a chance so say 4x4 all the way.
    The 2wd is much more challenging and capable of many driving maneuvers the 4x4 isn't.
    I have own both for a while now,and for me the 2wd wins hands down for all around fun.
    In fact the only place the 4x4 is worth running for me is on a track with other 4x4's.
    However no one in the area even races them.
    There is an indoor track about forty miles from here,that's the only place I even find other 4x4's.
    I am however thinking of building a GT-8 with the scalpel body
    Not knocking them at all,just wondering if you have given them both a real chance.

Oh,just noticed this is a very old thread,whops.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast